Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2007, 09:24 PM   #55
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
Quote:
308757297578 HP
i dunno... thats pretty quick
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #56
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Alright, alright... 308757297577 HP
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #57
turboyaris

if you did the ITB setup.... you could have a sicknasty hood scoop to vent the fresh air right in, that would get you 31 HP guarenteed... haha nah a fully built engine with ITB can do pretty well... they like it in the NSX world
Old 04-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #58
ChinoCharles
Banned

It seems like a halfway decent idea on paper, but the jury is far from out. We haven't even started talking about this engine yet!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #59
turboyaris

yea we have only been typing....

haha sorry this is what happens when I get bored at work.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #60
ChinoCharles
Banned

Haha, its all good. I'm outta here... time for a stiff drink after a hard day.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:06 AM   #61
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
You spent $1400 on top of the $20,000 or so (at least) to have a car that was barely streetable and couldn't take a turn. Sure, smokes in a straight line, but if I wanted that I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A MUSTANG. Oh, and you're also getting a rip-roaring 9 MPG.

I could spent $18,000 out the door to have a car that I can have a bit of fun with in ANY application... daily driver, road course, drag race, anything. Not a ton of fun, just a bit. Then I can drive home between 2500 and 3500 RPM and still get 30+ MPG. I'd take that over a Cobra with 308757297578 HP any day of the fucking week. Don't even have to think twice about it.

I've been in straight line fast cars and they do nothing for me, because you still have to slow your 3 tons of GM down to 25 MPH before you can even think about turning... wait a second, why am I arguing with you?

The fact is that people continuously come in my threads and regurgitate the same opinion over and over and over and over... when the opinion has little to nothing to do with the thread topic or this car at all. It has more to do with your personal outlook on fiscal responsibility and motoring in general, and thats great! You're entitled to your opinion. I hope it makes you happy. Having said that...

PLEASE STOP TELLING ME THIS SHIT IN MY THREADS.

Thank you!
Charles,

Don't get me wrong here, but you know nothing about my Cobra. Don't start up the ignorant babble that Mustangs, Camaros, etc can't handle. It is all in how you set up the car. The 99-04 Cobras have independant rear suspension, they handle well and ride excellent. I've spent most of the money on suspension components for open tracking, not drag racing. The car has coilovers, Brembo brakes, Delrin and urethane suspension bushings Kumho MX tires and a bunch of other stuff. The car handles very well, rides decent (considering it has solid bushings and a race style setup), brakes decent, and has a ton of power.

The new mustangs 05+ have proven themselves in sports car racing, and those cars have solid axles

I get over 20 MPG on the highway. Yes it gets crappy mileage in the city, but what high HP car gets GOOD mileage in the city? NONE. Yes it is a Ford, and yes it is crappy from a build quality perspective but thats not why I bought it. I bought it to go fast and have A LOT fun in. I would have had to spend multiple thousands on my previous car (stage 4 WRX) to get a fraction of the performance I get with the Cobra and hack up a perfectly good WRX in the process. I sold the WRX and got a platform that was easier and cheaper to build upon.

My car hangs with my friends STis EVOs, M3s and M5s on "spirited" runs without much trouble. In an autocross situation, yes my car isnt optimal, but any kind of open track event it is pretty badass.

That said, If my Yaris had another 100 WHP I would probably sell the Cobra.

Again Charles, I can appriciate input and dialogue on all possible mods. I understand that comparing mods between different cars is apples to oranges, but personally I don't see the point of spending lots of time and money to get 5 HP no matter how cool or innovative the mod is.That is just me. Above bolt on mods and some kind of tune modding this motor is a waste unless you are going to turbo it, or just swap in a better platform.

The Yaris engine isn't a case of making lemonade out of lemons, its a case of making chicken salad out of chicken shit.

It's reminds me of the Honda days 8-10 years ago when guys would spend $3000 on their b16 or b18 for Type R cams, throttle bodies, manifolds, valves, springs, retainers, pistons, etc. etc. etc. and get 15 HP. Then a guy with a turbo D series beats them.

Ashley

Last edited by largeorangefont; 04-05-2007 at 09:22 AM.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #62
ChinoCharles
Banned

Okay, so how much have you sunk into your Cobra? $30k total? You said $1400 like that is really all you had done to it. Sounds like you need to spend a lot of money to get a Cobra to do many different things too.

I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm not saying I'm right. All I am saying is its really, really redundant hearing this stuff over and over again. I'm half tempted to start a thread in performance entitled "Flame Chino and his ideas" so you guys can all take your responses there and stop filling these threads with off-topic babble. This is an open invitation for anyone that wants to start that thread. I'll read it with the same zeal I read everything else here, I promise.

Again, nobody owns a fast Yaris yet so who can possibly say it can or can't be done? Only time will truly tell.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #63
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Okay, so how much have you sunk into your Cobra? $30k total? You said $1400 like that is really all you had done to it. Sounds like you need to spend a lot of money to get a Cobra to do many different things too.

I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm not saying I'm right. All I am saying is its really, really redundant hearing this stuff over and over again. I'm half tempted to start a thread in performance entitled "Flame Chino and his ideas" so you guys can all take your responses there and stop filling these threads with off-topic babble. This is an open invitation for anyone that wants to start that thread. I'll read it with the same zeal I read everything else here, I promise.

Again, nobody owns a fast Yaris yet so who can possibly say it can or can't be done? Only time will truly tell.
I wish you were closer, I'd give you a ride in it.

Spec wise, as stock the 04 Cobra compared well to Evos and STIs. The AWD cars do the slalom a little quicker and handle a bit better, and the Cobra was faster.

The Cobra was pretty cool stock. It handled well, drove well and was just a bit slower than a z06 Corvette. I just cant leave anything stock. I could have gone with lowering springs, but got coilovers which was the bulk of the suspension money. I have around $4K into it total. That includes all the guages, wideband, suspension, engine and drivetrain mods.

You definately don't need to spend alot to get a Mustang to do whatever you want relatively speaking. Most of the mods for domestic cars are much less than what you would pay for an import.

The Yaris is not a good example because there isnt a whole lot available for it. Compare my car to an STI or EVO and It will easily cost you $6K + to do similar mods to what I have done to my car (Coilovers and suspension mods, guages, exhaust, intake, turbo upgrade etc). And you would need to run race fuel to break 450 WHP or so.

You definately are not wrong. Its cool that you bring up these discussions, but the car is not a performance car. These are the types of challenges we are up against when modding a Yaris. You are going to here "Why bother?" a lot.

Yea someone will eventually have a fast Yaris but that will be it - just someone.
Look at XAs and XBs how many fast ones are out there? Very few. The Yaris will not even come close to having that kind of aftermarket support.

I've been through all this stuff before with my old roomates supercharged Camry. The car was unique and fun but what do you have in the end? You start runing into all these weird problems because you are at the absolute limit of most of the components because you hacked up the car trying to do something that it wasnt designed to do. You then realize you dumped thousands into a car that will never realize any of your goals.

Just food for thought.

Ashley

Last edited by largeorangefont; 04-05-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #64
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
I wish you were closer, I'd give you a ride in it.

The Cobra was pretty cool stock. It handled well, drove well and was just a bit slower than a z06 Corvette. I just cant leave anything stock. I just cant leave anything stock. I could have gone with lowering springs, but got coilovers which was the bulk of the suspension money. I have around $4K into it total. That includes all the guages, wideband, suspension, engine and drivetrain mods.

You definately don't need to spend alot to get a Mustang to do whatever you want relatively speaking. Most of the mods for domestic cars are much less than what you would pay for an import.

$300 for a Yaris Axleback 3-5 HP mabye.

$300 for a catback for my Cobra 10-15 HP.

Yaris Intake $200-300 3-5 HP.

Cobra intake $150 25 HP and 50 state legal.

The Yaris is not a good example because there isnt a whole lot available for it. Compare it to an STI or EVO and It will easily cost you $6K + to do similar mods. Coilovers and suspension mods, guages, exhaust, intake, turbo upgrade etc.

