Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
06YarisRS's 2ZR-FE Swap 5-Door Hatchback (Automatic Transmission)

I have decided to give the swap a go. It is definitely beyond the scope of anything I have done mechanically, but I've aways wanted to change an engine and what a great bonus to be able to put a different and more powerful engine in a car. From what I gather, I'm in for an 'easier' swap as I plan to keep my auto transmission and my car is a pre-immobilizer build.

I have read all of the swap threads here on Yaris World by armstrong, tmontague, crankyoldman, atomic hoji, brushforhire several times, extensively searched the internet and read anything I could find about this swap, spoken to folks from NY to CA looking for parts.

By nature, I tend to overthink things. Naturally, I am appealing to the patient understanding and gentle nature of all those who have proceeded me in this worthwhile endeavour.

I have started to accumulate parts. Please, please let me know right away if you see anything amiss in my parts selections.

I started with the right side motor mount. Being frugal and all, rather than spend a couple hundred USD (over $400.00 in Canada) on a new OEM one (couldn't find a used one anywhere), I bought a new knock off mount (~$32.00 USD) and a used bracket (~$25.00) and associated bolts. I hope I don't come to regret the purchase of the mount, but it is surprisingly sturdy and seemingly well made.

Here is a link to the mount, but I take no responsibility if it ultimately turns out to be a piece of crap. Keep in mind that you'd have to source the bracket elsewhere. Also, note that there is no rubber cover on the mount. I'll try to fabricate and attach some kind of rubber cover. Or, just buy the actual OEM part complete with bracket. [UPDATE: DO NOT BUY THIS MOUNT, IT IS JUNK]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Mount...72.m2749.l2649

Edit (29 Sept) Mount with a little paint and bent bolt. I think the bracket was removed from the car with a backhoe. A chunk of the mount came along with it. Can't find a part number for the bolt as it's part of the whole OEM unit, so I'll take the bolt to a local auto parts store and match it up.

A 2010 Scion xD Airbox, tube and MAF sensor

Airbox with a little TLC. Washed the box and removed rusty clamps/hardware, soaked them overnight in phosphoric acid, and a couple coats of cured VHT Flameproof. I hate rust.

I will be buying my engine (looking at a 2012 Scion and a 2011 Corolla, both with low 40K miles) , ECU and harness within a couple of days. After that, A/C compressor and alternator. The Scion will need a throttlebody as that was scavenged, the Corolla would need the timing cover bracket (Part# 12315-37040) and associated hardware.

My first technical question: In Tom Armstrong's swap thread, it refers to a 2008 - 2009 Scion xD ECU. As mentioned, I am looking at a 2012 Scion engine, ECU and harness all out of the same automatic car. Will the 2012 ECU work? or should I be looking for a 2008 - 2009 only ECU?

My second technical question Most of the used ECUs I looked at say that reprogramming may be necessary. Is this only related to the immobilizer? If I don't have an immobilizer, will the ECU be otherwise plug and play?

There is no definitive timeline on this project and I will have to try to make time around kiddie sports schedules/ family committments etc, though those have never really stopped me in the past.

I will do my best to post pics and explain what I've done - including any and all blunders - as I go.

I'm going to add pricing to give people an idea of what it might cost in US dollars. I'm not including part numbers until I can confirm that they are indeed the correct part and function as I hope they do.

Items Purchased and Pricing (USD): I will keep adding to the list as I make my purchases.

New xD Passenger Side Mount* $31.38 (pic in this post) [I REPEAT: DO NOT BUY THIS MOUNT, IT IS JUNK]
2009 xD Passenger Side Mount Bracket** $35.00 (pic in this post)

New OEM Passenger Side Mount (12305-37091) $181.00 shipping included
2010 xD Airbox, Tube and MAF sensor $85.00 (pic in this post)
2008 ECU (Automatic) $17.59 (pic in post# 6)
2011 xD (Automatic) Engine Harness $140.00 (pic post#16, #76)
2011 Corolla 2ZR-FE $700.00 (pics in post #17, #75, #84)
New Timing cover mount bracket + hardware $107.00 with shipping (parts list in post#18)
2011 Corolla 1.8L alternator (local yard 42 000 kms) $58.06 (pic in post #41)
2010 Corolla A/C compressor $89.74 (pic in post #135)

Scion xD extra parts for:
Alternator, Radiator and engine mounting $73.39 with shipping (parts list post#32, post#114)
Scion xD mipdipe (Aftermarket - Eastern Catalytic) from Rock Auto $324.00
2014 Corolla Engine Cover - $19.30 (pic in post#118)

Running Total $1795.08

* This mount is not the full OEM mount of the same part number. It is missing the bracket.
** I could not find this part anywhere other than eBay.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-10-2018 at 09:31 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Subscribed!
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #3
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Awesome! Congrats on taking the plunge!

Good score on those parts, I had very little luck when I was searching for the brackets, etc.. and just ended up buying from an online dealer. The airbox I did find actually cost as much or more than a CAI kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post

My first technical question: In Tom Armstrong's swap thread, it refers to a 2008 - 2009 Scion xD ECU. As mentioned, I am looking at a 2012 Scion engine, ECU and harness all out of the same automatic car. Will the 2012 ECU work? or should I be looking for a 2008 - 2009 only ECU?

My second technical question Most of the used ECUs I looked at say that reprogramming may be necessary. Is this only related to the immobilizer? If I don't have an immobilizer, will the ECU be otherwise plug and play?

There is no definitive timeline on this project and I will have to try to make time around kiddie sports schedules/ family committments etc, though those have never really stopped me in the past.

I will do my best to post pics and explain what I've done - including any and all blunders - as I go.
Not having done the swap on a 2nd gen. I'll take a stab at this, but suspect one of the 2nd gen. guys will chime in.. If you haven't already, get the wiring diagrams for any and all models you are using - your Yaris, the Scion xD, and the Corolla. It will make life so much easier to know where the differences might bite you; which will inevitably happen.. lol

1. If you have everything from the 2ZR-FE and your Yaris uses the same autobox then I imagine the 2012 Scion xD ECM will work; small differences in connectors, etc.. can be confirmed via wiring diagram. The weirdness with the xDs starts in 2013 - when looking up parts you'll find 2008 - 2012, the 2013/2014s are often not listed. BUT, the engine harness will match the ECM, obviously, you just need to match the body harness to the ECM - again, I suspect you're ok as the weirdness starts post-2012..

2. The immobilizer and the VIN is the only "reprogramming" that come to mind. If you're getting the ECM Canada side and your Yaris doesn't have an immobilizer, just ensure that the 2012 ECM is also non-immobilizer. Since your Yaris doesn't have the immobilizer key and ECU to talk to the xD ECM, the xD ECM won't get a valid signal to allow the engine to start. I believe the guys who are running non-immobilizer ECMs have a work-around to avoid the immobilizer equipped Yaris' to talk to the non-immobilizer ECMs, but I'm not aware of a way to trick the immobilizer ECM into starting with a non-immobilizer vehicle... immobilizer-mobilize-mobile... too many immobilizerers... Anyhow, hope that makes sense...

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Welcome aboard!

No ecu reprogramming needed as long as you get a non immobilizer ecu. I reprogrammed the ECU VIN to match my original chassis vin so that less red flags were raised when it comes to e test out here in Ont. But it's not needed.

A 2012 should be fine as stated above as long as your it is a non immobilizer ecu.

The 2zr is a darn fine engine it is stupid reliable and has good area under the curve on a dyno- Toyota did well with this one I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Thanks gentlemen! To pick up on a few points... Adam, thanks for the advice on the wiring diagrams. I will try to find those. You mention body harness? I thought that all I was concerned with was the engine harness. I know about the MAF requiring an alternate power source and the speed sensor wires that need to be switched over to the xD harness. I'm sourcing all parts for my non-immobilizer auto Yaris in the USA and will buy a 2008 - 2009 ECU (89661-52F71). The harness is where I'm struggling now.

From my research, the xD came in both auto and manual transmission. I have been unable to confirm if there is any physical differences between the harness for manual and automatic. I expect the plugs for transmission might be different? Every part number on eBay goes like this: 648.SC1D11 (with what appears to be the last 2 digits referencing the model year). I had asked Tom and he didn't think there were any differences, but when I asked him, I didn't specify auto vs manual. On toyotapartsdeal, there are several different harness part numbers for the xD automatic trans:
2008 - 2009 (P#82121-52F00)
2010 - 2012 (P#82121-52K00)
2013 - 2014 (P#82121-52K01) - Maybe all these parts are the same but just different naming due to the production year. (Recall that I said I overthink things )

I don't want to pay ~$600.00 for a harness, so just trying to find a used one but all eBay listings use the 648.SC1xx format.

