Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
Midi_Amp

Drives: 2003 Fit
Ready to close the deal, but have 2 questions

Hi all, I currently drive a 2003 JDM Honda Fit and currently I'm planning to get a 2007 Yaris 5-door hatch. I live in SE Asia, Indonesia to be exact, and I have 2 question regarding Yaris.

The fuel quality in my country is questionable at best, it is stated that the lowest quality fuel has a RON of 87, unleaded, with subsequent higher grade are 92 and 94. According to the US Yaris spec, 1NZ-FE is designed to run on 87 unleaded or higher fuel, however, here in Indonesia, 1NZ-FE is a 3 year old engine used on Vios model. Currently, all of the aged Vios exhibit the quality of a damaged engine such as rough idle, rampant knocking, and sluggish acceleration. Well, most likely is that the owner filled the tank with the cheap 87 grade fuel. I read on the technical spec that the 1NZ-FE has 10.5:1 compression ratio, so doesn't that mean it has high CR that actually it needs a higher octane fuel?

This leads to my first question, is the 1NZ-FE versatile enough to be filled with a low quality fuel? Is there a refinement effort from Toyota over the years regarding the engine? I can fill it up with the 92 grade fuel, but is there any improvement on using higher grade fuel on the 1NZ-FE?

My second question is regarding the foot rest on RHD Yaris model. I test sit a Yaris a week ago, the seating position is okay, but somehow, there's this thing sticking out of the floor that obstructs my left foot from having a comfortable position. I don't know if that's a foot rest, as it's not wide enough but it restricts my leg that I have to bend my knee because of it. Is that a foot rest or can be removed? (like the big foot mod)

Thanks in advance.
Midi_Amp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Do you guys have the steering wheel on the right or the left?
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:03 AM   #3
Midi_Amp

Right, isn't that RHD = Right Hand Drive?
Old 10-22-2006, 01:16 AM   #4
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midi_Amp
Hi all, I currently drive a 2003 JDM Honda Fit and currently I'm planning to get a 2007 Yaris 5-door hatch. I live in SE Asia, Indonesia to be exact, and I have 2 question regarding Yaris.

The fuel quality in my country is questionable at best, it is stated that the lowest quality fuel has a RON of 87, unleaded, with subsequent higher grade are 92 and 94. According to the US Yaris spec, 1NZ-FE is designed to run on 87 unleaded or higher fuel, however, here in Indonesia, 1NZ-FE is a 3 year old engine used on Vios model. Currently, all of the aged Vios exhibit the quality of a damaged engine such as rough idle, rampant knocking, and sluggish acceleration. Well, most likely is that the owner filled the tank with the cheap 87 grade fuel. I read on the technical spec that the 1NZ-FE has 10.5:1 compression ratio, so doesn't that mean it has high CR that actually it needs a higher octane fuel?

This leads to my first question, is the 1NZ-FE versatile enough to be filled with a low quality fuel? Is there a refinement effort from Toyota over the years regarding the engine? I can fill it up with the 92 grade fuel, but is there any improvement on using higher grade fuel on the 1NZ-FE?

My second question is regarding the foot rest on RHD Yaris model. I test sit a Yaris a week ago, the seating position is okay, but somehow, there's this thing sticking out of the floor that obstructs my left foot from having a comfortable position. I don't know if that's a foot rest, as it's not wide enough but it restricts my leg that I have to bend my knee because of it. Is that a foot rest or can be removed? (like the big foot mod)

Thanks in advance.

The Yaris recomended fuel is 87, I think its a waste of money to put in a higher octane and its counter productive cause it defeats the point of a cheap or economical ride, right? 87 should be fine, look in the manual or ask a Toyota tech at a dealer. Since I live in the U.S. it might be different, as you mentioned your countries 87 is not quite up to par...so maybe you do have to go higher
That thing you rest your foot on is called a dead pedal, I guess its a foot rest. I'm sure there is some way to get rid of it.
Good luck!!
Old 10-22-2006, 01:51 AM   #5
Midi_Amp

Thanks for the input, how much is a gallon of regular gas in the states? In my country, the 92 grade fuel cost about Rp 5200 per liter or roughly $2.06 per gallon (US). From the info I look around the net, this means that my country's higher fuel grade is priced the same with the US regular fuel grade. So, does price reflects quality? For the dead pedal thingie, I will personally check it again, if it's like anything in the big foot mod, I can poke it and see if it's metal or something else.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
A lot of our gasoline price is due to taxes. I suspect yours is too so trying to infer quality from price is questionable.

I missed the meaning of RHD in your initial post. Most of us on this forum have left hand drive.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
fred812
Authorized User

Drives: 2007 5 spd Hatch White
There was a thread on here about the autobahn deadfoot pedal, someone did a DIY on covering it think it had pictures, another thread installed fiberglass down there to install speakers.Search for those threads in the do it yourself section. Im sure its removable. It is plastic. it cant be welded in there!! LOL
fred812 is offline   Reply With Quote