Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
If you were me which would you pick?

Now i was driving the Sportage for 2 years my wife didn't have a license. I was getting sick of it driving her around everywhere, SUXS. But by the grace of GOD, i somehow managed to give a her kick on the back side to get her license and she finally got it. So now when she's at work I am left at home with no car to drive.If i have to go somewhere i can't.But i plan on getting a car for me.

Here are my choices.

Toyota 86.
Toyota Corolla
Mazda 3
Honda Jazz/Fit.
Hyundai I30 N.

I want a RWD sportscar since i have never owned one. All FWD since i could remember. The best offering right now is the 86 with a crap back space. That's the only thing I have against it.

The Hyundai I30N is a great car based on the reviews i've read but it's FWD. And not what i want at the moment and it is the most expensive of the list.

Or maybe just go back to my roots and get an econo hatches all over again like everyone else. Corolla, Mazda 3 and Honda Jazz.

junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:41 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
As someone who owns an 86/FR-S, I can tell you it's a great car. As long as you're not expecting gobs of power, or have grown kids, it'll serve you great. I used to daily drive it for 55k miles, and that includes moving with it, weekly grocery runs, and even buying and taking home a 55" TV. It can be pretty fuel efficient if you drive it conservatively, and can be quite fun when you don't. haha. But again, don't expect a lot of straight line speed out of one.

You guys have the Sportage for hauling a lot of stuff if need be, so I would suggest taking a test drive of an 86 to see how you fit in it, how you like the seating of it, and anything else that may concern you about it. Bring a friend in addition to you wife and see how all of you fit in one.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
From that list, seems the 86 would be the most fun...

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I would wait on the new 2019 Corolla hatch myself. It's only a few months off at this point. The Australian version is bound to be better than the U.S. version, just as the iM-Auris-Corolla hatch version was better in Australia in the upper trims. Still, those fake exhaust ports on the new 2019 hatch are annoyingly tacky.

Not a fan of the Toyota 86 here - reminds me of those cheap-looking kit-cars from the 1980's for some reason. I also can't stand the Honda Fit, for quite a few different reasons - but, regardless of the eyesore factor, perhaps the version in your market is better than the garbage ones that Honda sells here in the U.S. I would buy a 2018+ black Yaris SE over anything you listed up top, in a heartbeat - but then I do have very different taste in cars than most people it would seem.

Last edited by Kalispel; 06-04-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:31 AM   #5
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I would wait on the new 2019 Corolla hatch myself. It's only a few months off at this point. The Australian version is bound to be better than the U.S. version, just as the iM-Auris-Corolla hatch version was better in Australia in the upper trims. Still, those fake exhaust ports on the new 2019 hatch are annoyingly tacky.

Not a fan of the Toyota 86 here - reminds me of those cheap-looking kit-cars from the 1980's for some reason. I also can't stand the Honda Fit, for quite a few different reasons - but, regardless of the eyesore factor, perhaps the version in your market is better than the garbage ones that Honda sells here in the U.S. I would buy a 2018+ black Yaris SE over anything you listed up top, in a heartbeat - but then I do have very different taste in cars than most people it would seem.
Exactly what i'm doing waiting for the Corolla.

It will probably be an 86 or Corolla at this point.

As for the Yaris. It's been awhile since i drove one. My 07 is gone forever. It was the best car I had brand new. Put a smile on my face.

But i have a feeling the 86 will do the same and then some.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:35 AM   #6
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
As someone who owns an 86/FR-S, I can tell you it's a great car. As long as you're not expecting gobs of power, or have grown kids, it'll serve you great. I used to daily drive it for 55k miles, and that includes moving with it, weekly grocery runs, and even buying and taking home a 55" TV. It can be pretty fuel efficient if you drive it conservatively, and can be quite fun when you don't. haha. But again, don't expect a lot of straight line speed out of one.

You guys have the Sportage for hauling a lot of stuff if need be, so I would suggest taking a test drive of an 86 to see how you fit in it, how you like the seating of it, and anything else that may concern you about it. Bring a friend in addition to you wife and see how all of you fit in one.
I agree. Every time I see one around i make it a thing to get close to it and just admire it. It's a beautifully sculpted machine the design is really on point, specially the 2018 model, with the spoiler it makes it really pop.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:36 AM   #7
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
From that list, seems the 86 would be the most fun...
I agree, 110 percent.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #8
Whiplash

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
i30N
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
I agree. Every time I see one around i make it a thing to get close to it and just admire it. It's a beautifully sculpted machine the design is really on point, specially the 2018 model, with the spoiler it makes it really pop.
For us in the US, we are stuck with the regular FR-S/zenki spoiler on the kouki unless you got the 860 Edition (basically you guys' GTS model). Well, that was for the 2017 MY, not sure how it is now with the 2018s.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote