Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-15-2017, 09:13 PM   #235
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
^^^ Great colour. Actually, this Buick (I can't believe I'm saying this) is my new favourite car!

I love the desert. A special kind of peace when you're out there.
I think that the Buick Encore would be a great vehicle to lease for 2-3 years, but I wouldn't want to chance long-term ownership with it. At least it doesn't have a CVT transmission (I think). The more I read about CVT's, the more I am turned off by their seemingly random Russian-Roulette reliability factor. That really limits my car choices if I want to pick up another vehicle that is automatic in a few years. At this rate, I will be hunting down a low-mileage 2017 Yaris SE automatic in 2019-2020 - and then I will have two of the same generation Yari (of different colors at least, hopefully).

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-15-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #236
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I think that the Buick Encore would be a great vehicle to lease for 2-3 years, but I wouldn't want to chance long-term ownership with it.
Parkers, a trusted UK resource for automotive review, states that "Vauxhaul's (Mokka/Encore) reputation for reliability in the UK is solid if not entirely faultless".

Plus, the standard Buick warranty is really very good.

2017 Buick Warranty:
Basic warranty: 48 months/50,000miles
Corrosion perforation warranty: 72 months/unlimited distance
Maintenance warranty: 24 months/24,000miles
Powertrain warranty: 72 months/70,000miles
Roadside assistance coverage: 72 months/70,000miles

Compare the 2017 Toyota Warranty:
Basic warranty: 36 months/36,000miles
Corrosion perforation warranty: 60 months/unlimited distance
Maintenance warranty: 24 months/25,000miles
Powertrain warranty: 60 months/60,000miles
Roadside assistance coverage: 24 months/unlimited distance

Last edited by kimona; 08-16-2017 at 12:26 AM.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #237
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think that the Buick Encore would be a great vehicle to lease for 2-3 years, but I wouldn't want to chance long-term ownership with it. At least it doesn't have a CVT transmission (I think). The more I read about CVT's, the more I am turned off by their seemingly random Russian-Roulette reliability factor. That really limits my car choices if I want to pick up another vehicle that is automatic in a few years. At this rate, I will be hunting down a low-mileage 2017 Yaris SE automatic in 2019-2020 - and then I will have two of the same generation Yari (of different colors at least, hopefully).
No CVT in the Encore; instead, a very interesting 6 speed automatic that has a gentle but distinct feel and sound that it's shifting like a manual in the lower gears. Plus, there is a manual shift mode that's simple to switch to and works very well.

I drove the Honda CVT and immediately hated it; what a dog! But, the Rogue Sport CVT was a surprisingly decent performer. I rather liked it... and the car. However, Nissan reliability is highly questionable.

We all know Toyota (Yaris) long term reliability is bar none. So, that's a no-brainer.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:22 PM   #238
kimona
Super Moderator

BTW, a perk from the Cadillac/Buick dealer where I got my Encore is free car washes... every day of the week if I want!

I've been twice since I got the car 9 days ago. Hand car wash, chamois, windows (inside/outside), vacuum, wipe interior, dress tyres. Not bad at all. The dealer is only 5 minutes from my house and the car wash takes about 20 minutes.

I just sit in one of two luxury lounges and drink free coffee and choose from dozens of snacks... and the porter comes to find me and hand over the keys. Tipping the porter is not permitted... so I'm told.

Unlike the local Toyota dealers, the Cadillac/Buick dealer makes the customer feel VERY special. It's a refreshing experience.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:01 AM   #239
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
BTW, a perk from the Cadillac/Buick dealer where I got my Encore is free car washes... every day of the week if I want!

I've been twice since I got the car 9 days ago. Hand car wash, chamois, windows (inside/outside), vacuum, wipe interior, dress tyres. Not bad at all. The dealer is only 5 minutes from my house and the car wash takes about 20 minutes.

I just sit in one of two luxury lounges and drink free coffee and choose from dozens of snacks... and the porter comes to find me and hand over the keys. Tipping the porter is not permitted... so I'm told.

