Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #19
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
What do ya think Chino, knock up the spare holder and relocate the charcoal box to make room for the center mount exaust?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #20
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Souds like a lot of work that I have no experience with.

I still want a center mount desperately though. I might just have to make Kevin cry for that one. I'll be the guy with the $800 exhaust on his Yaris.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #21
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Souds like a lot of work that I have no experience with.

I still want a center mount desperately though. I might just have to make Kevin cry for that one. I'll be the guy with the $800 exhaust on his Yaris.
and I will be the guy with the guy with the same exhaust for $350
when you are ready Lets make an apointment, get you here the night b4, drop your car off in the mornin, and let them have there way with it, I know you ain't payin more than $400 TOPS to do the same thing your buddy is doing at TI, in stainless... 2.25in madril bends
Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #22
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
Bad idea.

If you went true dual exhaust and had a header custom made to 4-2 split, you would have to figure out how to trick the O2 sensors into thinking that your two pipes are actually one pipe, which means you would be messing with the computer....bad idea, and would most likely hurt performance. Contrary to what most people think, to run effectively and still gain HP, you need SOME back pressure, and true dual exhaust would not provide any back pressure.

If you are going for looks, then go for it, but be prepared to loose more HP than what you have just stock. Spliting the exhaust does the same thing as going from 2" piping down to 1" piping then back up to a 2" muffler...it hurts exhaust velocity.

There is more to exhaust performance than just back pressure, back pressure is a big facter, but exhaust velocity plays a big factor as well. When you split the flow or change tubing sizes, it slows the exhausts escape from the header. It creates a bottle neck effect, slowing the exhausts escape. What this means is, the more you split the flow or go from big to small then back again, the slower the exhaust, the less the performance.

While the dual exhaust makes more back pressure, that can be remedied by larger pipe from the cat back...however, there is no way to fix the velocity issue. So, in what I have seen from dyno results, expect a few HP decrease from stock after you put on the dual exhaust.

If you want performance and looks, mount another muffler to it, and run the tubing back, just dont hook up the tubing to the primary exhaust. No one will ever know, and even when you tie the dual exhausts together, the exhaust always finds the easy way out, and normally goes through only one of the mufflers anyway, so on cold days even when they are tied you will see only one pipe blowing smoke as it is, so why not do the fake dual exhaust.

P.S. In my humble opinion, duals on 4cyl's make me laugh...dual only looks cool on muscle cars and other V powered machines. Sounds like sh-t and is pointless on inline cars.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #23
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
possible to just put the exhaust under the passenger side door? not that i want to
Old 04-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #24
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
Side dump exhaust? As tested in car and driver that had the best performance increase and the best back pressure and exhaust velocity of several set ups that they tested.

Be prepared for lots of noise violation tickets though!

Back on track for the thread...dual exhaust...looks cool to some, hurts performance...even over stock exhaust...
Old 04-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #25
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
I think it is sharp, clean, not to over the top
Old 04-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #26
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
That is a nice dual setup.

A dual exhaust in some cases also says "I don't give a damn what this does for me... the ladies love it."
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #27
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Wink

it looks nice and balanced but non-functional, oh well, whatever
Old 04-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #28
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
Bad idea.

P.S. In my humble opinion, duals on 4cyl's make me laugh...dual only looks cool on muscle cars and other V powered machines. Sounds like sh-t and is pointless on inline cars.
I kinds think this set-up looks good...

Last edited by punch; 09-27-2007 at 07:45 PM.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #29
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I think the original idea is to have a second pipe branch out at the back of the car, or a shared muffler or something, not a full twin pipe all the way to the header... That would be pretty pointless... Although it may give a bit of a subaru-ish rumble as the exhaust alternates between left and right?

Or you can do what I've seen on so many M5 wannabe 5 series here, just have the exhaust tip welded onto a bracket attached to the bumper.

As for dual exhausts being stupid on 4-cylinder cars, Mercedes Benz is happy enough to do it with their 1.8 liter SLK200s... OK, sure, they're supercharged, but it's all about the pimpin' style...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #30
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
We were talking about how on a 4cylinder, you wouldnt split the single header into two, and run a muffler for each pair (two) of cylinders.

Nothing wrong with bringing the piping straight back as is now, and dumping into a dual muffler, no matter how it splits... center together in bumper... offset on each side of bumper... etc.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #31
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
Then would a dual exhaust system work effectively on a turbo charged yaris?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #32
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsteverino889 View Post
Then would a dual exhaust system work effectively on a turbo charged yaris?
if you have 2 turbos, then yes it would.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #33
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
Contrary to what most people think, to run effectively and still gain HP, you need SOME back pressure, and true dual exhaust would not provide any back pressure.

While the dual exhaust makes more back pressure, that can be remedied by larger pipe from the cat back...
I'm confused... or did I understand this incorrectly?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #34
Black Yaris
der Zeck

I think some ppl need more drugs before they start posting on subjects they think they know about
Old 04-06-2007, 06:43 AM   #35
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
You just noticed that now?
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #36
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
I think some ppl need more drugs before they start posting on subjects they think they know about
hope u arent talkin about me bcuz i posted it bcuz i truelly didnt know, alright thanks pops