Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2009, 06:13 AM   #55
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Anyone else?!
NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #56
AznGouki
Metsu

Drives: NCP91 ; E36
Those batteries look amazing. I'm very interested in the 9lb battery. I only intend to use it for the spring, summer, early fall months so I wonder if that would be doable. I'd like to know roughly how long it can sit for before it dies and if I can still start the yaris at -10C/14F. I really want the weight advantage and still keep the factory battery for the cold Canadian winters. I don't have any audio upgrades and my car is the base base model hatch if that helps.

Also the J hook kit looks really nice too.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #57
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznGouki View Post
Those batteries look amazing. I'm very interested in the 9lb battery. I only intend to use it for the spring, summer, early fall months so I wonder if that would be doable. I'd like to know roughly how long it can sit for before it dies and if I can still start the yaris at -10C/14F. I really want the weight advantage and still keep the factory battery for the cold Canadian winters. I don't have any audio upgrades and my car is the base base model hatch if that helps.

idk bout the 9lb but the 11lb can only sit there for a few days. i was originally going to get the 9lb also because i dont have audio upgrades or anything and it rarely gets cold here but i just figured 2 and half more pounds of weight was worth the little extra security. i think the nine pound would be a little sketchy.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #58
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'm using the 15 pound to make room for turbo piping. I like the balance between size and weight and strength with that one.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #59
AznGouki
Metsu

PK198105 seriously...3 bumps on this??? A mod needs to ban or suspend this guy.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #60
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
lol. that would be harsh, but i dont understand all the bumps?
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #61
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznGouki View Post

Thank you for the interest in our site and products, I appreciate it.

The 9lb is a great little battery, and it would work for you if you don't plan on any audio/video upgrades. This battery can sit for almost a couple weeks without a start. As long as you drive your car at least a few days a week you would be fine.

The 11lb is the one I would normally recommend for most Yaris owners. This battery has a little more juice and can sit for almost a month without a start. It also does a bit better in cold weather.

Either way, both are GREAT batteries and our customers seem to love them thus far. And of course, we use one in our AE86 drift car.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #62
AznGouki
Metsu

Thanks for the reply NST. I drive my car everyday but on the odd days off from work, I may not drive it for 1-2 days. I just wanted to make sure that the battery wasn't going to flat out and die on me as I wake up from a 7 hr sleep haha. How much would shipping be to canada and is there a deal if I buy 2? Also what are the instructions for using the j hook kit.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #63
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
not much cheaper, and probably not even suitable for the job...but:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...PCELL-400.html
one of those in the trunk instead of a batt in the front...
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #64
Te019

Drives: 2008 Yaris, 2000 Echo
Exclamation

Hey this is my first post, but I have to chime in about these batteries. I ordered mine a few days ago, and it arrived (15lb carbon fiber one) today. It came with a certificate - kind of like a born on date... anyway mine was April 9th.

I installed it in my car, and my scangauge indicated that voltage was less than 13volts. It would stay around 12, then dip into the 11s and 10s even. I tried running my radar detector (as the only electrical accessory), and it would not run... it kept shutting down and basically was struggling to work. Not good.

So... I decided to put back in the stock battery and return the Braille battery tomorrow (unfortunately). I put the stock battery back in which I only had out for maybe 4 hours, and now it is indicating a low charge (12-13volts, when it normally boots right up to 14volts). So what's the deal with the battery issues? Is my stock battery dead? Was I supposed to "break in" this Braille battery so it could build up a charge to 13.8 (supposedly what it says it's supposed to output) volts?
Te019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #65
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
If we have minor Audio mods, will the 11lb battery be sufficient? I'm talking about 2 amps one for speakers and one for sub. I got a aftermarket headunit too.

MunkyWurks Garage - 8088488794
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #66
NonStopTuning

Yes, should work just fine. Or you can go with the 15lb and have no worries what-so-ever and still shave off some SERIOUS weight, compared to your OEM battery.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #67
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te019 View Post
Hey this is my first post, but I have to chime in about these batteries. I ordered mine a few days ago, and it arrived (15lb carbon fiber one) today. It came with a certificate - kind of like a born on date... anyway mine was April 9th.

I installed it in my car, and my scangauge indicated that voltage was less than 13volts. It would stay around 12, then dip into the 11s and 10s even. I tried running my radar detector (as the only electrical accessory), and it would not run... it kept shutting down and basically was struggling to work. Not good.

So... I decided to put back in the stock battery and return the Braille battery tomorrow (unfortunately). I put the stock battery back in which I only had out for maybe 4 hours, and now it is indicating a low charge (12-13volts, when it normally boots right up to 14volts). So what's the deal with the battery issues? Is my stock battery dead? Was I supposed to "break in" this Braille battery so it could build up a charge to 13.8 (supposedly what it says it's supposed to output) volts?
Shame on you for not ordering it from NST

It sounds like your problem is elsewhere. Maybe a loose connection? Something moved without you noticing? A wire being pinched? etc? The fact that your OEM battery is also showing low output leads me to believe that your problem is NOT with the Braille, and with something else.

I have yet to hear, or see, any problems with the Braille battery when installed correctly. We have done about a dozen of these installations in Scion, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan cars in our garage at NST. Every battery thus far has fired right up, has worked very well, and has provided very good results.

I would check all your connections before making your final decision.

Good luck, and please consider NST for your future purchases

Old 05-14-2009, 12:12 AM   #68
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
I changed out my stock battery with an aftermarket one that has somewhere around 630 cold cranking amps. It is the highest I am allowed to put in my car. Haven't had any issues with it yet. My stock one actually died on me after sitting for only 4 days. I charged it, and it went dead again less than 72 hours later. Then it started to die within 48 hours, and that is when I replaced it. My car sits for several days on a regular basis with NO effects on it at all. Stock batteries suck.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #69
Te019

Drives: 2008 Yaris, 2000 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
Shame on you for not ordering it from NST

It sounds like your problem is elsewhere. Maybe a loose connection?
Yep, it was a loose ground. I had it "tight" but didn't "tighten the hell out of it"... once I did that, it worked. Now the Braille is cranking out 14 volts, 13.7-13.8 with all accessories on.

(The batteries were on sale, otherwise I'd rather have ordered from you guys).

Now if you guys could find carry some ceramic wheel bearings...
Te019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #70
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te019 View Post
Yep, it was a loose ground. I had it "tight" but didn't "tighten the hell out of it"... once I did that, it worked. Now the Braille is cranking out 14 volts, 13.7-13.8 with all accessories on.

(The batteries were on sale, otherwise I'd rather have ordered from you guys).

Now if you guys could find carry some ceramic wheel bearings...
Glad to hear that you're good to go
Old 06-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #71
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries.htm

I had one of these in my EG and it was great, just another option.
Customer service was good also.
YotaYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #72
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
I think is the one I used on my car. If you call them they will let you know exactly what will work for you. I used there battery for 2 years with no problems at all. Ended up selling the car though.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680mjt.htm
YotaYaris is offline   Reply With Quote