Unlike the local Toyota dealers, the Cadillac/Buick dealer makes the customer feel VERY special. It's a refreshing experience.
That sounds pretty cool. Dealership visits, for me, have always been on the enthusiasm level of visiting the dentist or doctor.

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-16-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:27 AM   #240
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:

wow! 20 minutes for all that- they must have a team or something working on it! great looking vehicle and congratulations. i just don't like the 'bird of prey' feeling the salespeople project on me whenever i'm getting work done and waiting in the lounge area. maybe they're just told to ask everyone in there even if it's OBVIOUS they're already being helped if they need assistance?

i only got 1 free carwash coupon when i bought my camry so i'm jealous nevertheless
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #241
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
That sounds pretty cool. Dealership visits, for me, have always been on the enthusiasm level of visiting the dentist or doctor.
As a long time Toyota owner, that's been my experience at Toyota dealerships as well. Actually, I'd rather get my teeth cleaned than suffer poor service and the bad attitude of a Toyota service writer.

I NEVER thought I'd be driving a vehicle with an American badge, but I love the car... and the dealer knows how to make the customer feel valued... something I have NEVER felt at the Toyota store.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #242
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Anyone driven an old school KE 70 Corolla? i always want a rwd old school car.

Problem is they are getting harder to find.

You can put a 4age engine in these bad boyz.

junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #243
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Hood mounted side mirrors and oversized fender flares. Hard to beat in the badass department.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #244
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I want to say my cousin owned a similar Corolla to that back in the day, but a US version and most likely a little newer. Looked very similar to that.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #245
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
As a long time Toyota owner, that's been my experience at Toyota dealerships as well. Actually, I'd rather get my teeth cleaned than suffer poor service and the bad attitude of a Toyota service writer.

I NEVER thought I'd be driving a vehicle with an American badge, but I love the car... and the dealer knows how to make the customer feel valued... something I have NEVER felt at the Toyota store.
I've had the opposite experience.

I went to test drive cars and the nearby Ford dealership was empty - open till 8pm and I was there at 4:30. Not a sales person, receptionist or anything in sight. I almost left before someone snagged me at the back.

Same deal with a Chrysler dealership - it didn't even have any imports in the used lot - at all. The employees were playing games on their computers/phones and just kind of shrugged.

The Toyota dealerships were great, happy helpful employees in service and sales! Expensive as hell but a pleasure to deal with
Old 09-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #246
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
My last car was a Perodua 950cc but im driving a mark1 Yaris S 1ltr silver 2000 model i am not a well off gentleman and only go with what i can afford. At this moment its a £300 Yaris and this year its cost £210 to keep her driving ,when it cost more then £300 to keep on the road thats when i move on.
hairygityeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #247
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
heres our 2013 in 2014 off i10 in az

cacti and roadtrips the best of both worlds

Nice!
Old 09-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #248
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Anyone driven an old school KE 70 Corolla? i always want a rwd old school car.

Problem is they are getting harder to find.

You can put a 4age engine in these bad boyz.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1125468391...&ul_noapp=true
Old 09-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #249
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairygityeti View Post
My last car was a Perodua 950cc but im driving a mark1 Yaris S 1ltr silver 2000 model i am not a well off gentleman and only go with what i can afford. At this moment its a £300 Yaris and this year its cost £210 to keep her driving ,when it cost more then £300 to keep on the road thats when i move on.
^^^ I think the Perodua is a Daihatsu Charade with a different name. Is that right?

Hope the Yaris proves very reliable for you. I like the style of the 2000 model.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #250
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Thanks all i know is it was very small ...like original Fiat 500 small.
Great fun to drive as are all small cars you feel the road more the smaller the wheel base.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #251
kimona
Super Moderator

I like this car, but I don't suppose we'll ever see it here:
Old 09-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #252
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Quote:
I like this car, but I don't suppose we'll ever see it here:
Holden Astra?

Holden and Ford are closing their V8 plants here in Ostraya. The commodore which is the V8 icon is replaced by FWD and AWD V6 turbo. Ostraya V8 icon i think is called Chevy SS in America.
Big rear wheel drive gas guzzling monster.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote