Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
jkonrath

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
P2420 and P0441 codes

Hi all,

My 08 LB has been regularly throwing P2420 and P0441 CEL codes. I was in a semi-serious front-end collision last spring (see here), and got everything repaired, and the problem started right after that. They replaced the front wiring harness, intake manifold, air cleaner box, and much more when they fixed the car.

I've left the car with the body shop and they couldn't figure it out. They advised me to go to a dealer, but the closest dealer won't do anything unless a master tech can look at it, and of course he's only in the shop from like two hours after I get to work to about an hour before I leave work, and I commute, so it's a major logistical PITA to get it looked at.

I've noticed no fuel economy changes or other issues. I have a ScanGauge II so I can clear the codes, but they come back within a couple of days.

Anyone have any quick ideas on what could be wrong? I mean, I'm guessing it could either be something easy (a wire not hooked up, missing vac hose) or something major (evep canister) but I don't know where to begin to look. Can anyone point me to a good resource to track this down?

Thanks,
Jon

P.S. It's not a loose gas cap.
jkonrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Search this document for those codes. They have to do with the evap/vacuum switch.

This thing, I believe.

Make sure the blue connector and vacuum lines are all connected and secured properly.

P2420 means the vent valve is stuck open.
P0441 is an incorrect purge flow or is not detected.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I got the P0441 code after installing my SRI. After it threw the light, I called a few people (since I was not near a computer at the time) to see what it meant. I checked the intake, and to my surprise, the blue connector was off. I don't remember taking it off, but in any case, I reconnected it and cleared the code with the SGII. *Knocks on wood* The CEL didn't come back.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
eabernal
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Sorry to revive this old thread but my 08 Yaris is throwing a P0441 code. I checked the blue connector and the hoses and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Since the car is within the 3yr/30k mile warranty period, does anyone know if Toyota will take care of the issue?
Thanks in advance!
eabernal is offline   Reply With Quote