Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2008, 03:11 AM   #1
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
To go S or not on the 2 door

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered. Im new to yaris scene, im looking to getting my Taco bought by Toyota for their warranty frame rust problem so im thinking of going with the cheapest toyota. Yay for Yaris.

Looking at the difference in S and non, there's really nothing. I like the rear spoiler...uhh guess im a noob. (This would be my first new car) Would the S be even worth the extra ~2,000 price tag? I really dont see much different that i cant be added onto the base.

Any help for me to decide would be great. Thanks.
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:16 AM   #2
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
I have an 08 S and everytime I sit in a non S model and see pics of the inside of a non S model or hear people bitching about the things that they missed out on by not getting an S I sit back and think that im really glad I got an S.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
It really comes down to what you want in the car , and weither you can personally fit to the car the mods you want, if youcan cool if you cann't then buy it as you want it .
Thats my 2 cents worth.
and welcome to yarisworld.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
I do like the S seats better and there are some here who can not live without a tach....... it's your choice

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Jack Reacher

Drives: 08 Yaris sdn
I've had tons of new cars and from experience I can tell you most if not all the bells and whistles get old after a couple months. I have a base yaris with the extra air bags and power windows and I couldn't be happier.
Jack Reacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
My suggestion to you is to list down ALL the accessory difference on the S and non-S and compare them to see if it worth the extra price difference.

Those steps helps me a lot before I purchase this first new car as well.

If you are only interested in exterior stuff come with S, you can always add it on later.

If you love the interior of the S and those power option, I would suggest just go for S model.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
CKaelin

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
im looking to getting my Taco bought by Toyota for their warranty frame rust problem so im thinking of going with the cheapest toyota

Are they buying it back? I got $9,000 for my 1997 Tacoma with 230,000 miles on it.

Bought an 08 5 speed Yaris Comfort and Convience package. Car cost me $3,500 after all was said and done. =)

My other ride's a Gixxer!
CKaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #8
ezhacker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKaelin View Post
Are they buying it back? I got $9,000 for my 1997 Tacoma with 230,000 miles on it.

Bought an 08 5 speed Yaris Comfort and Convience package. Car cost me $3,500 after all was said and done. =)
well it looks like ill have a good chance, got some looking back rust under there. only got 94884 miles on my basic '98. with the whole toyota buyback pricing, i could get ~7,500. When did toyota buy yours back?

I guess im leaning over to the non S, i already have an external tach from my taco that would find a Yaris to be a good home.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
You should make this decision yourself based on why you are buying a Yaris and what you "want" and what you "need".

We bought the Yaris to save money and therefore only got exactly what we needed and not everything we wanted.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:20 AM   #10
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Its true what voodoo says.. But obviously dont get the sport for a few basic things such as tach and power.. You said so urself, u put on any tach there.. The Exterior stuff you can get for cheaper than the S.. The interior is the only difference i would say.. But in reality it doesn't matter. If you are really gonna mod this "econobox" then you'll probaly change everything eventually anyways =p

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #11
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbauer View Post
I have an 08 S and everytime I sit in a non S model and see pics of the inside of a non S model or hear people bitching about the things that they missed out on by not getting an S I sit back and think that im really glad I got an S.
+1

The Addons are mostly to the interior of the car. Here is a list of differences off the top of my head:

Seats - different, more aggressive bolstering and materials. Also, arguably, more comfortable than the regular seats

Gauge cluster lighting is amber in color - This might be standard on all the 09s now, I'm not too sure.

Tachometer - not a requirement to drive, but it's nice to have. And an aftermarket tach will never look as clean and seamless as an oem tach.

Headliner/interior fabrics - slightly different material and Black color

Leather wrapped steering wheel (which many members here are spending up to $200 to switch out to)

Leather shift knob

AFAIK the 60/40 split rear seats come standard on the S model.

S exterior lip kit (saves on buying a kit later, and there really aren't many S lbs on the road, so the factory kit still looks pretty unique imo).

So now you only have one question to answer: Are these things worth the extra money to you?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #12
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
remember.....its an economy car, not a high end lexus or acura
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:55 PM   #13
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
remember.....its an economy car, not a high end lexus or acura
but buying the S will bring you a step closer to the comfort of that luxury car
Old 11-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #14
ezhacker1

well i actually i havent been in a Yaris, so that'll definitely help me choose, but non S is good enough for me. adding 2k for the S class, doesnt seem fair when Corolla S is just 1k more than normal...least give alloy wheels with the yaris S.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #15
JnC

Drives: 00 VW Golf TDI
I've yet to find a 2009 Liftback S anywhere online with a manual transmission.
JnC is offline   Reply With Quote