Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
rkvin21

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris SE
0-60 type mods

I originally bought a yaris to learn how to drive a manual so I can get a new 2010 camaro ss manual. Now that I have learned and driven, it I love it. The problem is I just wanna go quicker. Right now I have a TRD quickshifter and an AEM CAI. Toyota installed the quickshifter and I talked them into reducing the timed charged. I installed the AEM CAI myself(this is the only thing I have ever done to a car besides changing an air filter) and it only took me 1hr 10min. The quickshifter is fun and I love the CAI but I still want more lol. I don't care how fast it can go...yet. I just want to go from 0 to speed limit(well 5 over lol) as fast as possible. I've been thinking about a t/c or s/c to really get it done. I plan on getting NST pulleys but need to decide whether to get a t/c or s/c to choose either the underdrive or normal. So which will give me the best 0-60? a t/c or a s/c? Also what other mods could I do to increase my acceleration. Right now i'm at approx 9 second from 0-60. I do definitely less than 10 sec now.
rkvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Well, keep in mind that turbo's will have turbo lag, unless you go with a tiny turbo. I believe s/c's will have a more "instant" power. Personally, I don't like the sound of s/c's and prefer turbo's.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
rkvin21

I know about turbo lag. From what I have read you get the opposite with a supercharger once you reach higher rpms. Also what I have read is that it is possible to reduce your 0-60 by 1/3 with a properly tuned turbo. So far I am not happy from what I have seen/read about using a s/c but the same goes with a t/c as well. I originally wanted a supercharger for that low-end torque but after doing alot of reading(my head is about to explode now! lol) i am leaning towards a t/c. I don't really have a problem with down shifting since it takes less than a second with my quickshifter. I just would like to know which would be better to meet my needs. Once I decide I can start adding my other mods in preparation for the the big jump. No pun intended lol.

P.S. My goal is to beat my co-workers stock mustang GT from a red light to the speed limit +5. So far I have beaten him a couple of times but I know he isn't trying yet. one day we are going to head to the track and really take off.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
pinoypizzaboy

Drives: 08 toyota yaris LB
2010 camaro ss. Thats definitely gonna beat ur buddys mustang :)
pinoypizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

hmmmm, if you can't wait for a production turbo kit, then your best bet would be a Blitz s/c. As for me, I'll stick to turbo's. I don't really like the parasitic loss that comes with s/c's. I just want some extra power and torque since I carpool a lot, and when the a/c is requested, I really have to mash on the gas more to keep going.

How about weight-saving mods? If you don't really use your interior much, take out all the seats (except for the driver's seat ), remove all carpet and sound deadening material. I'd keep the a/c, especially since you're in AZ. Power steering also robs some power, plus will save you weight when removed. Remove the spare and tools (get AAA and a cell phone, not only will this better the power to weight ratio, it'll better your gas mileage). Get some lighter rims and tires. And if you want, get a lightened flywheel.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
rkvin21

Well duh! its an extra 122 hp. I am totally test driving it once it comes out. Unfortunately the camaro is slowly rolling away unless I find a better job. I enjoy my yaris and want to keep it so then I would have to make both payments + insurance lol. btw i'm talking about beating his mustang in my yaris
Old 01-06-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkvin21 View Post
Well duh! its an extra 122 hp. I am totally test driving it once it comes out. Unfortunately the camaro is slowly rolling away unless I find a better job. I enjoy my yaris and want to keep it so then I would have to make both payments + insurance lol. btw i'm talking about beating his mustang in my yaris
LOL...in the mean time, hire a hot import model in a bikini, and the next time you guys do a race, have her stand next to his Mustang. Distraction is key
Old 01-06-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
rkvin21

