Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-12-2006, 10:51 AM   #55
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
I don't think it sounds too bad, plus it is hard to tell with speakers. If only it looked like the Medalion Touring...
Yup... look is an important factor for stay away from the cops. Sleeper style is the real way to go. If your exhaust look like a big fart can, you'll be the first to be spotted by the cops.

Some years ago (in 2002), I got a bad 150$ exhaust ticket from the cops even if my exhaust was VERY VERY quiet (almost quiet like OE), but I had a 4.5" huge chrome tip! That's the problem. After that ticket, I begin to use real sleeper muffler, like dual 2.5" tips muffler... even if these exhausts were VERY loud, I never had any problem with the cops anymore.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #56
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
4.5" exhaust tip?! I'd pull you over based on principle alone. Thats just weak.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:56 PM   #57
BulletProofAuto

Drives: 00 itr
exhausts, at least in the us, cannot get you pulled over unless you have removed the cat or you are in violation of the sound level law. i drive a yellow itr with a rather loud exhaust and have never been pulled over, it all depends upon how you drive.
BulletProofAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #58
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
What is the difference between the Concept G and Medalion Touring, other than appearance?

Does one have more baffling than another?

What concerns me the most about the Tanabe exhausts is the reported sound levels. I understand that it stays under 93db at all RPMs, but that could very well mean that it operates at 90db at 3000 RPM, as compared to the 72 or so db that the standard OEM exhaust generates. This is an exaggeration on my part, but I hope you understand my point.

The design of the Medalion Touring is just like the N1 series from Apex, and that design always produces more noise - and not always the best noise, especially on a N/A vehicle.

Listening to the sound clips of the Concept G from the outside, the exhaust sounds somewhat high and blaring at mid/high RPMs. I know this is going to happen when you push the car at higher revs, but the sound reminds me of all the R-Active/Cherry Bomb/Universal exhausts that contribute to the noise pollution on the streets when they're in traffic at 50-60km/h in third gear. (I blame all the poor import tuners for this!)

If Tanabe could produce a chart reflecting average db levels at various RPMs, that would help my decision to buy or not.

For example, Fujitsubo manufactures an exhaust for the 1.5L Yaris RS, brand name Wagolis, which is even QUIETER than stock! The great thing is, the sound it generates is lower (quieter) and the exhaust sound effect is not annoyingly high.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #59
jmew0ng

Drives: Scion FRS
based on the chart... the car produces 118 hp stock :x
Is it me.. or is that awfully high for a standard yaris.
jmew0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:13 AM   #60
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmew0ng
based on the chart... the car produces 118 hp stock :x
Is it me.. or is that awfully high for a standard yaris.
That does look strange...

The Japanese Vitz RS NCP91 2WD 1.5L only produces 108 bhp.

Perhaps the left side "STD" readings are from other exhaust companies?
Old 09-13-2006, 03:01 AM   #61
jmew0ng

Drives: Scion FRS
could be... because I didn't think stock exhaust hit almost 100 dbs.. then again I'm always sitting inside the car so I wouldn't know :x
jmew0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:59 PM   #62
monoculusjoe

Drives: 07YarisVitzBadgingTRDsportivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2AUTOSPL
THis will be available very soon to your guys.
I am so diggin this exhaust! please email me or post up the link when its available.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:21 AM   #63
C2AUTOSPL

Drives: 240sx, 00 Celica
Todd I saw you yesterday on the 91!
Loma Linda, CA 92354
T: 909-796-8189
E-mail: info@c2auto.com
AIM: wide180sx
C2AUTOSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:57 PM   #64
Toddhata

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback, 00 Boxster
Send a message via AIM to Toddhata Send a message via Yahoo to Toddhata
Hope I didn't cut you off. How did the exhaust sound?
Toddhata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:31 AM   #65
C2AUTOSPL

Drives: 240sx, 00 Celica
haha you were driving in the right line behind the big rigs. I exh seems pretty loud. Its nice though, doest sound raspy or anything.
Loma Linda, CA 92354
T: 909-796-8189
E-mail: info@c2auto.com
AIM: wide180sx
C2AUTOSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #66
Tanabe USA

Drives: Toyota Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
What is the difference between the Concept G and Medalion Touring, other than appearance?

Does one have more baffling than another?

What concerns me the most about the Tanabe exhausts is the reported sound levels. I understand that it stays under 93db at all RPMs, but that could very well mean that it operates at 90db at 3000 RPM, as compared to the 72 or so db that the standard OEM exhaust generates. This is an exaggeration on my part, but I hope you understand my point.

The design of the Medalion Touring is just like the N1 series from Apex, and that design always produces more noise - and not always the best noise, especially on a N/A vehicle.

Listening to the sound clips of the Concept G from the outside, the exhaust sounds somewhat high and blaring at mid/high RPMs. I know this is going to happen when you push the car at higher revs, but the sound reminds me of all the R-Active/Cherry Bomb/Universal exhausts that contribute to the noise pollution on the streets when they're in traffic at 50-60km/h in third gear. (I blame all the poor import tuners for this!)

If Tanabe could produce a chart reflecting average db levels at various RPMs, that would help my decision to buy or not.

For example, Fujitsubo manufactures an exhaust for the 1.5L Yaris RS, brand name Wagolis, which is even QUIETER than stock! The great thing is, the sound it generates is lower (quieter) and the exhaust sound effect is not annoyingly high.

The "Under 93db" that we state does not mean that the exhaust operates at 93db at all rpms. When we are developing the exhaust system, we calculate an SAE db average using the same method of testing that is used by referee stations to test sound output from automotive exhausts.

What this means is that 93db is the maximum allowable averaged db rating of the exhaust at all rpms. The exhaust system may be 85db at idle, 88db at cruising, and 92db at high rpms. Under 93db means it will not exceed this. 95db is the legal limit of most states, and every 2db generally represents a doubling in audible volume, putting our exhaust systems well within the scope of legal operation.

Sound clips must be listened to subjectively, as the sound clips we record were using lower tech digital cameras, and only high end equipment can capture the lower, more bass sounding frequencies.

Under 93db means that our exhaust systems are tested to and will conform with SAE db testing procedures used by agencies such as CHP referee stations.

Our exhaust systems are able to acheive this type of sound compliance due to the design and packing material found inside the muffler. We use a highly unique muffler packing material that differs from virtually all other exhaust manufacturers who are still utilizing various types of fiberglass packs.

Please see http://www.tanabe-usa.com/tech/techtest.asp

Tanabe Racing Development USA, Inc.
"We engineer performance!"
http://www.tanabe-usa.com

Performance parts for the Yaris/Vitz available 6-17-06. Please check forum or email us at info@tanabe-usa.com for updates and information.
Tanabe USA is offline   Reply With Quote