Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
Poptom

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 Door
Possessed brake lights

Hi there. First post!
I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris. If the ignition is turned 'off', the brake lights work normally. However, if the ignition is turned 'on', the brake lights are on constantly (albeit a dimmer version of their normal self). Pressing the brake then brightens the brake lights. The same applies to when the engine is running. Once the engine/ignition is turned 'off', it takes the brake lights approximately 6 seconds to turn off completely.
I have changed what I think is a relay unit which I believe controls a multitude of things including fuel injection system, horn and brake lights. The relay in question is a long (column like) relay with three fuses plugged into the top of it, located in the fuse box under the bonnet/hood. Changing the relay hasn't changed anything :(
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Poptom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:21 AM   #2
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

Drives: 2006 Yaris 4 door 1.3l
Do you have aftermarket lights, or are they OEM ?

What you described sounds like a faulty or maybe pinched relay, but you said that this wasn't the problem, so that is kind of weird.

Can you check if the brake lights also take like 6 second to go back to normal, after you pressed the brake. Or if they go back to normal instantly after you let the pedal go.
DiCaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
Poptom

Once the brake pedal is released, the brake lights go off immediately. The 6 seconds delay is only after I turn the key off.
All parts are OEM. I'm stumped.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

I had an idea, but it seems like it's something different, since the delay is only when you turn the key off.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Poptom

Ok. thanks for trying anyway!
Much appreciated.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:48 AM   #6
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Brake lights yaris

This is unusual and puzzling. Do the brake lights fade off during the 6 second interval? Or stay at one brightness and then switch off to dark all at once? The 6 seconds may indicate something acting as a capacitor (fade) or timer (steady level), neither of which the stock base car would be expected to have (or any car on the brake circuit?)
Car forums do have a fair amount of wacky light problems, where one circuit does something to another...based on observing bulbs lighting up and/or dimming. The most common advice is to check grounds. Never hurts to check/clean bulb-socket contacts. Things generally corrode worse at the back of a car due to spray off the front wheels.
Please do tell us what you find this problem to be, or what solves it.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

I was thinking about a capacitor as well.
But it's weird since all of his parts are OEM.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
Poptom

Thanks for all the input lads.
It appears the problem lied in the connection points in the main fuse box under the bonnet/hood. I cleaned as many of the pins as I could and squeezed in/tightened the individual connections. I can't identify the exact location of the poor connection/contact but it was definitely in the main fuse box. Problem solved!