I was actually thinking about more of a custom turbo system if that is what I decided. I would like to put it all together myself. I have a welder if needed and am quite mechanically inclined in case you couldn't tell from my first mod by myself. Also is there much of an advantage using the 10% underdrive pulley vs normal? Also it is said that you don't want to use the underdrive for s/c, but t/c's are ok. Is that true? I have thought about weight reduction and I have both AAA and a cell phone lol. I do need my seats though lol. I have a gf believe it or not. I was thinking about maybe a lighter shifter knob, lightweight racing seats, and a lighter steering wheel.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #9
rkvin21

actually its easier just to send a txt at the red light.Its cheaper lol. I really smoked him with that one. Btw I didn't send him the txt he just happened to receive one at that time.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #10
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
hmmmm, if you can't wait for a production turbo kit, then your best bet would be a Blitz s/c. As for me, I'll stick to turbo's. I don't really like the parasitic loss that comes with s/c's. I just want some extra power and torque since I carpool a lot, and when the a/c is requested, I really have to mash on the gas more to keep going.

How about weight-saving mods? If you don't really use your interior much, take out all the seats (except for the driver's seat ), remove all carpet and sound deadening material. I'd keep the a/c, especially since you're in AZ. Power steering also robs some power, plus will save you weight when removed. Remove the spare and tools (get AAA and a cell phone, not only will this better the power to weight ratio, it'll better your gas mileage). Get some lighter rims and tires. And if you want, get a lightened flywheel.
Um last time I check the yaris had electronic steering.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
Um last time I check the yaris had electronic steering.
Woops. My bad. You're right.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
I was actually thinking about more of a custom turbo system if that is what I decided. I would like to put it all together myself. I have a welder if needed and am quite mechanically inclined in case you couldn't tell from my first mod by myself. Also is there much of an advantage using the 10% underdrive pulley vs normal? Also it is said that you don't want to use the underdrive for s/c, but t/c's are ok. Is that true? I have thought about weight reduction and I have both AAA and a cell phone lol. I do need my seats though lol. I have a gf believe it or not. I was thinking about maybe a lighter shifter knob, lightweight racing seats, and a lighter steering wheel.
I haven't had the time nor the money to look into the more performance inclined mods yet, so I really don't know much about the underdrive pulley. I just know that it'll yield a little more power than stock and NST's CR-Lite pulley.

about the text comment. Ok, keep the front passenger seat for some action when needed. A weighted knob is actually better than a lightened knob. They're friggin expensive tho. You can always remove the aforementioned carpet and sound-deadening material if you can't remove the seats. Any way you can custom make CF parts? Damn, wish I knew how to weld and had a welder.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #13
saplaymate

Drives: 08' HB
Pull all the extra weight out and get a limited slip & good tires.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Also, as you may have been reading, turbo'ing the Yaris is not that easy. Garm almost has it down tho.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by saplaymate View Post
Pull all the extra weight out and get a limited slip & good tires.
Good call on the LSD, completely slipped my mind. I believe Garm sells those too.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #16
rkvin21

ya totally forgot about the LSD. It's on my list lol. I got my CAI from Garm before I joined. They got really good prices and I got it pretty quick since I ordered it just before christmas lol. If I can verify that a underdive does better than the light and that a t/c would work with it i'll go turbo.

Btw I need more than just the passanger seat lol. no i'm not big. i'm 5'6" 122lbs pure muscle. Well almost pure I only bench 185 and deadlift 295 lol. I sink in water. No she's not big either lol, same size.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #17
saplaymate

Drives: 08' HB
Stop it your impressing yourself !
Old 01-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
ya totally forgot about the LSD. It's on my list lol. I got my CAI from Garm before I joined. They got really good prices and I got it pretty quick since I ordered it just before christmas lol. If I can verify that a underdive does better than the light and that a t/c would work with it i'll go turbo.

Btw I need more than just the passanger seat lol. no i'm not big. i'm 5'6" 122lbs pure muscle. Well almost pure I only bench 185 and deadlift 295 lol. I sink in water. No she's not big either lol, same size.
hahahahahaha. I don't really have the time to work out, but since I'm on break, I'm at the gym every chance I can get.

But yeah, I believe Richard H. has some dyno slips of the underdrive pulleys.