Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Australia
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Gatoblanco

Drives: 2006 5 dr yaris hatch
Advice sought for basic mods - pls help noobie

I just bought a 2006 1.3L Yaris 5dr hatch. White colour. I live in Brisbane.

I want to put 17inch alloys on.

I want to get a spoiler.

I want to get a chrome fuel door cover.

I want to get a chrome exhaust tip.

I want to get tints.

Any other cheap ways to make it look sporty?

Any advice please? Particularly about the spoiler. How much are they? Where do I go? I want a spoiler that fits in with the look of the car but makes it look cooler.

Thanks in advance.

Jesse Taylor

Last edited by Gatoblanco; 03-09-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Gatoblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
33lam

Drives: The C-One Yaris
Send a message via MSN to 33lam
hey jesse, try the US ebay to get the cheap spoiler. i think it only costs about $80 to 120 including shipping (i cant really remember in my head now). But you still have to pay for the painting and installation cost which is the most expensive bit. it usually costs you around $150 to 200 for painting and fitting in brisbane. The chrome exhaust tip and fuel cap cover should cost around $100 in total i guess. Tinting costs $350 and the 17" alloys will be over $1000 definitely. feel free to ask me any questions as i also live in brisbane too! nice to meet you!
33lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Gatoblanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33lam View Post
hey jesse, try the US ebay to get the cheap spoiler. i think it only costs about $80 to 120 including shipping (i cant really remember in my head now). But you still have to pay for the painting and installation cost which is the most expensive bit. it usually costs you around $150 to 200 for painting and fitting in brisbane. The chrome exhaust tip and fuel cap cover should cost around $100 in total i guess. Tinting costs $350 and the 17" alloys will be over $1000 definitely. feel free to ask me any questions as i also live in brisbane too! nice to meet you!
Thanks mate. I have pm'd you my number. It would be wicked to meet up.
I havent actually owned a car for 10yrs believe it or not. So lots to learn as the only car I have ever owned was a 69 Kombi!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
WRW76
WRW76

Drives: Yaris
dont get fuel cover, looks real tacky. save up and get an aftermarket exhaust.you can get carbon fibre spoilers from Malaysia on ebay for about $400.Go for an induction kit as well
WRW76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:54 AM   #5
Gatoblanco

I am only looking for cosmetic modifications. Not interested in performance enhancement.

Considering black stripes like this other fella on here who has a white yaris.

Any advice around alloys??

Someone told me if you car comes with 14inch standard you can only go to 16 inch. Is that true. And anyway dont some yaris come with 15inch so what difference?

Keen to go as big as possible.

Any advice is appreciated.

Also that spoiler you are talking about is that painted already. Can you please provide the link. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
spookz
JDM yO!

Drives: '09 3dr. 5-spd
Last time I heard, you are "legally" only allowed to go 2" up from your factory size, so that insurance will cover you. Not sure if that's a myth or not..

Yep, the YRS and YRX (both 1.5L) come with 15", while the smaller 1.3L YR comes with 14". If I'm not wrong, the YR also has thinner width tires (175), while the YRS/YRX has slightly wider width tires (185).

Maybe call up your insurance peeps and get it clarified.

spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Bella

Drives: 06 Yaris YR Hatch
I'm looking at getting 17's put on my 2006 YR at the moment, and I've done my research with the NSW RTA, and you can legally only go 2" larger than the total maximum wheel diameter of any wheels sold on your car, including available after-market.

So that means if you have a Yaris YR, even though it is sold stock (generally) with 14" steelies, the YRS and YRX come stock with 15" steelies/alloys, and Toyota stocks after-market alloys in a 15". I can't find the link at the moment, but it's on the RTA 'registrations' section.
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
spookz
JDM yO!

Drives: '09 3dr. 5-spd
I've found the NSW RTA VSI regarding tyres and rims, from what I've read it states the following:
- the outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must not be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter combo specified for your vehicle and not more than 15mm less than the smallest diameter combo specified for your vehicle..

Hmm.. I actually couldn't find anything regarding the maximum rim diameter you're allowed to step up to.

It does however state guidelines regarding increase in width of rims.
Rear wheels:
- Vehicles weighing between 801-1200kg, may have a max increase in width of 1.5" over the widest wheel offered for your vehicle.
Front wheels:
- No wider than the maximum allowed for your rear wheels or 8" (e.g. if you have 8.5"+ wide wheels in rear)

spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
1NZYaris1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I'm looking at getting 17's put on my 2006 YR at the moment, and I've done my research with the NSW RTA, and you can legally only go 2" larger than the total maximum wheel diameter of any wheels sold on your car, including available after-market.

So that means if you have a Yaris YR, even though it is sold stock (generally) with 14" steelies, the YRS and YRX come stock with 15" steelies/alloys, and Toyota stocks after-market alloys in a 15". I can't find the link at the moment, but it's on the RTA 'registrations' section.

so Why not go 20's then as the yaris is stock 18" as a TRD Option
kiwi crawls back under rock

1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
Kiz

Drives: '06 Yaris Hatch and TT 300ZX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
the yaris is stock 18" as a TRD Option
Which was never sold in Australia... that won't work :p

'06 LB 2NZ-FE w/ NST crank pulley "No RWKW" | '89 2+2 VG30DETT Z32 300ZX "Lots RWKW" ;)
Kiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
elijahsami

Drives: yaris hatch & sedan
A guy on my street has 18" trd wheels on his Echo Sportivo hatch.
He bought his car second hand from Guildford Toyotas
Old 04-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
1NZYaris1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post
Which was never sold in Australia... that won't work :p
It was worth the crack
besides i wouldn't recomend anything above 16" on a yaris
due too the high rate of damage they sustain due to lack of tyre depth .
race cars use High profile tyres for a reason
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #13
hazzy

Drives: Yaris YR
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookz View Post
I've found the NSW RTA VSI regarding tyres and rims, from what I've read it states the following:
It does however state guidelines regarding increase in width of rims.
Rear wheels:
- Vehicles weighing between 801-1200kg, may have a max increase in width of 1.5" over the widest wheel offered for your vehicle.
Front wheels:
- No wider than the maximum allowed for your rear wheels or 8" (e.g. if you have 8.5"+ wide wheels in rear)
This means that technically it is possible to fit 17s legally, however only in the front, well thats what i've understood from this. Can anyone clarify?
hazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:32 AM   #14
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
Hmm yes 1.5 is the limit unless you are going to spend the money and get good tires and supper light rims you will find a huge change in performance there a less expensive ways to make your car look sport if that is what you want
tint and although I do not agree with just putting in lower springs as you are only doing half the job lowering the car can realy make 15" or 16" look real cool so insted of putting big expensive wheels on that are going to make the car handle like a boat I think you can have the car looking a lot better on 15"s look at some of our cars and see the yaris has not got much power at all the last thing you want to do is slow it down more, when it comes to making it look cool you should pick your coolness upgrads smartly like if you are going chrome there lots of parts avalabe some think the chrome looks a bit tacky but it's your car and you have to drive it so do what you want :) just be creative
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:39 AM   #15
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Stop guessing, find out from the department that matters. Wheels start page 17.
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/reso..._vehicles2.pdf
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote