Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
ersheff

Drives: NA
passenger airbag light problem (NOT stuck on)

Hello.
I've had my 2010 Yaris for about 5 days now.
The passenger airbag light is confusing me.
When I start the car, all of the passenger lights (airbag on, off, and seatbelt) come on and then turn back off, so I know the lights themselves work.
When someone sits in the passenger seat, the airbag on and seatbelt light come on as expected.
When no one's sitting in the passenger seat, there's usually NO lights on. Occasionally I see the airbag off light, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it comes on (aside from the fact that the "off" light does not come on when someone's sitting there, so it's not totally malfunctioning).
Any ideas?
ersheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersheff View Post
Hello.
I've had my 2010 Yaris for about 5 days now.
The passenger airbag light is confusing me.
When I start the car, all of the passenger lights (airbag on, off, and seatbelt) come on and then turn back off, so I know the lights themselves work.
When someone sits in the passenger seat, the airbag on and seatbelt light come on as expected.
When no one's sitting in the passenger seat, there's usually NO lights on. Occasionally I see the airbag off light, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it comes on (aside from the fact that the "off" light does not come on when someone's sitting there, so it's not totally malfunctioning).
Any ideas?
With my development work with my passenger occupancy sensor bypass module, I noticed that as well. I believe that if the passenger occupancy sensor is not triggered the car is started then the light stays off. If the seatbelt state changes or the passenger sensors detect any shift in weight (but not enough to transition to the "ON" state), the light will switch to the "Airbag OFF" mode.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
ersheff

Drives: NA
Ahhh.
That kind of makes sense, because I realized that the time I saw the "airbag off" light intermittently turning on and off, my bag was in the seat.
Although, I think the one time I saw the "airbag off" light stay on consistently, my rail-thin girlfriend was in the seat. I guess she needs to gain some weight.
ersheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Do you have anything at all on the passenger seat? When I have a gallon jug of water on my seat, it senses it may be a baby and turns the airbag off light on.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote