Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2018, 11:46 PM   #1
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Rear wheel hub assembly replacement

Today while adjusting my rear drum brakes I noticed the rear driver side hub & bearing assembly had develop a slight play (which confirmed my suspicions that the bearing was nearing its end of life by hearing a slight noise 2 months ago when swapping tires). It's not critical yet, doesn't heat up or loud, but I'd like to take care of it before it goes any further. I'm thinking of doing both sides since they shouldn't have that much difference in wear ? The other side is fine beside a very slight drag that is smooth and constant, like an over greased bearing, but no noise or play. I don't know if they are stock hubs or have/when they were replaced as I only bought the car 2 years ago. It's a 2007 hatchback with 210k km.

I found a pair of Detroit Axle hub and bearing assembly with ABS for $100 USD (dealer ask $300 CAD each). Knowing Detroit Axle is somewhat a big player in hub and bearings, I don't see why it wouldn't be up to par with Toyota OEM.

Anyone here who did this job could advise on details regarding new mounting bolts and if I should use blue Loctite 243 or copper grease on the bolts during reassembly ? Also I'm somewhat concerned about the drum backing plate as its rusted after 10 years and I'm hoping it's not gonna be crumbling down in the process, I really don't want to start messing with replacing a backing plate and brake lines, bleeding, etc.

Thanks !
David C is offline   Reply With Quote