Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-19-2015, 07:23 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The Self Driving Car

Another indication to me that the world is going seriously nuts is all the fuss about a self driving car. Do any of you want a self driving car? Number One its going to cost a lot of money. Number Two it cant anticipate it can only react. Thus when the commuter train that uses the same road I leave work on is stopped and Im passing it on the left I anticipate someone crossing the road from right to left in front of it as I pass it. AI cant do that. Since it uses radar as its primary detection tool its not going to work very well when its snowing or raining either. Yet the self driving car gets a lot of serious development $$$ and interest.

I welcome comments from anyone who knows more about its development than I do.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
you're almost correct, and though i don't know any more than the average Joe, they can do anticipation only as well as their code authors program it.

in your example, if you saw that pedestrian coming all the way from the right of the train, then the car cameras/sensors should see it too, and be programmed to anticipate it (with simple calculations related to speeds).

the self-driving and flying cars are not unlikely futures of private comuting, but the former poses a question of legal accountability should an accident happen. (the maker or the owner?)
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
the self-driving and flying cars are not unlikely futures of private comuting, but the former poses a question of legal accountability should an accident happen. (the maker or the owner?)
Don't worry I'm sure the lawyers will sue both.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Don't worry I'm sure the lawyers will sue both.
good point.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
bronsin

Wow read this article about SDCs! Could they be programed to kill the driver rather than say a child?

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...trols-the-code
Old 12-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Oh yea! In theory, it would actually be possible.

I remember reading a sci-fi book some years back about how even surgeries and medical procedures had become automated. In the story, someone went to have a simple operation done, but ended up being killed when the robot performing the operation was hacked by someone who wanted him gone for whatever reason. No evidence of wrong-doing was ever found and it was ultimatly decided that it was all the result of a programing glitch.

Pretty scary stuff, that's for sure!
Old 12-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
bronsin

In theory...but what about actual reality?

During the ebola crisis I thought"If I was ISIS Id go to Africa with 10 other people and infect ourselves, then hop a plane to the US and visit supermarkets."

Since Obama didn't prohibit travel between Africa and the US, they could have done it.

But they didn't.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:19 PM   #8
obretiv

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
I would imagine that these automated cars getting hacked would be a great concern. Seems like everything can be hacked into these days, if the hacker is determined enough.
obretiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:07 AM   #9
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by obretiv View Post
I would imagine that these automated cars getting hacked would be a great concern. Seems like everything can be hacked into these days, if the hacker is determined enough.
Youre right and when I find the article of someone who did just that I'll post it.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #10
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
All of the talk about self-driving cars just floors me. To be completely honest, I can't see this becoming anything more than a novelty. If you look at Tesla's car as an example, it's major attribute is that it's completely electric. Look at how long that is taking to catch on. The range isn't that great, power stations are scarce, and the price is prohibitive. The only thing about that car that's special, is that it's electric, which is a very basic proposition in itself. Imagine a large leap in technology like self-driving vehicles and how long that will take to develop, if ever. To add to this, I am a commercial airline pilot. I fly an Airbus which is one of the leaders in automated flight. It's fly-by-wire and for the most part computer controlled, it can even autoland as long as we babysit it and certain parameters are met (Wind cannot be higher that certain speeds, equipment functioning nominally). I can turn off the automation and fly it myself if I would like and we are encouraged to do that actually. We are encouraged to do this because often, computers will break and we are required to then take over for the computers. Often times the aircraft will do some very amazing screw ups that if we didn't intervene would result in disaster. Honestly, I think it's a "pie in the sky" concept and if it ever comes to fruition, I'm buying a horse.
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
bronsin

Seems to me if there's a glitch in a self flying plane...good luck figuring out what's wrong in time.

That Air Frane plane that went into the South Atlantic because the pitot tube failed is a good example.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #12
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Considering all the distracted/selfish idiots and/or rage-warriors on the road, I understand the theoretical appeal of universal automated driving - but don't think it is going to happen until major advances in AI occur. Not in my lifetime.

Last edited by Kalispel; 04-05-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #13
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
It's going to happen and it's going to happen a lot quicker than you think. Doesn't mean we have to like it.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #14
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
It's going to happen and it's going to happen a lot quicker than you think. Doesn't mean we have to like it.
Don't be so sure. This is a far greater challenge than any computer controlled system in existence. A manned round trip to Jupiter is less challenging.

For real effectiveness, we're talking about the need for a level of true AI that doesn't exist yet. For human beings, driving is a very simple task. Ever think of the millions of instant calculations and human judgement calls you make every moment while driving? It's so much more complex than you think.

Think about when you're driving in snow and the massive amount of adjustments you make. Or that ice patch that you can spot on a downward grade and making necessary changes.

How about the tons of traffic interactions you run into such as waiving or flashing someone on. How about navigating through a tight construction zone with activity going on everywhere?

Even if you could figure every conceivable scenario out in the real world, will it be able to do it as fast as human driving? Everyone is always in a rush, I have a feeling automated cars will be very slow because it just couldn't match human to human traffic interaction that makes traffic flow as smooth as it does.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:51 PM   #15
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
I think they will eventually be great. I would love to lounge, sleep, relax, etc while I am driven to my destination. Drop me off at the front door and park itself in a bad rain. I stay dry. Plus it will be great for people with mobility issues to get around. A lot of handicapped people are stuck at home and can't regularly get out because they can't drive. So I'm all for it.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #16
bronsin

Quote:
auto drive in rain/snow is the problem because of radar.

I'm putting on my thinking cap...