Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2016, 01:00 AM   #1
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Project Deathtrap

The "ol" Yaris has been relegated to daily driving duties.

In the mean time, I've taken some measures to get even further into the Toyota scene. I picked up a 1978 Toyota Cressida in September and have been concentrating on making it roadworthy since. I've been wrenching side by side with the owner of VIP Performance here in Portland. The original 4m and automatic transmission has been replaced by a 2JZGE (soon to be T) and a W58 5 speed.

Well that day has come. I won't sit here and tell you guys that it's been painless, after all two flatbed trips on shakedown runs, a tach that works only half the time (even though I know it's been hooked up correctly), and me in search of a mechanical speedo gear conversion on the transmission...There's so many little custom things that are going on with this car, it'd take a few pages of pictures and explanation.

It's all been worth it. After my first car meet, after people following me to get a closer look at the car, after all the support from my wife, the shop, and the sound shop who wants to have me do a new competition system in it...

Forget all that, I have some pictures. Of course I have pictures of the start somewhere (perhaps at the shop), I'll get to those when I get to them. In the mean time, here some pictures of project "Deathtrap":

http://vid720.photobucket.com/albums...psodbrbhgz.mp4

http://vid720.photobucket.com/albums...pscrebimgw.mp4

I've already test fit the turbo manifold:

And a GT42 was test fit just to make sure the GTX3582r will have plenty of room later this summer:

I'm playing the parts gathering game right now. All I need is the major parts, wastegate, blow off valve, the turbo, the manifold, intercooler, and the oil lines. I'll be picking up the WG and BOV up this month. The manifold that was test fit will be coming next month...and so on...
Old 02-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Cool project.

Are you keeping that intake manifold or going to a 2JZ-GTE manifold with the front mount input?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

That has been a topic for discussion.

If I want to save some money, there's no reason why I have to convert to the GTE style. On the other hand, we've also discussed fabbing up a custom intake mani using the stock GE runner and having it come straight in like the GTE intake. As some know, the two aren't interchangeable.

I'm thinking of doing the custom GE intake and then converting to a coil over plug distro setup. "Easily done" since we're using a standalone. We've already transferred the MAF sensor to a MAP setup.

Lots of choices! That's one of the reasons I chose this engine...there's SO much aftermarket support for it. It's like the Japanese version of a Chevy 350. We looked at a BEAMS 3SGTE but my goal is north of 600 WHP and the JZ can get there easier than the 3S. Besides, it sounds SOOOO smooth. It'll be a panty thief with boost on it. :p
Old 02-26-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
This is just nasty! I'm watching this thread, keep them pics coming.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

There's SO many little things that need to be addressed with this Cressida.

Aside from the turbo portion, the body work is a project. It has a few cancer spots, as most any driven car would from 1978. It is in surprisingly good condition inside and out. I'm still sporting the stock seats. It's a throwback to the Bee Gees era of smoking and disco. It has shag carpeting and ash trays in the back door cards.

The sound system, my specialty, has been planned and is waiting my go ahead. I'll drop the hint of all Italian and an all digital signal path with at least 3 linear actuators in the trunk.

Today I'm heading up to the sound shop and we're going to be looking at wiring in a custom push to start ignition, removing the standard ignition barrel and hiding the start button. :D. I love clever little projects like that. My last Datsun 620 started with a magnet. :D

I'm also going to replace the lights with Jeep sealed round LEDs. Those pieces are SOOOO nice. We use them on the HMMWVs in the Army.

This is just this morning's work. I'll be heading to the tuning shop tonight, with beer appropriately, and we'll be doing some closed loop fuel tuning. Right now the standalone is going wild with fuel. I'm probably getting 12 mpg. Blech! We'll also be adjusting the gas pedal and clutch.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I will do my best to produce a custom track worthy of both the car and the anticipated audio system! I have just finished my newly built PC so production will begin soon.

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #7
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

We'll put it on video too!

Did you get the bread yet, or is it still in transport?

Jim and I sat down today and looked at subwoofer & enclosure options. Since I'm a fan of 8" woofers we're looking at 2 Hertz Mille Legend 2500.3 pieces. There's a perfect environment and location that would take them off the floor of the trunk. If I'm envisioning it correctly, we could use that added space for more linear actuator movement on the three amplifiers...resulting in the ability to see more of the wiring that would be made all pretty like. The system will be a three way...as if it could be anything else with me involved.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I just made the serious plunge with the car...

It'll be running on boost before May 28th. Lots of custom work is being done under the hood, to the body, and to the new gauge cluster I'm fabricating.

Lots of pics to come over the next few weeks.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #9
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Will be a sexy Cressy

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Will be a sexy Cressy

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e
Indeed
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Progress update:

How'd those get in there?!? More tweaking is needed on the GE style manifold to clear the turbine housing. I cleaned off an extra GE throttle body I had laying around. Apparently I didn't have a throttle dashpot on my original one. Hopefully that'll ease the linearity issue of the acceleration that I've been experiencing. It seemed that every car with a boy racer in it thought that I wanted to race because I had to blip the throttle when I left a stoplight. Just for shiggles, we're replacing the current Frankenstein pedal with a new SC300 pedal.

Yes, I'll wrap the downpipe. I'll also put a blanket on the hot side. I have to tweak the intake first to create a little more room.

I'm going to notch the frame to allow the bottom of the intercooler to go in about 1/2". The top is fine. The area will be cut to fit the piping obviously. We'll make the tolerances close but not tight...to allow for vehicle flex. I don't want to pop a tube every time I get on it (even though it has solid mounts). We're also going to liquid cool the wastegate. Never done that before, I just thought it might be an interesting thing to do.

...and yes, I'm replacing the OEM radiator. The new Mishi arrives this week. The fans are about half the width to the engine and half the weight of the OEM single. They'll be controlled by the EMS.

I have a lot more pics but, it's definitely not finished (obviously). The new gauges are in but need to be hooked up (and yes, it had been finished more than the picture shows). I'll also replace the timing belt when we do the radiator swap.

I thought I was going to have to spray the intercooler black, but with the OEM grill being chrome and "meshed", the intercooler blends in rather well. You won't know the car has an intercooler unless you're REALLY looking for it...if I'm moving, there's very little chance you'll see it. Oh, you'll hear it...the iconic boosted 2JZ sound? oh yes please.

Last edited by sqcomp; 05-17-2016 at 10:53 AM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote