Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Jitazuki
A diesel yaris?!

Drives: 2010 UK Black Yaris HB
I want to install a HU on my UK yaris..

Title says it all, but here's my problem:

I have a UK LB yaris which comes with the head unit that looks like this one
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/i...rent=media.jpg

It essentially has no radio trim as the stock HU takes up the entire block and the dashboard sides seem to be different to the ones that i've been seeing on here. I'm not sure what I need to buy to install a 180mm or 200mm HU to my yaris.

Could anyone give me some help?
Jitazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There are quite a few threads about this, but for a double DIN HU, basically you need:

1. Either the 200mm trim (the standard US one) with the metra kit that fills the 10mm of space on either side of the HU or the 180mm trim (where the metra trim is not needed).

2. Replacements for the vertical trim pieces that don't have the holes for the radio controls.

3. A wiring adapter that plugs into the OEM radio connectors, so you don't have to cut them off when installing the new radio.

I have a complete set of the parts needed if you are interested (including either the 200mm+metra kit or the 180mm).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Jitazuki
A diesel yaris?!

Wow. I guess my searching skills weren't so good then if there are threads about this.

I want to use the 180mm one in my mums corolla as she's selling it, its basically a gps system with an mp3 and wma function with no aux or usb ports so i'd be looking to change it after a while to 200mm soon.

I'm rather interested in the 200mm+metra kit offer if you could send me the info to get them from you?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Here's a pic to explain it a bit better. The top trim piece is the standard USDM one with the 200mm opening. To use a normal aftermarket HU, you use the metra kit (the two little black pieces) to fill the gap between the sides of the radio and the opening. The bottom trim piece is the 180mm one, which looks a bit nicer with an aftermarket HU, as it doesn't require the filler strips. The vertical pieces are the USDM ones which mate with the radio trim.

Radio Trim.jpg
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Jitazuki
A diesel yaris?!

Thanks a lot for all your help CTScott! I think the 200mm one would be better for me. I wouldn't want to get the 180mm one and then decide to get a new after market HU to find out none of the good ones would fit in it! I believe that metra kit isn't sold in the uk unfortunately..

Any ideas where I can get these from in the UK? Or directly from you in that matter?