There is a harness and engine from a 2012 xD that I'm looking at and it is automatic. It is immobilizer so I can't use the ecu, but can I use the harness?

Right now, this is turning out to be the hardest part of parts procurement. I think once I get past this, it will smooth sailing, parts-wise. Should just need an ECU, throttlebody (and mounting hardware, gasket), alternator and A/C compressor. Planning to use my Yaris (cold climate) starter.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-27-2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:08 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Just scored my ECU (part#89661-52F71). Hopefully the static from buddy's carpet wont mess it up. Prices on eBay ranged from $17.59 (the one I bought) up to $100.00 +. They all looked in similar shape and all were 2008 - 2009, so I saw no point in paying more. This guy's warranty is 6 months, longer than most. And, it has a full bracket - not sure if that fits in the Yaris though.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-26-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:37 AM   #7
tmontague

Yup bracket is the exact same as the yaris ecu.

Iirc the auto trans harness would have different connectors than its m/t counterpart
Old 09-27-2018, 06:17 AM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Yup bracket is the exact same as the yaris ecu.

Iirc the auto trans harness would have different connectors than its m/t counterpart
Great! Thanks Trevor. I've made an offer on the 2012 scion engine. Just waiting to hear back from him. The guy confirms that the harness is from the same car; an auto, has A/C (which I now believe was standard equipment on all xDs) but was immobilizer equipped. I'll continue researching if the harness he has will work. I suspect that it will but would rather be 100% sure. Right now my plan is to use our school shop on a weekend (Friday from 4:00pm through Sunday evening) and I'd really like to have it out of there by late Sunday and over to the local shop that's going to do my exhaust. The local shop owner is willing to come over and help out if I get into a bind. He would, of course, charge me for his time. He's worked on my cars in the past and I trust him.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #9
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
One of us! One of us! One of us!

Welcome to the cult--er, club! Looking forward to your build.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #10
tmontague

An immobilizer harness should work no problem but the best bet is to pull the immobilizer pins front the connector that goes into the ecu just in case so this way the ecu has no chance that any signal for an immobilizer could be read
Old 09-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #11
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post

Haha! Thanks Sam. Not in yet...not at least until I'm driving up and down the road in a 2ZR-FE-powered Yaris. But, I really do wanna join.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #12
06YarisRS

Quote:
An immobilizer harness should work no problem but the best bet is to pull the immobilizer pins front the connector that goes into the ecu just in case so this way the ecu has no chance that any signal for an immobilizer could be read
Ah, sounds like excellent advice. Whenever I get my harness and associated wiring diagram, I will endeavour to find those spots and see if there are any pins occupying them. If so, I will remove them. Thank you. I'd really still like to find out the differences - if any - between the auto engine harnesses.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #13
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post

LOL +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Thanks gentlemen! To pick up on a few points... Adam, thanks for the advice on the wiring diagrams. I will try to find those. You mention body harness? I thought that all I was concerned with was the engine harness. ...

From my research, the xD came in both auto and manual transmission. ...

I don't want to pay ~$600.00 for a harness, so just trying to find a used one but all eBay listings use the 648.SC1xx format.

There is a harness and engine from a 2012 xD that I'm looking at and it is automatic. It is immobilizer so I can't use the ecu, but can I use the harness?

Yes.. Two harnesses plug into the ECM - one for the engine, which is basically a pile of wiring that 'drapes' over the engine and routes to all the sensors, etc.. and the bundle goes to a long, rectangular connector at the ECM. Then there's the body harness, which is how the ECM talks to the rest of the car, that routes around the engine bay and into the interior through a grommet up by the brake cylinder; this one has a smaller, square/rectangular connector at the ECM. You need the engine one to match your 2ZR (preferably with the engine and intact) and keep the body harness on your Yaris. <-- not being pedantic, just clear how I use the wording between the two... lol

Definitely try to get the engine harness associated with the engine, even if it needs a couple of connectors swapped those are $12-$20 or so each - just remember to sort it out and order once! The $22 shipping on a $16 connector hurts when you do it twice. lol A bit of bravery for soldering or crimping may be required, but given you repainted your Yaris, I suspect you're up for the task.

I just double checked, but on my 3rd gen., and I imagine the 2nd gen. as the key and chip ECU are inside the car, the immobilizer wiring is on the body harness, not the engine harness. So, even if that 2ZR from the xD was immobilizer equipped the engine harness won't have any of the immobilizer wiring... You are likely plug and play to an xD ECM (*ECM that matches MT/autobox) Where I ran into trouble is the connectors that interfaced from the engine harness to the junction box (J/B) - i.e. power and grounds, etc.. to the main J/B. That's where I ordered the Toyota connector and re-pinned to match the accepting connector in the main J/B on the Yaris.

