Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-30-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
romram

Drives: yaris hatchback
Yaris in SNOW ... how should you drive?

just came from work, it's 11pm in CT... driving a yaris hatch.
oh boy.... it's hard to drive in a 4-6ins of snow. i know, even a 4x4 will have a hard time in snow mix with rain...
any tips? specially if your yaris is already shifting sideways... (at 5-15mph!)
romram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
It will be trial and error depending on your tires really.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Dedicated snow tires will do wonders. I have a set for my Yaris and the difference is unbelievable.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
romram

Drives: yaris hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryaris View Post
Dedicated snow tires will do wonders. I have a set for my Yaris and the difference is unbelievable.
thanks, snow tires will be good, but snow that are not plow or left behind will really make driving hard! i hope snow tires will really do good on a 6-12in of wet snow.
i hate driving uphill/downhill in CT
romram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
A manual transmission works wonders. An auto is not as safe. (car doesnt slow down when you let up on the gas as much)

This is my first car with auto trans and antilock brakes. Not a good combination. The car doesnt slow down like a manual and you think the antilocks will stop the car in spite of that.

WRONG!

My advice is to forget you have antilock brakes and pump the brake pedal carefully as you normally would. That is exactly counter to the manufacturers advice (which is slam on the brakes for all they are worth)
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
Our yaris is an auto with no abs. The car was fairly scary on the stock all season tires in ANY amount of snow. We put ContiExtreme Winter tires on it for last season, and that made a HUGE difference. While its still no 4x4, the yaris with snow tires is slightly better in deep snow than my AWD Subaru on brand new all-seasons. I have ABS on my car, and the yaris can definitely out stop me. I can still take it in a straight line from a dead stop though ;)
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
i generally avoid the brakes as much as possible and just coast alot. momentum avoids getting stuck :) Brake slowly and lightly as much as you can.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
My advice is to forget you have antilock brakes and pump the brake pedal carefully as you normally would. That is exactly counter to the manufacturers advice (which is slam on the brakes for all they are worth)
I agree with this 100 percent, and I've likewise discovered that it's better to just pump the brakes if you find yourself in a slide. This is the first car I've ever driven that has ABS, and I fail to see how it's safer.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:42 AM   #9
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
I should probably attach a disclaimer of sorts to this post, but hey, I'm just telling you what works for me.

I find myself reaching for the e-brake (handbrake) when I need to stop when the road is covered with snow/slush. This is especially true when I need to stop suddenly. The ABS system on the Yaris sucks for braking distance (but is great for retaining manouverability though). I mean, when applying the brakes in slippery conditions, I have enough time to read a magazine while the Yaris very slowly loses speed. So when you know you have to stop, there speed is low enough not to lose control of the car and you're up for it, try the e-brake.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Oh, I forgot to add....I once read that if you find yourself in a slide, steer in the direction of the slide, and you'll regain control. It sounds counterintuitive, but it really works. This applies to any car, not just the Yaris. And, of course, never panic.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #11
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Oh, I forgot to add....I once read that if you find yourself in a slide, steer in the direction of the slide, and you'll regain control. It sounds counterintuitive, but it really works. This applies to any car, not just the Yaris. And, of course, never panic.
good advice. this is called countersteering. just DO NOT mash the brakes when you start to slide, as previously noted, the rear end will step out and you will spin.
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 AM   #12
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
My ECHO on the stock tire was a nightmare in snow. Very twitchy, little traction. They were the Potenza 92s. My Yaris with the exact same tires is quite good.

My advice if you find your car not nice to drive in snow is do a little research on Tire Rack and find a better set of tires.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
SailDesign

Drives: .
Snow tires. And do everything more slowly than normal. No sudden pushes at any of the pedals, no sudden tweaks to the steering wheel. You're trying not to break anything free from the traction.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
EPyarisdriver
...or Vegas for short

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3door LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Ha learned this from drifting. Not in a yaris though
EPyarisdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #15
refotsirk

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Yup....snow tires....as the stock tires were and are just that...minimal. Driving an '07 and got Dunlop Graspic 2's year one...and what an amazing difference...so in spring thru fall the stock tires and ..well.....this week on go the snows. Up here in N. Wisconsin i would rather feel save and get safely where I need to be, without doing hail Mary's the whole drive....Spent a bit for the tires, (actually the same amount as my deductible had I a mishap and needed body work) but it was a perfect investment. The wife said she feels like there is more bite into the snow than even our 4x4 Blazer. Now that says something.
The deeper tread, and more pronounced siping and of course the softer tire material
make for a very enjoyable winter. Regular tires get harder the colder it gets.
Standard M&S (mud and snow) tires just can't do all they claim to do.
Last thing here....if you tend to drive alone? I put a sandbag in the foot compartment of the passenger area and that makes a very light car get even more traction. The engine over the front wheel drive can only do so much.
And of course....super tires or not...the lowness to the ground will get you "hung up"
in plowed areas like driveways.....I am surprised my lower front wind guard is still there after plowing my way thru deep snows.
Invest in safety...get snows too...unless you live in the sunbelt where you only have freak storm needs.
Just my thoughts..........
refotsirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #16
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
under 40 degree tires(thanks BARBER) on all 4 corners make for one hell of a good time if you like to play in the snow. Saturday's snow had me driving on unplowed roads with little to no problems......

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
If your Yaris has ABS, park it and wait for the snow to melt.

My Echo was great in the snow. I would go damn near anywhere and would stopped pretty darn well.

The Yaris goes OK....it just won't stop.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
snow tires make all the difference

a full on winter tire with the mountain snowflake symbol is the only way to go in winter.

I got Michelin X Ice Xi2 and they truly do allow the Yaris
to climb steep snow covered hills, and make corners safely, unbelievably well.
it went from 'I never want to drive this in the snow' to 'this car is unstoppable in snow'

The X Ice also doesn't howl on the highway, like other studless snows.
It is the best snow tire for what I do. short weekday commutes on steep
drumlins, and long trips up the interstate on weekends.

any current studless snow tire will be like night and day on the Yaris.

if you want MAX possible grip, get something with chunky blocks like the original
Blizzak LM50. If you want excellent snow and ice grip but less howl on highway, get the
Michelin X Ice or the newer Blizzak with a similar tread like WS60 or WS70

*if you want to stick with an M+S tire that does OK in snow, Michelin makes the
best M+S tire hands down. They actually last long in summer and have real grip
in winter to some extent.
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote