Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #19
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
i bught stock in RAAMMat when i did mine two layers used
[IMG][/IMG]
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #20
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Anyone ever measure the HB and the Sedan or calculate for 1 layer of Material, what is the cars sq.ft?

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. --Tom Clancy
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #21
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
But read this first. Great info.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
This really is a good read for anyone considering adding sound dampening
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #22
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyracer View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
damn.... you must have added about 100lbs to your car
Old 03-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #23
pennyracer
boydstir

yes but you need it if your wanting to kill all the road noise and rattles from my sound system . there is more than 60 square feet used for the job

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 AM   #24
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
Weight is a great concern. 100lb is overkill. There is a smarter way of controlling the two types of noise being generated. One is the vibration being propigated by the sheet metal. You could use a lighter weight dampener such as Spectrum by Second Skin Audio. The cool thing about this product is you can get very through coverage and do not need to add that mush weight. You can even apply it as an undercoating. Remember, the purpose of a dampener is to deaden the vibration of the metal itself.

The second method is to utilize a barrier-this reflects sound. Second skin audio makes damplifier pro which is a mass loaded vinyl. Another great alternative is made by cascade audio and is a lead barrier composite. A barrier will be needed to reflect the low frequency high energy sound waves generated by an exhaust.

The third method is an absorber, You can use this but it will not work as well as the other two in this application.

First apply the dampener. Don't go crazy, just cover about 80% with one layer if using mat or a good thin layer if using liquid. Then use one layer of barrier - in this application, lead foil composite from cascade would work great because it conforms very readily to the curvature of the area. Make sure coverage is a complete as possible. Any small breaks and sound can leak through. Then fill the remaining spaces with a good acoustic foam. I used a bunch of memory foam worked really well.
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:27 AM   #25
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

I hope you don't need to get to any of the access ports or anything under all that RAAMmat. That's why I did mine in pieces. That and because I'm lazy.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #26
pennyracer
boydstir

the box is fully removable and the spare and the trays with lid set right back in just like it was when it came from the dealer for when i sell the car . as far as access ports nothing there i will ever need . this might be over kill for some but you cant kill enough noise in these little cars . hell my next job is do the roof the same way . i cant wait !!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #27
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
i ordered one roll of the raammat as well.. did 2 layers all over the floorboards, the side panels behind the doors (3 dr LB) and in the hatch area (not on roof). In a few places its actually 3 layers thick. I then put one layer of foam over the mat.

its much quieter.. Not as quiet as I would like... but the sound I hear now is all coming from the front. I put most of the dampener in the rear. This spring I plan on buying another roll, putting 20sq feet on each door.. and then the rest (20ish) on the firewall... I underestimated how much I should put on the firewall.

It is well worth it... For most people 1 roll (62sq ft) would be enough. I'm anal about rattles however.

I think its money well spent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00914.jpg (98.4 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00919.jpg (82.8 KB, 213 views)
Old 10-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #28
pennyracer
boydstir

i just ordered 84sq ft of dynapad and dynaliner for more sound proofing soon as this project is done i will post a pic or two had to do as much sound proofing as i can 4 tens going to be put in a sub floor like i have built now with only 2 tens i will put my car on a truck scale when this is done to see the total weight i dont recall if the yaris liftback is 2150 stock anyone have true numbers let me know i chose to line the panels them self's for more affect if thats possible

Last edited by pennyracer; 10-10-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #29
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
i just ordered 84sq ft of dynapad and dynaliner for more sound proofing soon as this project is done i will post a pic or two had to do as much sound proofing as i can 4 tens going to be put in a sub floor like i have built now with only 2 tens i will put my car on a truck scale when this is done to see the total weight i dont recall if the yaris liftback is 2150 stock anyone have true numbers let me know i chose to line the panels them self's for more affect if thats possible
I used 100 sq ft of FatMat in my red one (when I was swapping out the rear seat I figured it was the perfect time to do some sound proofing). I did the entire floor from front to back, the sides up the headliner and the hatch and doors.

I realized afterwards though that I need 20 ft or so more and need to do all the way up the firewall. I went as far as I could reach, but I found that I still get way too much noise from the engine bay. I think a layer of MLV on top of the fatmat would be the key for the firewall.