If that ECM you scored is an autobox and non-immobilizer I think you're headed down the right path!

When you get the wiring diagrams, etc.. keep us posted, I'm sure everyone will be happy to clarify / peer check things for you.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:44 PM   #14
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
LOL +1

Yes.. Two harnesses plug into the ECM - one for the engine, which is basically a pile of wiring that 'drapes' over the engine and routes to all the sensors, etc.. and the bundle goes to a long, rectangular connector at the ECM. Then there's the body harness, which is how the ECM talks to the rest of the car, that routes around the engine bay and into the interior through a grommet up by the brake cylinder; this one has a smaller, square/rectangular connector at the ECM. You need the engine one to match your 2ZR (preferably with the engine and intact) and keep the body harness on your Yaris. <-- not being pedantic, just clear how I use the wording between the two... lol

Definitely try to get the engine harness associated with the engine, even if it needs a couple of connectors swapped those are $12-$20 or so each - just remember to sort it out and order once! The $22 shipping on a $16 connector hurts when you do it twice. lol A bit of bravery for soldering or crimping may be required, but given you repainted your Yaris, I suspect you're up for the task.

I just double checked, but on my 3rd gen., and I imagine the 2nd gen. as the key and chip ECU are inside the car, the immobilizer wiring is on the body harness, not the engine harness. So, even if that 2ZR from the xD was immobilizer equipped the engine harness won't have any of the immobilizer wiring... You are likely plug and play to an xD ECM (*ECM that matches MT/autobox) Where I ran into trouble is the connectors that interfaced from the engine harness to the junction box (J/B) - i.e. power and grounds, etc.. to the main J/B. That's where I ordered the Toyota connector and re-pinned to match the accepting connector in the main J/B on the Yaris.

If that ECM you scored is an autobox and non-immobilizer I think you're headed down the right path!

When you get the wiring diagrams, etc.. keep us posted, I'm sure everyone will be happy to clarify / peer check things for you.

-- Adam
Thanks Adam. A tiny setback...the seller listing the Scion xD engine informs me that he sold the harness that goes with that 2012 engine. Now I have to decide if I want that xD engine or the 2011 Corolla engine (which has the throttlebody but would need the timing cover bracket). Either way, this puts me in a position of having to decide which xD harness to buy. There are a couple available that are from automatics. I think I just need to buy one from an automatic and move forward. If I'm understanding you correctly, the immobilizer should not be an issue as its wiring in the BCM harness. Fact is, the number of available used harnesses is really limited and I've already seen a couple get sold.

I've just been over to TIS and watched parts of the tutorial. I guessing the EWD section in the library would contain what I'm looking for. This is new to me as the only wiring diagrams I've ever used were for such things as stereo installs. Would I be looking for pinout diagrams of the ECU. And, I assume there would be pinout diagrams for each plug on the harness?

And, yes, the ECU I bought from an 08 xD is for auto and non-immobilizer.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:22 PM   #15
tmontague

Yes what Adam said is correct. Stop waiting and grab an a/t xd harness before they're all gone and you are stuck paying toyota prices for one! Keep your 1nz harness as many of the connectors are interchangeable and its helpful to have extra just in case
Old 09-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #16
06YarisRS

Quote:
Yes what Adam said is correct. Stop waiting and grab an a/t xd harness before they're all gone and you are stuck paying toyota prices for one! Keep your 1nz harness as many of the connectors are interchangeable and its helpful to have extra just in case
Done...I will order one tonight. Thank you!

Seller accepted my offer. Picked up a 2011 Auto xD harness (Part#82121-52K00).

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-27-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:40 PM   #17
06YarisRS

Bought Engine $700.00

Hope it makes it from Ohio in one piece.

2011 Toyota Corolla with 42000 miles. Rear collision, no front end damage.

Has intake manifold, exhaust manifold, throttlebody, flywheel, coils and even a harness, Anyone looking for a Corolla engine harness?

EDIT: Got the call today (28 Sept) from the seller confirming delivery address. Found out that they use their own shipper so I feel better about that. They said that if there is any damage it will be paid for.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-28-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #18
06YarisRS

Other Hardware.

Timing cover mount, 3 bolts and a nut