You definately are not wrong. Its cool that you bring up these discussions, but the car is not a performance car. These are the types of challenges we are up against when modding a Yaris. You are going to here "Why bother?" a lot.

Yea someone will eventually have a fast Yaris but that will be it - Someone.
Look at XAs and XBs hom many of those are out there? The Yaris will not even come close to having that kind of aftermarket support.

I've been through all this stuff before with my old roomates supercharged Camry. The car was unique and fun but what do you have in the end? You start runing into all these weird problems because you are at the absolute limit of most of the components on the vehicle. Why, because you hacked up car trying to do something that it wasnt designed to do. You then realize you dumped thousands into a car that will never realize any of your goals.

Just food for thought.

Ashley
If I'm ever out in SoCal again (which you can bet your ass I will be, I miss Santa Clarita), I'm taking you up on that.

You knew posting that that I would bring up the issue of relativity. I am assuming you didn't skimp out and got the Cobra with 400 HP. Thus, you can take all of those power figures on the Yaris and multiply by four... this would bring apples-oranges to tangerines-oranges. In short, I'm not discouraged by a 5 HP gain on this car, because I know that 5 HP is a relatively large gain on a car that comes from the factory with 90 HP.

Now, you raise a good point about aftermarket support. Will the Yaris ever see the support of the xA and xB? Maybe not, but if not it'll be in spite of me. They share engines, so some of the higher-end components will swap... ie: Blitz's supercharger via Tereyume and Danstoy's ITB kit. In that respect I believe we eventually will see the support of the Scion crowd, but it will be years. Remember, with a car like this the cars have to cycle out of the hands of the original owners and find their way into the hands of kids. Only then does the aftermarket go ballistic, because only kids are dumb enough to spend that much money on a car.

And yes, I'm a kid. If that ever changes, please kill me.

Maybe my episode with the nitrous has everyone thinking I'm something I'm not. I wanted to grab nitrous because it is the only safe way to yank a 7 second 0-60 in this car without breaking the bank. Can it be done? Yes... project y proved it. However, that still isn't even close to fast. Sure, you'll beat all of the stock Cavaliers with cheese slicer rear wings on the road, and that satisfaction is worth it to some. However, to make a Yaris actually quick, it has to be a well planned out affair. You cannot focus just on the engine... suspension and clutch have to follow suit. You also have to be prepared for chassis problems. There is a lot to consider. Right now I am simply opening dialogue and getting my plan in order. I don't plan on jumping into the engine bay with a socket wrench and $2000 hoping to get her down the track in 12 seconds. I don't even know what I plan to do yet. I'll say I have a new plan every three days, haha.

We as owners of this car are in a unique position. The aftermarket for the Yaris is bare, undoubtedly. Knowing that, we kind of get to drive the aftermarket ourselves. It will eventually start fitting itself to our specific wants and needs. It already has started. Knowing this, these threads could eventually be the basis for everything and anything offered for this car down the road... and never forget, he who does it first usually pays less than he who does it second.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #65
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
If I'm ever out in SoCal again (which you can bet your ass I will be, I miss Santa Clarita), I'm taking you up on that.

You knew posting that that I would bring up the issue of relativity. I am assuming you didn't skimp out and got the Cobra with 400 HP. Thus, you can take all of those power figures on the Yaris and multiply by four... this would bring apples-oranges to tangerines-oranges. In short, I'm not discouraged by a 5 HP gain on this car, because I know that 5 HP is a relatively large gain on a car that comes from the factory with 90 HP.

Now, you raise a good point about aftermarket support. Will the Yaris ever see the support of the xA and xB? Maybe not, but if not it'll be in spite of me. They share engines, so some of the higher-end components will swap... ie: Blitz's supercharger via Tereyume and Danstoy's ITB kit. In that respect I believe we eventually will see the support of the Scion crowd, but it will be years. Remember, with a car like this the cars have to cycle out of the hands of the original owners and find their way into the hands of kids. Only then does the aftermarket go ballistic, because only kids are dumb enough to spend that much money on a car.

And yes, I'm a kid. If that ever changes, please kill me.

Maybe my episode with the nitrous has everyone thinking I'm something I'm not. I wanted to grab nitrous because it is the only safe way to yank a 7 second 0-60 in this car without breaking the bank. Can it be done? Yes... project y proved it. However, that still isn't even close to fast. Sure, you'll beat all of the stock Cavaliers with cheese slicer rear wings on the road, and that satisfaction is worth it to some. However, to make a Yaris actually quick, it has to be a well planned out affair. You cannot focus just on the engine... suspension and clutch have to follow suit. You also have to be prepared for chassis problems. There is a lot to consider. Right now I am simply opening dialogue and getting my plan in order. I don't plan on jumping into the engine bay with a socket wrench and $2000 hoping to get her down the track in 12 seconds. I don't even know what I plan to do yet. I'll say I have a new plan every three days, haha.

We as owners of this car are in a unique position. The aftermarket for the Yaris is bare, undoubtedly. Knowing that, we kind of get to drive the aftermarket ourselves. It will eventually start fitting itself to our specific wants and needs. It already has started. Knowing this, these threads could eventually be the basis for everything and anything offered for this car down the road... and never forget, he who does it first usually pays less than he who does it second.

Yes it is apples to oranges, but multiplying by four is not relative. Yes the GAIN from an intake might be 5 HP. But on almost ANY NA car you get 5-10 HP from an intake, if that. The Yaris problem is that after getting that first 10-15 HP you start spending alot of money.

Nitrous is your best route. You should do it.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #66
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
You get negative replies because some of the stuff you say is not thought out.

Saying you want to bolt on the induction system from a unknown CC bike that revs to 15k RPM onto a stock Yaris motor is just retarded.

The aftermarket embraces cars whose owners are willing to spend money. Slapping ghetto rigged parts on your car will get us no where.

You seem to push away people that want to help you. You seem like a nice enough guy, that is why I keep after you when you get these ideas in your head. If I didn't like you I wouldn't bother posting.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #67
ChinoCharles
Banned

Nitrous is the only thing that seems to remain on the list no matter how I look at this. Cheapest bang for the buck.

I never said I would put anything from a bike on my car, or even that I wanted to. I only said it could be done and that I would look into it. I did, and in the process I found the e-mail of the guy that can get an ITB kit specifically made for this car. Tada.

I don't want to push the people away... Ashley, Bill, and there are others, you guys all have wonderful things to add and I learn from reading all of this stuff, negative or not. What I do want to stop is the "it can't be done" or "don't waste your money" stuff. It can be done, and what is a waste of money to you may be money well spent to me, so save those two comments for your kids. Past that, keep it coming.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #68
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Nitrous is the only thing that seems to remain on the list no matter how I look at this. Cheapest bang for the buck.

I never said I would put anything from a bike on my car, or even that I wanted to. I only said it could be done and that I would look into it. I did, and in the process I found the e-mail of the guy that can get an ITB kit specifically made for this car. Tada.

I don't want to push the people away... Ashley, Bill, and there are others, you guys all have wonderful things to add and I learn from reading all of this stuff, negative or not. What I do want to stop is the "it can't be done" or "don't waste your money" stuff. It can be done, and what is a waste of money to you may be money well spent to me, so save those two comments for your kids. Past that, keep it coming.
Get the nitrous, do it right, and you will be done. You can do it with a dry shot if you have a way to adjust timing and fueling.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #69
ToTo

Drives: Toyota Yaris T SPORT
Dastek - Unichip, I've heard is good for the Yaris.

Dastek - Official
Dastek - Unichip
Old 04-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #70
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTo View Post
Dastek - Unichip, I've heard is good for the Yaris.

Dastek - Official
Dastek - Unichip
If they have the PNP harness I am in. I have the dealer tuning setup for the unichips. They have alot of products for toyota. Im wont wire it in though with the ECU under the hood.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #71
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
So... What is this thread about? Pin-ups?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #72
ChinoCharles
Banned

HAHA! It was admittedly a wasted thread. I thought there was no way I'd find the pinout for the ECM in the 333 page electrical manual, but somehow I did. I must just rock.