Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #37
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
See if there is another subcompact that gets good gas mileage that you could afford to have both vehicles. Even 2007 model year Yaris can be had for 6 or 7 grand.

Echo's get great gas mileage as well and are even less expensive. Corrolla's the same.
In my area Echos are very hard to find. Used Corollas are selling at premium prices as are Yaris'. When I bought my Yaris there were two Corollas on the lot, a 2005 w/159k miles for $8,999 and a 2003 w/315k miles for $4,999 . Both were well maintained local trades, but jeez loueez.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #38
TONIZZLE

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
If your really have rough winter conditions you have to drive through, the Yaris as an only car is not the solution you are looking for.

I literally got my car stuck in maybe 6 inches of slush. I had to get out and push it a foot to get traction. I will admit the current tires are from down south, so probably were not made for dealing with snow. But my car got squirrely in any amount of snow.

No way should you go from a fully paid off vehicle to car payments if you only drive 20 miles a day. Do you fill your tank up more than once a week?
Good point. With the 4Runner I only fill up once a week. If I get the Yaris I would need to get blizzaks.

I just remembered about inflation when comparing the price of my 4Runner back in '99 to today. So it's like trading in a $51K car for an $18K car. And I don't know if it really matters, but my 4Runner was assembled in Japan. Just like to throw that in. http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
TONIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #39
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONIZZLE View Post
Good point. With the 4Runner I only fill up once a week. If I get the Yaris I would need to get blizzaks.

I just remembered about inflation when comparing the price of my 4Runner back in '99 to today. So it's like trading in a $51K car for an $18K car. And I don't know if it really matters, but my 4Runner was assembled in Japan. Just like to throw that in. http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
If you fill up once a week with a not-very-fuel-efficient 4runner, I won't even say a high MPG car is even something you should care about.

While the Yaris is pretty good with good winter tires, I'd only trade in your 4runner if it's on it's last legs.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #40
TONIZZLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageehw View Post
If you fill up once a week with a not-very-fuel-efficient 4runner, I won't even say a high MPG car is even something you should care about.

While the Yaris is pretty good with good winter tires, I'd only trade in your 4runner if it's on it's last legs.
That's true. I can just use the loan money on repairs for the 4Runner. Though the repairs are adding.

Here's what I will need to do to the 4Runner in the next year:

Timing belt + water pump = $1200
Brakes + Rotors = $500
New Cat (maybe can wait since I passed emissions 2/11) = $500

The loan for the Yaris would be around $6K. Has 11K miles, S pkg w/ sunroof (seems rare). Other than oil changes, I don't expect any major service for a long time.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #41
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Nice vid. I wonder what fitment that is.

I like what Ford has done with the Fiesta. Especially with the optional body kit and Euro spoiler. The Mazda 3 looks good too. But these are maybe an extra $5K above the Yaris.

That's what I meant. I would be paying money to finance a Yaris vs. pocketing that by keeping the 4Runner. The 4Runner would be a trade-in. I did notice the seats when I was test driving. Seems like there's one adjustment missing.

No kids, but I plan to someday. Which makes me wonder if I do get the Yaris I may need to trade-in again for a more family friendly car.

Lots of knowledgeable ppl in this forum. This is going much better than my post in the 4Runner forum. By this time the 4Runner members were getting pretty hostile.

I have an Xterra and my two Yaris. The Xterra is on moth balls until gas comes back down (or for the occasional lumber yard run). As others have said, it's hard to compare the two types of vehicles, other than by MPG comparison.

The Yaris can haul an amazing amount for its size. I have two kids, so the 5 door liftback is more practical than a 3 door would be. We find that the Yaris works out well for family trips and the kids' sports.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #42
Sandwash

Drives: 2009 Yaris w/man.trans.
I have an '09 Yaris and a '99 4Runner; and, hence, the best of both worlds.
Sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #43
TONIZZLE

Just came back from driving in the city. I've seen a nice amount of Yaris'. No 5-door S pkg ones, but mostly 3-door hatches. I've also seen a handful of 4Runners too. Maybe my eyes are trained to look for these two vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwash View Post
I have an '09 Yaris and a '99 4Runner; and, hence, the best of both worlds.
If you could only keep one, which one would you choose?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #44
carnageehw

Quote:
Maybe my eyes are trained to look for these two vehicles.
The same thing happened with me when I was looking for cars. I was really looking into the Ford Fusion's (which I eventually bought) and I started seeing them everywhere.

Hell, after I applied for my current job, I started seeing ads for the company everywhere.

It's amazing what your eyes see when you're mind is open to it.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #45
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageehw View Post
The same thing happened with me when I was looking for cars. I was really looking into the Ford Fusion's (which I eventually bought) and I started seeing them everywhere.

Hell, after I applied for my current job, I started seeing ads for the company everywhere.

It's amazing what your eyes see when you're mind is open to it.
The Ford Fusion is selling like crazy now. It runs neck and neck with the Camry, Accord, and Altima as the best selling cars in America.

It's an excellent car. Amazingly, it has surpassed the Camry in recent quality studies (least problems of almost any car).
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #46
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Persuade me to buy a Yaris!

$1.47 a liter here in Montreal today April 30
That would be getting close to $6gal.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #47
carnageehw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
The Ford Fusion is selling like crazy now. It runs neck and neck with the Camry, Accord, and Altima as the best selling cars in America.

It's an excellent car. Amazingly, it has surpassed the Camry in recent quality studies (least problems of almost any car).
The Hybrid I have is the best car I've ever driven. Really makes driving fuel efficient fun.

And as a driving instructor, while the Yaris was great on gas, the engine was constantly running, even doing all those slow maneuvers you did when learning to drive. The Fusion's gas engine shuts off at those speeds, so I've saved a ton on gas.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #48
B789
B789

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Pros:Best mileage with any internal combustion engine type car. Very reliable car ?

Cons:Insurance is higher compared to the rest of cars (even Honda Fit). Not sure why ?
B789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #49
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by B789 View Post
Pros:Best mileage with any internal combustion engine type car. Very reliable car ?

Cons:Insurance is higher compared to the rest of cars (even Honda Fit). Not sure why ?
For me, the biggest selling point of the Yaris over the Fit, SX4, etc. was serviceability (as I do all of my own maintenance on my vehicles). I just bought a new Tacoma, and with it as well, my decision to buy Toyota was 92% based on serviceability of their products.