Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-30-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Gas pedal

Hi,

Is there a way to make the gas pedal harder to press? The pedal is so sentitive, that when I drive on the freeway my foot starts hurting, because I need to keep it up, to avoid pushing the pedal with its weight alone. And I'm a little guy (5' 6", 156 lbs).

Florin
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
SailDesign

Drives: .
You'll develop the muscles needed to keep your foot up in no time (couple of weeks)
Don't sweat it, just make sure you exercise the other foot equally.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Pavel Olavich
Banned

I hear you, as I had the same issues with my 2006 Mustang w/stick sift...even after 18 months, my foot never really got use to holding the gas pedel steady in one place, and it was too easy to push.

Replaced that pile of junk with a 2007 Yaris LB w/auto trans (less accelerator movement), but even with an auto tranny, the pedel is still a bit too soft.

This all makes a strong case for having Cruise Control, to cut down on driving fatigue, and such, but of course my Yaris LB does not have that, and I am reluctant to get a 3rd party solution, as they seem kind of flakey.

Still, the Yaris gas pedel is not as easy to press as my old Mustang, so things in that department have improvied...still, I wonder if there is a stronger spring that can be installed to mitigate this soft-easy pedel issue, short of installing CC.
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
You'll develop the muscles needed to keep your foot up in no time (couple of weeks)
ROTFL :-)
Old 03-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
Still, the Yaris gas pedel is not as easy to press as my old Mustang, so things in that department have improvied...still, I wonder if there is a stronger spring that can be installed to mitigate this soft-easy pedel issue, short of installing CC.
Maybe I should get shoes with helium-filled soles
Old 03-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
is this for real?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Ive never gotten any speeding tickets until I got a yaris, the accelerator pedal is a little on the "light" side. I went ahead and got the cc kit from thecruisecontrolstore.com, but have yet to install it. My damn chrysler lebaron GTC keeps leaking power steering fluid so it has been a distraction from getting the cc installed on the yaris.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:01 AM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
I totally agree, the first couple of months of driving were a bit weird, but now I can keep a feather weight on the pedal for long periods of time without much problem... And being a manual, my left foot gets equal exercise with the feelingless clutch pedal

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:07 AM   #9
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
stupid question Thomas, but is your gas pedal on the left or right, being RHD and all?
Old 03-31-2007, 12:16 AM   #10
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
I had the same issue for the first couple days.
I have a wide open exhaust(does not fart,roars)and I can hear exactly when the car is is about to stop giving fuel,I do this when going down hills or highways on a long down path instead of not giving it gas at all,as that would start to slow you down,anyway,when Im doing this and hit several bumps,just the slight movment of my foot starts ths jerking,because its gettting gas then not,its hard to explain,but its because of the peddle sensativity.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:24 AM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
stupid question Thomas, but is your gas pedal on the left or right, being RHD and all?
ahhaahha a good question really, you could think they are also reversed, but they're in the same order, clutch, brake, gas from left to right.

If they were reversed, imagine how hard it would be for people to travel and rent a car! Already people get the blinkers and window washer controls mixed up...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-31-2007, 07:55 AM   #12
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
ahhaahha a good question really, you could think they are also reversed, but they're in the same order, clutch, brake, gas from left to right.

If they were reversed, imagine how hard it would be for people to travel and rent a car! Already people get the blinkers and window washer controls mixed up...
I jumped in a spoon Civic about 5 years ago at HIN in Atlanta and it was weird having the shifter in your left hand, but I did not pay attention to the pedals.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

well as long as you don't accidentally open the door instead of shifting gears...

Bye bye 1NZ...