Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
Tedtalker

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Heater Hose Question

I want to replace the two heater hoses on my 2007 Yaris sedan. Do I need to buy MOLDED heater hoses (Yaris specific) for the inlet and outlet or can I just buy straight hose by the foot off the roll at the local auto parts store? It seems much cheaper by the foot at a local store. What diameter does the Yaris take? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
The hoses makes a 90 degree bend at the engine block- I would recommend molded. You can probably get away with a straight run of horse but it would need to be made long so it can make that turn and not kink, this would be messy and ugly in the engine bay.

Check online they houses wint cost much to ship and will he cheap
Old 09-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
Tedtalker

Thanks tmontague. I'll spring for the molded. Locally they were around 34 clams apiece! Do you or anyone here have any recommendations on tools or techniques for those tucked away hose clamps closest to the engine? I bet those little devils are going to be a pain.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
tmontague

Grab a package of long needle nose pliers - straight, 45 and 90 degree. This will make getting the clamps off much easier. You can also pick up a pir of hose pliers which are needle nose that have a round end to grab around a hose- I've personally never needed these so I haven't purchased them but they make getting hoses off quick work.

Pro tip- spray inside of hose and the metal fitting the hose mated to with silicone spray lube, it makes future removal very simple
Old 09-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
Tedtalker

Good Tips tmontague. Was just about to research the silicone spray. I was just wondering if silicone spray would in any way weaken or damage the rubber over time.
Here's the pliers I think I will buy.
https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Cla...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Old 09-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
tmontague

as far as I have always known, silicone is one of the few lubes that is rubber safe. It is what I spray on my door trim before I have it rust proofed at krown every year.

This pliers would be fine for easy to access hose clamps but you are reaching back behind the fire wall with the engine still in its place. You will want the reach fo long needle nose pliers and the 3 different orientations of the 3 pack make it easy to access them regardless of what direction they were installed
Old 09-09-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
Tedtalker

I will check Harbor Freight for the 3 pack. Its the two hose clamps that connect to the engine that look like the PITA..Thanks !