Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #19
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
done right involves spending more money than the car is BRAND NEW..

which negates the point of using a yaris (that'll be beat constantly in SM by real sports cars) to compete in SM, when you could have spent that $30,000total on something else..
i do believe he has ALREADY exceeded the value twice over.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #20
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Quote:
done right involves spending more money than the car is BRAND NEW..

which negates the point of using a yaris (that'll be beat constantly in SM by real sports cars) to compete in SM, when you could have spent that $30,000total on something else..
Thanks, I'm glad someone else besides me thinks clearly. When it comes time to sell, between a $30k Yaris and a $30k WRX, i wonder which would be easier to sell?

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #21
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous user View Post
Thanks, I'm glad someone else besides me thinks clearly. When it comes time to sell, between a $30k Yaris and a $30k WRX, i wonder which would be easier to sell?
Who says i'd want to sell it? A pristine 10yro car wouldn't going to be worth much whether its a yaris or a WRX. (if the WRX can make it 10 years )

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #22
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
Who says i'd want to sell it? A pristine 10yro car wouldn't going to be worth much whether its a yaris or a WRX. (if the WRX can make it 10 years )
an 8 yr old WRX is worth more than a 3 year old yaris already
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #23
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
an 8 yr old WRX is worth more than a 3 year old yaris already
And how much did they cost to begin with?

Old 11-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #24
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
which is exactly why they are still worth more... lol
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:20 PM   #25
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Quote:
I guess when equally valued cars go up for sale, you'd be the kind of guy trying to buy a fully modded yaris. The dude from cali could'nt sell his on here for a few years. He eventually parted out that thing.

Well good luck trying to get the wife convinced that you can drive your car.
P-whipped :whhhaatackkk!!: J/K- i don't know what it's like to have a nagging wife. My other half has raced her last 3 subies, all new. She has totalled the last 2 in accidents in the last 2 years. Although not at fault, it's a sign that it's safer to race on a closed course than on the open road (or just plain daily driving).

Old 11-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #26
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
I sooo want to do AutoX in my Yaris, but it's my DD and my wife is having nothing of it. I am trying to convince her it's safe but she wants us to have another DD before she lets me do that... I was curious how many of you use your DD to AutoX without a backup car if something should happen. It doesn't seem too dangerous to me... what do you guys think?
I think the question is do you own another car at all? Or is it just the Yaris for both of you?
Old 11-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #27
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I think the question is do you own another car at all? Or is it just the Yaris for both of you?
Just the one for us, my wife stays at home. My feeling is that without any real outlet for my speed urges, I tend to drive too fast on public streets. If I could afford it, I'd have 2 cars, a DD and a toy. As it sits right now, I just want to have a little fun while my financial situation comes together, and AutoX seems to be the cheapest/easiest solution... Who knows if/when that will happen...

Old 11-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #28
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Just the one for us, my wife stays at home. My feeling is that without any real outlet for my speed urges, I tend to drive too fast on public streets. If I could afford it, I'd have 2 cars, a DD and a toy. As it sits right now, I just want to have a little fun while my financial situation comes together, and AutoX seems to be the cheapest/easiest solution... Who knows if/when that will happen...
I think with that admission the wife's concern is a bit more reasonable. Maybe if you took her to a local autoX, and showed her the competition, especially the lower levels where you would be competing, it might ease her mind a little bit. I can understand hearing the word, "racing" and her thinking,"oh no, crash! And there goes our income!"

And with some searching, you could prolly get some pretty fun cars for pretty cheap money. 1st or 2nd gen Supra's or Mr2's are rather inexpensive, yet still really sweet handling.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #29
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

As with any form of racing, the slogan is the same.....you gotta pay to play.
So maybe wait until you have an emergency fund, nest egg, etc. until you get out there. Do you have equity in a home? Rates are really low now. That can get you some cash, even if you don't need it, it's available to you.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #30
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
Take your wife along to autox so she can see it is not dangerous, and if that won,t do it start saving for a car to autox. I don,t do it because here the "autox" is on a full road course and pretty fast so I don't risk it.
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #31
echosqwat

Drives: Porsche Boxster
Think you will find it more rule than exception that daily drivers are used for AX. Yaris will hold up ine in AX. I drove my Toyota Echo in numerous AX events with no issue. I was still on original brake pads after 65000 miles!

I'd pitch AX as place to enhance your accident avoidance skills.
echosqwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:48 AM   #32
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
I don't autocross my daily driver. I daily drive my autocross car.
haha... that's awesome! I like that one.

Well, I've autocrossed my DD a couple of times now. I intend to do quite a bit more. For real, it's no big deal. You do a few runs. My experience in my near stock yaris is that I don't even shift out of 2nd gear, with speed of less than 60 mph, and he run is under two minutes. So, like 6 minutes of "driving hard." No big deal at all.

...and it's fun
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #33
docB

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
If you get in over your head, you can really screw up your car at an auto-x. If have seen several cars get messed up in the SCCA western new york region. Most all of the "accidents" were self inflicted. We had a Z-06 Vette 6 feet in the air once. Luckily no body got hurt. Make sure you have an instructor ride along if you have never done it before or if the vehicle is new to you. My two cents....
doc
docB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #34
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
You have to be extremely careless and be completely unfamiliar with your car to flip over your car in Auto X. Obviously the guy in the Z06 you're speaking of was a reckless driver with the wrong car in the first place.

Out here only the real hazard in the parking lots are the light posts, and the course is designed to steer you as far away as possible from each post. Other than that you've got hundreds of feet of open asphalt to shred your tires on.

Back on-topic: Yes I Auto-X my DD, but not to often until I can pay for lighter wheels and comp. tires specifically for this.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #35
alch3miss

Drives: Toyota Yaris
I have auto x'd before. I was in the NST class "Novice Street Touring". I came in 14th place out of about 25 cars. Just to mention some of the competition in my class, we had some 330i's, g35 sedans, there was a Porsche . Link to the results from that day are https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/file...232009_fin.htm
alch3miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:27 AM   #36
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
I replaced my wife with a Supra and kept the Yaris. My son loves the Supra. It will be our next project car to cage.
You know, and it all started with auto x.........and a Yaris........
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote