Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #37
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
if you decided to put turbo, nitro, and what ever other riced out shit....

What an idiotic statement. The things you listed are actually the complete opposite of "RICE."

Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements.......

So turbo diesel trucks are riced out?
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:54 AM   #38
Saskatchewan17
MS3 Driver

Drives: 2008 Mazdaspeed3
So it looks like you can't really push the stock block much past 150 WHP without problems with the internals.
12 second Yaris? Not gonna happen unless you have a built engine/turbo, stripped interior, and drag slicks. Even then... I don't know. Launching a FWD car is tricky stuff. I know you can't break into the 12s in an MS3 unless you are fully bolted on and a fantastic driver... or have slicks.
Also, when do you have to up the injector size on the Yaris, and when do you run into fuel pump problems? How much possible WHP can you make on an NA motor?

08TrueRedMazdaspeed3
-PERFORMANCE:
-CP-E SRI - PG TURBO INLET PIPE - GREDDY TYPE S - TRZ REAR MOTOR MOUNT-
-OTHER:
-STRIPES - EXHAUST RESOS DELETED - BLACKED OUT BADGES - TOWPLATE - HD LIP -
- PROSPORT BOOST GAUGE/VENTPOD - STREET UNIT SHIFTER BUSHINGS - TINTED REFLECTORS/SIDE MARKERS/3RD BRAKE LIGHT - SIDE MOLDINGS REMOVED -
Saskatchewan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #39
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i'm sorry, but a yaris with a turbo for everyday driving is riced out. my definition of riced out is un needed upgrades not gonna lie, i didn't know there was an actual deffinition. some cars come with a turbo, they are designed to work with a turbo but we are not talking about trucks or other cars, this is about a yaris. for me, work and back, school and back, a turbo on a yaris is a waste, if your gonna race, okay, put a turbo in. it all depends what you plan on doing. yes this is fourm is talking about making a yaris 12 seconds but without total engine mod it can not handle anymore then (i'll even stretch the limit) 200HP, it will blow up. since everyone has a smart ass remark, how else would you get a stock 1.5 L to over 168 HP without rebuilding it and modding it? and as i said before i have no idea what the block 168HP rating is, maybe its the ideal running HP everyone should get their car to, i simply stated there is a rating of 168 HP on the block, take it, do what you want with it. and without lots and lots of engine mods, you will never get a 1.5L over 200HP. driving a yaris with 200HP we are gonna have to send a search party for you on the moon. as i say over and over, revise it a little more at a time, the engine conponents are rated to 168HP, yes you could get away with 170, maybe even 180, after that, toyota has nothing to do with the failure of the engine. if you want to keep it from failure, rebuild the entire thing. yes you can put w.e mods you want and drive like they are not there but whats the point? really it all comes down to you, its your car, your money, the fourms are about sharing knowledge and trying to help out.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #40
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i am completly down with making a yaris real fast, but most of the stock engine parts will not take the super HP, pray as much as you like, its not changing anytihng about the engine
Old 12-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #41
Brad D

Drives: 07 Yaris RS 3dr
its more about the tune i bet with most of the engine failures you guys are seeing. with a good tune i bet this motor could see over 200whp all day long.
Brad D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #42
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I had some damage after driving 8-9 months at 8psi and 183 whp on the stock motor. Cylinder 4 was showing some loss of compression. It would have eventually failed.
Yaris2010RS you make it seem like it is going to ust blow up on you the second you punch the gass for the first time. How come Cali got 8-9 months over your stated block rating that you won't share exactly how you got. He also said that it would have failed eventually be in 8-9 months is a long enough time to have a seperate motor on the side being built up with upgraded internals.

Also if you think any extra mods you car doesn't need what are your plans with your car?... Are you going to keep it completely stock? Because the Yaris has everything to be a running vehical as is and will last a long time, so according to you any thing someone adds to or changes on their car is "rice". Why are you in a F/I thread if you think that a turbo on a Yaris is "rice"?
Old 12-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #43
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
I think what he was getting at, is that it is rice to spend all that $ to turbo a Yaris just to drive it to work and back. I can agree with that, we are talking about a economy car with a $12-15k price tag. Dropping Over $3k in the motor or more is kind of crazy just to get more pep out of it UNLESSS you actually plan to utilize that power for what it is meant for... to race.

The flipside is the aftermarket industry would be super weak if only racers bought performance parts.

The only person other than myself from what I have seen on this forum who utilizes the extra power seems to be Tamango.

Even hitting up the dragstrip every once and a while is ok. Spending $ to build a motor and turbo kit just to post up whp numbers IMO is not
$ well spent. If you want to get to 7-11 faster there are better ways

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #44
Brad D

Drives: 07 Yaris RS 3dr
Every motor people think has a set limit untill someone pushes it.. Same thing happened with the KA-t.. people thought it would not hold past 300whp.. now guys have hit 500.. the 350Z people thought you would need a sleaved block to make any real power.. now people make 1000whp with a stock block with forged pistons and rods...

here is a civic with a non v-tech B18 that we pulled out of the junk yard.. build up a turbo kit and gave it a good tune, we ran the car and draged raced it for two years. one day we got gready and added more power.. the tunner said "today is the day its going to blow" and yep on the dyon we overpowered the cylinder wall.. but guess what the pistons were fine.. you could of reused them.... this was at 375ft.lbs.. that is the limit for that block stock.

here is a a vid, we got it down to 11.1 on a stock motor... never opened up
http://www.youtube.com/user/chummimc#p/u/28/1eonKVSNOtI
Brad D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #45
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
Dropping Over $3k in the motor or more is kind of crazy just to get more pep out of it UNLESSS you actually plan to utilize that power for what it is meant for... to race.

