Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
zemdog

Drives: 2007 Yaris
AC Compressor Pulley

Greetings,

I have a noisy pulley on my 2007 Yaris Hatchback and was told I need to replace my AC Compressor and all that. Another shop made it seem like they would only fix the pulley. Is it possible/practical to replace just the pulley if the AC system is working fine?

Thanks
zemdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:59 AM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zemdog View Post
Greetings,

I have a noisy pulley on my 2007 Yaris Hatchback and was told I need to replace my AC Compressor and all that. Another shop made it seem like they would only fix the pulley. Is it possible/practical to replace just the pulley if the AC system is working fine?

Thanks
I expect that it is possible to replace just the pulley. To be honest, I haven't looked at my A/C system closely enough to know if there would be room to attach a puller. I would be surprised if the job could not be done with the compressor on the car. That would be easiest as there would be no need to have to recharge the system.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
What is noisy? The A/C pulley? Or the A/C clutch?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Not an easy job to pull the pulley off. This is what the end of our compressor looks like. There are several threads on here which question how to go about trying to get that little buried nut out of there. Space within to work is very confining.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk

Last edited by WeeYari; 11-30-2017 at 10:21 AM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
as with what WeeYari stated, I haven't heard of anyone successfully removing just the pulley.

Most tend to just go with an ebay reman'd compressor which are typically around $100. I haven't heard any of the ebay unit blowing up and I currently installed one when I did my engine swap and have had no a/c issues.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #6
zemdog

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Thanks for the info y'all!
zemdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Not an easy job to pull the pulley off. This is what the end of our compressor looks like. There are several threads on here which question how to go about trying to get that little buried nut out of there. Space within to work is very confining.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Wow, that does look tight. You'd almost need a thin-walled socket. And, then would it withstand the rigor of removing a rusted in bolt. It does sound like a reman compressor would be a better option if one had to replace the pulley.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 12-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Belts can squeal. How can a pulley be noisy?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Belts can squeal. How can a pulley be noisy?
It's a clutch pulley. They can definitely make a lot of noise when they are failing. It was fairly common practice to replace these on the Dodge minivans.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
You'd almost need a thin-walled socket.
9mm 1/4" drive fits. I suspect you need some type of spanner to hold the pulley assembly stationary while working the socket.

When I talk about working within confines, I'm referring to attempting pulley removal with the compressor still mounted. It should also be noted that the clutch is internal. That outer disk on the pulley that looks like a clutch is not.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:46 PM   #11
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
9mm 1/4" drive fits. I suspect you need some type of spanner to hold the pulley assembly stationary while working the socket.

When I talk about working within confines, I'm referring to attempting pulley removal with the compressor still mounted. It should also be noted that the clutch is internal. That outer disk on the pulley that looks like a clutch is not.
Ah, I see. The pulley is solid then. I stand suitably corrected. Much to learn about these fine autos. Thanks.