Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
spdas

Drives: Yaris Electric
Vent without fan

Is there any way to have the vent work without turning on the fan on a 2007 3dr Hatch?

Francis
spdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Yes, make sure the knob for outside vs recirulated air is turned to outside air. As long as you're moving, air will blow in from the vent at the bottom of the windshied (outside).
Old 07-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
spdas

I was hoping to have air come out from all vents, not just the vent by the windshield. May seem like an odd request, but my Yaris is a Electric, (ie no gas) and the fan seems to take a lot of amps to run, so just trying to go without the fan. It is not a deal-breaker though, but here in Hawaii without a gas engine creating heat into the cabin, it runs just about the right temp with vents open and fan on med, but it makes a lot of noise in a very silent car.

Francis
Old 07-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
I mis-intrepreted your question, and vice verse.

What I meant is that you can have air blow into the cab via setting the recirculate to outside air. This means that air will blow in from the outside vent at the base of the windshield.

To your question about having air go through all the vents, keep the other knob at the head and feet setting and it will blow to all areas. Concerning the direction of air, you might wish to keep it to the head so you can feel it more.

Edit: Electric huh?? PICS!!! LOL
Old 07-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
With an electric conversion Yaris, I think I would look into more efficient fan motors. The OEM one draws about 2 Amps and with the resistors for speed control (rather than multiple windings or a solid state speed controller) the fan draws the same amount on any setting.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
spdas

With knob on vents and fan on i get fresh air. With fan off the vents are totally dead. Thinking it needs the fan to actually open the vent door. But what you say seems to not need the fan. In my other cars vents worked, but of course the fan increased air flow. Here are a cupla pix.

Francis
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

There is no vent door to open (other than the manual flick of the switch from recirc to outside). The location of the intake is why you don't get any flow through the vents. This is the intake scoop for the fan. It is located under the top of the dash on the passenger side, and connects to the wiper cowling under the hood. If you can give it a more direct input, you will see more flow from the vents with the fan off.

Name:  Vent intake.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  98.3 KB
Old 07-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Electric Yaris conversion? That's pretty kewl.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
spdas

Yes I see how the fresh air is setup now. hmmm maybe the fan is actually blocking the air flow.

Francis
Old 07-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdas View Post
Yes I see how the fresh air is setup now. hmmm maybe the fan is actually blocking the air flow.

Francis
The fan doesn't really block it, but the design of the fan housing definitely adds to the tortuous path of the air from intake to vents.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
There is no vent door to open (other than the manual flick of the switch from recirc to outside). The location of the intake is why you don't get any flow through the vents. This is the intake scoop for the fan. It is located under the top of the dash on the passenger side, and connects to the wiper cowling under the hood. If you can give it a more direct input, you will see more flow from the vents with the fan off.
Looks like CTScott's investment in Crashy is paying off for other members as well.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote