Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #19
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Braided SS lines, upgraded pads and sticky tires.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #20
Lux

Drives: NCP91
Yaris brakes are crap.

The problem with the NCP91 Yaris is that the brake disk cannot endure sustained and repeated stops. The Japanese RS and some European RS/TS models were slightly better due to rear disk. The current NCP131 Yaris RS/SE has larger front brakes to address the known issue. I set a personal record in September for the shortest OEM front brake disk life, which was 19 days since new.

I've taken some heat (no pun intended) about something being wrong with my installation or break-in procedure because others have experienced no issues with their brakes during autocross events...
Bullshit.
I'm the one driving my car. Not them. Doing 180 km/h to zero stops repeatedly does wonders to the material limits of our factory braking system.

Your options are to improve cooling or swap in front brakes from the NCP131.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:16 AM   #21
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Yaris brakes are crap.

The problem with the NCP91 Yaris is that the brake disk cannot endure sustained and repeated stops. The Japanese RS and some European RS/TS models were slightly better due to rear disk. The current NCP131 Yaris RS/SE has larger front brakes to address the known issue. I set a personal record in September for the shortest OEM front brake disk life, which was 19 days since new.

I've taken some heat (no pun intended) about something being wrong with my installation or break-in procedure because others have experienced no issues with their brakes during autocross events...
Bullshit.*
I'm the one driving my car. Not them. Doing 180 km/h to zero stops repeatedly does wonders to the material limits of our factory braking system.

Maybe that's true, but i'm with tmontague on this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
...if Jason and other racers on this forum said the stock brakes are more than good enough (except for upgrading pads) than that means they're good enough for me to not worry about upgrading...
End of story.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #22
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I just replaced some very old slotted rotors that I kept cleaning the rust off of every 6 months with Wagner premium rotors. They are very nice being all powder coated black on every surface except the brake pad contact area.

All I did was change rotors and immediately I had more braking power. Now that the slightly worn OEM Toyota pads have seated I think I've almost doubled the power. I also have rear discs. I only need to push my big toe onto the pedal to stop my car now, total night and day difference.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #23
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Yaris brakes are crap.

Bullshit.

There is a lot of fail happening here.

What kind of event are you doing that has you going from 180 km/h to zero repeatedly?

What kind of crap pads are you using?

Nobody is working Yaris brakes harder than we are, and we have had zero issues with the OE rotors and calipers.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #24
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
The only time I've ever felt the brakes we're inadequate on the Yaris, were with the stock pads, driving through decker cyn road in Malibu. My rotor temps hit 700 degrees, hot enough where the paint on the brake pads caught on fire. Since I've switched pads, I've never felt the brakes as being lacking.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:35 PM   #25
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Yaris brakes are crap.

Bullshit.

Huh.. I have no idea where you get this info from.. It is possible you had a faulty part from the factory though

Been autocrossing my Yaris since I bought it with 20 miles on the ticker. First autocross with my yaris had only 100 miles on it.. I literally autocross once a month since 2010 when I bought my car. I actually just changed out my brake pads the beginning of this year for Hawk HPS which in my opinion feel just like OEM but Hawk doesnt make HPS+. I still had about 30% life left in my OEM pads with 75k miles on my car....
Old 11-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #26
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
I make repeated high speed (90+mph) braking during my highway driving, along with dealing with heavy New York City stop and go traffic in the morning, I'm going on about 55,000 miles on JDM RS brakes and i'm literally about 2mm left on the pads. (Front are Hawks, rear are TOM's) There's your perspective, and don't judge, its how I drive. :)
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #27
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post

What kind of event are you doing that has you going from 180 km/h to zero repeatedly?

Nobody is working Yaris brakes harder than we are, and we have had zero issues with the OE rotors and calipers.
+1

Agree Jason and the best test bench is always the race track. Always appreciate the info you provide.

As for slotted or drilled rotors.........useless. I spent some time at the track this summer and no one uses them. Drilled/slotted it's all show and no go. SS braided lines at the wheels and top quality pads/shoes.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #28
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
no one has made mention of corolla caliper/TS rotor? they are easy to come by and easy to get quality pads.
I plan to upgrade to the corolla calipers and ts rotors only because I live in Colorado and the brakes can heat up quick on the mountain roads. rear drums are fine by me; they last forever, (just sold a civic with original rear shoes, 325,000) and work just fine. I don't know how long shoes last on Toyotas, but i'd bet at least 200,000 miles.

I have not heard the ncp131 calipers/rotors bolting up. i'm going to look into this.
what is the size on the rotor? isn't it a 5 lug? i'm checking this out...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #29
20104dr
CLIFF

Drives: 2010 4dr
I am hoing 134,000+ on my original brakes with squealing or grinding at all. But I just got a new set of everything. Now just waiting for the time to replace them.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #30
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Every time I check my brakes and prep them for winter i'm always surprised at how much pad is left on them. The Yaris is ridiculously easy on brakes.

I'm looking forward to trying out some high performance pads once the OEM's wear down
Old 11-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #31
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Braided SS lines, upgraded pads and sticky tires.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #32
JimKellyfan

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post

I beg to differ, you do not know how we all drive, as a group or individually. I did the Richard Petty driving experience at Charlotte and Bristol, and I am more of a short track guy (did better at Bristol), I definitely have been, as Mark Martin described himself, "on the edge of out of control".
I was and still think it odd/crazy/stupid/but fun that at times I drive my personal cars harder than those race cars on a track.
So, understood on your points and thanks.
More specific on my warp is only when I am spirited driving it starts to after repeated use, but not everyday driving, it stays OK, but, I just have borderline run out. Too, looking closely, I do not need to even change my pads, but will soon, wife's Camry needs a tune up, and whatnot first on list.
But, you definitely cannot say you ride harder than any one of us, as you do not know how we drive.
That said, I do agree with you stock Yota set up is great, we just want greater, and spend as little as possible to do so.
To have the Lexus handling type car while spending just a bit more than a Yaris. I love pissing the Lexus owners off when I crack into a corner at a much higher rate of speed than they can and it sticks like glue. (Just need a higher rate of spring and I can take a 90 degree turn at 50 mph with out front tire rub as it currently would do if I did, as I have done twice)
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
Old 11-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #33
JimKellyfan

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
no one has made mention of corolla caliper/TS rotor? they are easy to come by and easy to get quality pads.
I plan to upgrade to the corolla calipers and ts rotors only because I live in Colorado and the brakes can heat up quick on the mountain roads. rear drums are fine by me; they last forever, (just sold a civic with original rear shoes, 325,000) and work just fine. I don't know how long shoes last on Toyotas, but i'd bet at least 200,000 miles.

I have not heard the ncp131 calipers/rotors bolting up. i'm going to look into this.
what is the size on the rotor? isn't it a 5 lug? i'm checking this out...
Lux said earlier in this thread that the NCP131 (newer Yarii)

would work. In other threads, it has been mentioned going to the Corolla caliper has provided for spongy brakes

For rear shoes going the distance, yes, I have seen them typically last two to three times the life of pads, as the fronts do most of the work (inertia and weight). But, if going longer than two to three times the pads, I would say they are out of adjustment.

As for proper adjustment on most vehicles, rule of thumb is if E-brake goes more than half the travel of itself before useful, you are out of adjustment with rear drum brakes on cars. (some trucks need cable adjustment, about 5 times out of 100, based on my experience, most are in need of a clean and adjust)
Best to do a clean and adjust with a dump, gentle watering off and a few clicks out, followed by a few hard stops backwards and recheck) (Some, like mine, need to have shoe come off of spring for new grease application where it rubs the backing plate SO IT STOPS SQUEAKING!, OK.

Hope this helps
Old 11-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #34
enviri

By all means go for the corolla front setup! It serves me well going on 5 yrs!
Old 11-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #35
JimKellyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
By all means go for the corolla front setup! It serves me well going on 5 yrs!
Cool, what additional info can you give on yer set up ?
Old 11-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #36
enviri

I made a post when I first did it...seach more stolen parts from xd in the forums