Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #271
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeeroth View Post
I've had the steering wheel cover off to do the headlight relay mod, and from memory there's just one thick black cable going to this stalk. Presumably that goes back to the same wires you've described though.

Oh yes, this was done by the Toyota dealer before we got the car, so it's as factory as they do it here. I remember asking about the Camry style flick switch and they said something about not being able to do that as factory and they'd have to "put the cruise control in afterwards" so it could be an aftermarket one that Toyota uses.

OK - That is definitely an aftermarket system, so there is a module somewhere under the dash or under the hood that controls it.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #272
voranik
I've made a post!

Drives: 2011 Yaris 4D Sedan
Does this work on a 2011 Yaris ?

Hello,

I just bought a 2011 Yaris, and was wondering if this mod is easily possible on that model as well, i.e., is the wiring present from the ECM to under the steering wheel ?

Thanks!
voranik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #273
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by voranik View Post
Hello,

I just bought a 2011 Yaris, and was wondering if this mod is easily possible on that model as well, i.e., is the wiring present from the ECM to under the steering wheel ?

Thanks!
It is for sure for 2011 liftbacks, but Sedans are not as cut and dry. At least up to 2009, if the Sedan did not have the power package, then the wiring was installed from the ECM to a junction connector under the top of the dash, but not from there to the steering column.

The easiest thing to do is to pop the steering column cover and check for the blue and brown wires on connector D3.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #274
mf4361

Drives: Yaris Sedan
sorry for reviving this thread. I was trying to do this on my Canada 07' Sedan. (I believe this is possible for Canada Yaris right?) But I hit problem when getting the wire from engine bay to interior using the rubber plug next to the ECM.
According to the posted manual, the plug is installed from the engine bay side and one can easily remove it. But on mine, the grommet plug seemed to be installed from the inside so I can't get it out from engine bay. And from the inside, the rubber plug is behind the carpet so I can't reach it either.

Can anyone show me where the grommet plug is from the inside? or is there any other place to get the wire in somewhere else? I'm a noob in car mods and in fact this is the first time I do things like this with a car. Please help! Thanks!
mf4361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #275
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf4361 View Post
sorry for reviving this thread. I was trying to do this on my Canada 07' Sedan. (I believe this is possible for Canada Yaris right?) But I hit problem when getting the wire from engine bay to interior using the rubber plug next to the ECM.
According to the posted manual, the plug is installed from the engine bay side and one can easily remove it. But on mine, the grommet plug seemed to be installed from the inside so I can't get it out from engine bay. And from the inside, the rubber plug is behind the carpet so I can't reach it either.

Can anyone show me where the grommet plug is from the inside? or is there any other place to get the wire in somewhere else? I'm a noob in car mods and in fact this is the first time I do things like this with a car. Please help! Thanks!

My full DIY for the OEM cruise stalk (link below) shows where the grommet comes through inside. To get to it you will either have to pull down the carpet a bit, or cut a little slit in it.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33750
Old 06-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #276
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
doing this tomorrow! THANKS SCOTT YOU THE MAN!!!!
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #277
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

09 sedan no wires???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I believe that someone else found that as well. That means that the 09 Sedans are like the 07-08 liftbacks, which means that you will need to run the wire yourself from the ECM to the switches.
I have an 09 sedan! The wires are there under my steering wheel!
I will post pics tomorrow on the install......
Old 06-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #278
1972Dart

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 4dr
Ok I have a 2007 Yaris four door. This looks like a cool mod but i do have one question. Do you not have to have the cruse control vacuum actuator to hold the throttle cable down when you hit the set button? Or is the computer using the throttle position sensor and locking the voltage in at that point? I hope this makes since.
1972Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #279
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972Dart View Post
Ok I have a 2007 Yaris four door. This looks like a cool mod but i do have one question. Do you not have to have the cruse control vacuum actuator to hold the throttle cable down when you hit the set button? Or is the computer using the throttle position sensor and locking the voltage in at that point? I hope this makes since.
Vacuum-based cruise control disappeared with cable throttles. The Yaris is drive-by-wire, where the accelerator is just an input the the ECM and it in turn drives the throttle motor. Because of this cruise control becomes a simple set of switch inputs to the ECM (ON/OFF, Set, etc.) and the ECM does all of the rest of the work.

So, for your 2007 (and any US/Canada Yaris 2006 to present) what is documented in this mod, or for a few more dollars adding the OEM stalk will give you cruise.

This DIY discusses the OEM stalk method. I carry all of the parts for doing that route for quite a bit less than dealer pricing.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33750
Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #280
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Seriously!?!?!

That was so easy it's scary. Ten minutes tops. All parts ready at radio shack. 8 bucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.0 KB, 128 views)
Old 06-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #281
ltlblkcar

Drives: 2009 yaris 5 door hb
Hey guys. I'm having some trouble with this. I have a 2009 5 door hatch back. I've located already done the whole install and according to what everyone has done, I've done the same. But for some reason it isn't working for me. I've even tried swithing the wires and still nothing. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
ltlblkcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #282
ltlblkcar

Also tested for continuity on the switches aND connector. Everything checks out.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:41 AM   #283
ltlblkcar

So I just wired the black wire from the d3 connector in with the red and blue wires. The horn when pushed turns on cc but the switch still doesn't do anything. Am I missing a ground or a power wire for this?
Old 06-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #284
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlblkcar View Post
So I just wired the black wire from the d3 connector in with the red and blue wires. The horn when pushed turns on cc but the switch still doesn't do anything. Am I missing a ground or a power wire for this?
Post a picture of how you wired your switches and your connections to D3. It does sound like you have an issue, as the horn pad grounds to black wire to make the horn honk.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #285
ltlblkcar

Here are the pictures of the wiring I've done.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...psa1ebeb04.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5ec56233.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3b5b7db7.jpg
Old 06-15-2014, 04:36 PM   #286
ltlblkcar

Old 06-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #287
ltlblkcar

Posted some images. Just waiting on a mod to approve the post
Old 11-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #288
62Fender

Drives: Scion TC
Hope you don't mind a question from a non-Yaris owner?

Great thread! I imagined a ~$10 mod would look like it but it's every bit as aesthetic as functional. I installed an oem kit stalk and it's almost in the way compared to dash buttons.

The basic Scion TC "CRUISE" light does not have a "SET" indicator. Is it possible to add a single LED as a "SET" indicator without having to tap the CAN circuit?
62Fender is offline   Reply With Quote