Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
DINOeggxo

Drives: white yaris hatchback.
p0705 code???? help??

so this code came up the other day while out for a drive. have cleared it twice now and it keeps coming back.

the car is a 2007 hatch with automatic transmission. It still shifts through all the gears fine, starts normal, drives normal(even with the CEL on), everything seems normal but its giving a CEL.

aside from the suspension and JDM tail lights the car is completely stock.

everything has been fine, i noticed the light came on the day after i installed my JDM tail lights. could 2 wires touching back there cause an issue? because when we installed them we hit a bump and the blinker/reverse light pins were touching. probably not related but maybe?

where should we start looking? we know there is that switch thing on the transmission. anything else we should look at/try before we just start throwing money at it.
DINOeggxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That error is an issue with the PRNDL feed from the shifter to the ECM, so it could potentially be related to your shorting. Does the gear indicator still show properly on the cluster?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
DINOeggxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That error is an issue with the PRNDL feed from the shifter to the ECM, so it could potentially be related to your shorting. Does the gear indicator still show properly on the cluster?
i don't have a gear indicator on my cluster...
Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINOeggxo View Post
i don't have a gear indicator on my cluster...
You should, next to the fuel gauge. If it is not there, check the 10A GAUGE fuse in the fuse panel under the bottom of the dash.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
sasquatch

Drives: 04.:R32, 87 Scirocco, 07 yaris
Quote:
You should, next to the fuel gauge. If it is not there, check the 10A GAUGE fuse in the fuse panel under the bottom of the dash.
Ill check when she gets home from work. I'm thinking and I don't really remember seeing a gear selector on the cluster. Unless I've just never cared enough to look for it
sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
sasquatch

Alright: checked the fuses under the dash. Nothing blown.

Pretty sure her 07 does not have the gear indicator on the dash. She says she never had one.

Cleared the codes, started the car, cycled through the gears, rescanned and there was the code pending again.

I'm assuming the problem is with that thing on the transmission. Does anybody know its actual name so I can replace it? Seems pretty straight foreword and easy.

Anything else it might be before we start throwing money at it?
Old 04-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
sasquatch

Pretty sure her 07 does not have the gear indicator on the dash. She says she never had one.

Cleared the codes, started the car, cycled through the gears, rescanned and there was the code pending again.

I'm assuming the problem is with that thing on the transmission. Does anybody know its actual name so I can replace it? Seems pretty straight foreword and easy.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post

That does sound familiar with the 07's not having the gear displayed (08+ definitely does though).

The switch on the tranny that the shifter drives is the Switch Assy, Neutral Start (84540-46010). Although the name doesn't imply it, it feeds all of the gear positions to the ECM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
sasquatch

Ill call a friend at the dealer and get one ordered. Thanks for the help!

The car drives fine, must just be a bad connection or something. Lame
Old 04-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
DINOeggxo

that part number is for this thing right?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

No. The black connector under it. If I remember correctly the gray one is the connection to the valve body.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
sasquatch

Ok ill look at it tomorrow and see how easy it looks to replace.

The part number you posted is for the correct part?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
Ok ill look at it tomorrow and see how easy it looks to replace.

The part number you posted is for the correct part?
Yes. The part number is for the part with the black connector.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
yippiiyaris

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
That does sound familiar with the 07's not having the gear displayed (08+ definitely does though).

The switch on the tranny that the shifter drives is the Switch Assy, Neutral Start (84540-46010). Although the name doesn't imply it, it feeds all of the gear positions to the ECM.
Any recommendations on where to buy this part? I am finding prices anywhere from 40 - 350.

I have recently changed out my battery and alternator on a 2011 Yaris with automatic transmission and 82K miles. After I did that the CEL continued to come on after a couple of drives. The code that came up is P0705 and now the gears do not show up in the display.

I have checked all fuses and none have blown, including the 10A GAUGE fuse under the bottom of the dash. Since changing out the alternator and battery everything has been running great. The only issue is the CEL coming on and I am unable to see what gear I am in. Other than that, the engine continues to shift fine. I have also checked all connections and they are clean and firmly attached.

Thanks for any input.
yippiiyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippiiyaris View Post
Any recommendations on where to buy this part? I am finding prices anywhere from 40 - 350.

I have recently changed out my battery and alternator on a 2011 Yaris with automatic transmission and 82K miles. After I did that the CEL continued to come on after a couple of drives. The code that came up is P0705 and now the gears do not show up in the display.

I have checked all fuses and none have blown, including the 10A GAUGE fuse under the bottom of the dash. Since changing out the alternator and battery everything has been running great. The only issue is the CEL coming on and I am unable to see what gear I am in. Other than that, the engine continues to shift fine. I have also checked all connections and they are clean and firmly attached.

Thanks for any input.
$350 is dealer list and is crazy expensive for the part. If you can find one for as little as $40, go for it. Someone else with the same issue took theirs apart and cleaned the corroded contacts.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #16
yippiiyaris

Putting back on

I finally got the Switch Assy, Neutral Start (84540-46010) in and am in the process of replacing now. Here is the problem:

I got the old switch off, it was on there really good and I needed to pry it off. Now when I go to put the new one on it is just as tight if not tighter. I have cleaned the rod coming out of the transmission where it slides on and have separated the opening as wide as possible on the switch. Any ideas on how to get it back on? No room to get good whacks with a hammer. I had to use a little pry bar and hammer to get the old one off.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #17
yippiiyaris

pics

Here are a couple of pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippiiyaris View Post
I finally got the Switch Assy, Neutral Start (84540-46010) in and am in the process of replacing now. Here is the problem:

I got the old switch off, it was on there really good and I needed to pry it off. Now when I go to put the new one on it is just as tight if not tighter. I have cleaned the rod coming out of the transmission where it slides on and have separated the opening as wide as possible on the switch. Any ideas on how to get it back on? No room to get good whacks with a hammer. I had to use a little pry bar and hammer to get the old one off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (116.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (112.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 12-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #18
yippiiyaris

I was finally able to get it on. The new switch opening was a touch too small. I used a dremel grinder bit and shaved a little bit of the opening on the new switch. What a pain, but I got it on there and that finally fixed the P0705 error code and the gears are now displayed again for me.