If you want to get to 7-11 faster there are better ways

Good thing everyone doesn't have your logic. You don't HAVE to just race. If you were, why even build up a yaris or xA to purely race. That'd be stupid.

Want to know the beautiful thing about the yaris? You can still be boosted and have a great DD that makes 35+ MPG to 7-11; atleast I can.

Quote:

The only person other than myself from what I have seen on this forum who utilizes the extra power seems to be Tamango.
Tamango has a NA xA, but drives his hair stylist mobile nowadays. He's trying to sell or sold his xA.

Last edited by PETERPOOP; 12-06-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #46
Blown_xa

hmm so he removed his turbo set up? He had a whole thread on the Scion forum about his boosted set-up.

Im not talking about building a race car, but spending a lot of money to make power should have a purpose other than for daily driving. My car is a daily driver, been racing it HARD since 5000 miles on the odo, it now has 102,000 miles on it. And it gave me 34mpg on a recent trip. 200 miles using 6.05 gallons of gas.

Ptuning.com
Old 12-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #47
Blown_xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
Good thing everyone doesn't have your logic. You don't HAVE to just race. If you were, why even build up a yaris or xA to purely race. That'd be stupid.

Want to know the beautiful thing about the yaris? You can still be boosted and have a great DD that makes 35+ MPG to 7-11; atleast I can.

Tamango has a NA xA, but drives his hair stylist mobile nowadays. He's trying to sell or sold his xA.
the Blitz set up you have will def provide good gas mileage because it uses the factory injectors, it runs lean under boost though but it was never a prob ( I use to have that set up) because the Blitz box was probably pulling back a good amount of timing. I got the same mileage tho even with it turned off because it only puts out 54whp lol do to the restriction of the roots blades.

I never seen a Blitz set-up put down more than 121whp though on our dyno. It wasnt until I introduced nitrous that I was semi satified. The whole belt issue and sheering crank pulley pins got annoying so I got rid of the supercharger set-up. Using the round end of a good 1/8th ince drill bit provided a good upgrade to combat shearing the crank pulley pin. I was the one who came up with that idea years ago.

Here's a link to Tamango's old thread http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118234 cool ideas by him. Im assuming we are talking about the same guy. Good to see people autocrossing and utilizing their upgrades, I just wish I'd see more of you guys do that. There are a couple of Yaris' around here that autocross but havent seen one on a road coarse yet. There was a Turbo Fit at the time attack in NJ this past summer, I was excited to see that cause I didnt feel alone for once lol.

Ptuning.com
Old 12-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #48
PETERPOOP

Tamango took off his turbo kit awhile ago; thus why it's a NA xA.

My blitz kit made 140whp with 135 tq before i put on a custom overdrive crank pulley which added a couple more lbs of boost and made me at 136whp/140 tq. This was done in Hawaii weather on a dynojet. However, I am going to retune with the ultimate and tune accordingly for more power. I'm also installing a meth/water injection kit; and i have 1zz injectors and run 11-12 AFR at WOT. Nothing lean going on over here.
Quote:

Im not talking about building a race car, but spending a lot of money to make power should have a purpose other than for daily driving.
In your mind it should.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #49
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
there is nothing wrong with doing something just because you can.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #50
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
i'm sorry, but a yaris with a turbo for everyday driving is riced out.
For YOU. Not for me. Your intolerance for other's projects is what's so lame.

Quote:
my definition of riced out is un needed upgrades
oh I see. Like the upgrades on your RS model?

[unsubscribed]
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #51
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
yes this is fourm is talking about making a yaris 12 seconds but without total engine mod it can not handle anymore then (i'll even stretch the limit) 200HP, it will blow up
you are just blowing smoke. why dont you take the time to read most of the previous posts on the engine builds that people have done with the STOCK block on here.

there is more than one member that has the stock block over 200 tuned.

and its nitrous, not nitro. lol
Old 12-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #52
Blown_xa

Quote:
Tamango took off his turbo kit awhile ago; thus why it's a NA xA.

My blitz kit made 140whp with 135 tq before i put on a custom overdrive crank pulley which added a couple more lbs of boost and made me at 136whp/140 tq. This was done in Hawaii weather on a dynojet. However, I am going to retune with the ultimate and tune accordingly for more power. I'm also installing a meth/water injection kit; and i have 1zz injectors and run 11-12 AFR at WOT. Nothing lean going on over here.

In your mind it should.
good upgrades. The overdrive pulley is a cool idea im glad somebody made it!
WMI will give you good results.

And yeah, it is my opinion about the racing. But I can voice it right? Don't place me as the bad guy because I believe something. I just would like to see 1.5's beat up on Evos and such on the track. Performance parts are developed for a performance enviornment. But anyone can enjoy extra performance anywhere it's all good. It's much more enjoyable on the track tho as I discovered.

136whp on a dynojet sounds about right. A typical Dynojet reads about 12% higher than our dyno. So that's about 119.

Ptuning.com
Old 12-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #53
xen555

Drives: 3 DOORS LB
Quote:
Wasn't there a stock yaris w/ NOS in PR in the 14s or 13s?
the yaris in the 14s is the yaris with corolla's engine
xen555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #54
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
I really think everyone has the wrong idea of a Yaris (and a lot of Japanese cars). I give Garm a lot of credit for what he did but, a Yaris with 120whp can out handle a lot of things on a track. The car is meant for windy roads not going fast down a straight. If that's your goal go buy a new 2010 Camaro v6 for 23k or a used v8 mustang and call it a day.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote