Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #91
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
" By the way did they teach you to spray windex and jam q-tips in the gasket at mechanics school? "

Never used Q-tips . Window cleaner cuts through engine oil , grime quite well . Try it , you may be amazed .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #92
Hershey

" i love u...... lol, that could not have been said any better "

Old 01-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #93
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
" By the way did they teach you to spray windex and jam q-tips in the gasket at mechanics school? "

Never used Q-tips . Window cleaner cuts through engine oil , grime quite well . Try it , you may be amazed .
I used brake parts cleaner spray with excellent results! Left that area bone dry...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #94
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
I used brake parts cleaner spray with excellent results! Left that area bone dry...
That works fine , didn't have any . Seen your video . So , what's the story ? Leak , no leak ?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #95
Hershey

" searching the forums that thousands of yaris owners have posted on, no yaris except ones you have touched have had a gasket leak? Amazing "

Have given plenty of proof . Take it or leave it .

" (oh TXyaris, my bad, I'm sure some random person just signed in to substantiate your claim, only to never be seen on the forum again.. rofl) "

Was posted yesterday . Hopefully not a prank .

" Somehow I think your claims would be slightly more believable if you weren't pimping the new hyundai on a yaris forum at the same time you're talking about these leaks. "

The new 2011 ELANTRA is good looking car , inside and out . Most likely we'll keep both YARIS .

EDIT: did toyota switch to a new head gasket for the yaris?? Don't you think if all these cars on lots you are checking all have leaks, SOMEONE would have noticed this is an issue over the decade+ the engine has been around???

Nope , hard to find , well hidden . Not all that noticeable .

Make all the accusations and wise cracks you want . Not goning to change a thing .
Old 01-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #96
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Seems to be ok, not wet.
I check it about every 2 weeks or so...
I DO believe you though!
I think all who are following this thread should check their cars and report back.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #97
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Seems to be ok, not wet.
I check it about every 2 weeks or so...
I DO believe you though!
I think all who are following this thread should check their cars and report back.
Thanks , hope yours is fine . Sure taking a lot of crap for this . Not going anywhere . Will keep posting .
Old 01-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #98
Hershey

We've been searching TOYOTA certified vehicles at TOYOTA website that gives you the history of the car . Including the repairs . No YARIS with head gasket replacement as of yet . Have found some with water pump replacement , electrical issues , and other problems / fixes . Probably won't find one with head gasket fix . A needle in the haystack .
Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #99
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
There are plenty of pictures of our 2008 and 2010 YARIS showing the extent of the leak and its location in the DO IT YOURSELF room .
To be honest I didn't believe you at first, so I read through the whole thread and decided to take a look tonight. only looked at it from the passengers side and from the top. I do see oil residue there, looks like it's still liquid and not dried and caked up as of yet. will try to get under the car and have a better look in the day light and if I see anything i'll post a pic or 2.

if this is leaking and it's the head gasket as you say (I haven't noticed a loss of power or any other problems with driving/accelerating) I'm at 126,789km - long gone from warranty, but I've done every scheduled maintenance that Toyota had in their owners manual. never missed any of them, always within 100km of the required service - nobody ever mentioned it to me, and i've never noticed a puddle or that my oil was low. any chance you think they'd cover it if it needs to be done? I'll keep following this thread and let you know if I find anything new.
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #100
Hershey

Never noticed any loss of power for either . The leak for both cars most likely started from the day they were driven off the lots . Yesterday I checked the 2010 with the fingertips and found the oil again gathered under the ledge as pictured . Haven't been able to get under the car to see the extent of it thanks to all the snow . The 2008 hasn't leaked any oil since the installation of the new head cylinder gasket , but it may be losing anti-freeze . The resorvoir seems to be getting lower . I marked the level of it with a black SHARPIE magic marker a few days after getting it back ( sat overnight ) and have been monitoring it closely . If it hits the LOW mark on the resorvoir then it's a indicator of a problem with the repair . The resorvoir for 2008 never lost coolant before the fix , just the external oil leak . The 2010 still leaks oil , but no loss of coolant . It has over 15,000 miles . Keep us informed .

Last edited by Hershey; 01-11-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #101
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Lot of laughs reading Hershey's 'The Sky is Falling' posts about supposed Yaris
head gasket issues.

FACTS: none
HEARSAY: plenty

I am not saying Hershey didn't have his/her own HG problems, but
going to dealerships and looking at oil stains and saying 'this or that car
has HG problems' is not only an incorrect way to diagnose HG issues, but
it makes Hershey look like a clown.

You will absolutely find an oil stain in 'the location' on MOST Yaris because
that happens to be the common spillover point when adding new oil.

You can never claim HG problem unless you have direct knowledge of the
state of the gasket. This means one of four things when trying to detect
HG issues.

1) you put UV dye into the oil, run it for 1000 miles, then detect UV dye
on the outside of the motor

2) you test for gasses in the coolant

3) you test for coolant in the oil

4) you tear down the motor and observe the gasket interface

Now, Hershey, unless you are doing 1-4 above, not one of your posts about
head gasket leaks (except your own that were diagnosed by Toyota) have one
iota of merit.

Please stop posting about terrible things when you really have no facts.

This is my first and last post.
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #102
Hershey

Quite aware of head gasket problem and detection . I always check to make sure oil wasn't spilled during an oil change . Don't care what the sales people and / or service staff think as well . Will not stop posting on this matter . If you don't like it then leave it . Hopefully TOYOTA will have to come forward with this and have recalls . That way we could say " Told you so " . For your and others sake I hope not .
Old 01-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #103
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
At dingo, but Hershey did say he cleaned off the area and rechecked a couple of weeks later. I don't think he changed or added any oil to his car. Just saying.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #104
YarisDude

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Checked my 07 HB. It looks OK. Just dirty but no oil residue. I will keep an eye on it as if it leaks oil, there is a possibility of coolant finding its way in the the crank case or the cylinder. I have only 38K miles on the clock so the problem may forth coming.

Are there any statistics as to the frequency of this issue. Certainly Toyota is tracking this through repair records as this engine is used in many models across lots of years.

Thanks for the info.
YarisDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #105
TXyaris

Drives: Currently stock '09 Sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow.yaris View Post
wow a head gasket leak that doesn't get ANY worse over 12,000 miles? amazing

all the people running turbos and superchargers on stock gasket have no leaks? amazing

searching the forums that thousands of yaris owners have posted on, no yaris except ones you have touched have had a gasket leak? amazing

(oh TXyaris, my bad, I'm sure some random person just signed in to substantiate your claim, only to never be seen on the forum again.. rofl)

Somehow I think your claims would be slightly more believable if you weren't pimping the new hyundai on a yaris forum at the same time you're talking about these leaks.

By the way did they teach you to spray windex and jam q-tips in the gasket at mechanics school?

EDIT: did toyota switch to a new head gasket for the yaris?? Don't you think if all these cars on lots you are checking all have leaks, SOMEONE would have noticed this is an issue over the decade+ the engine has been around???
yeah well im new to Yarisworld and i really dont care if you think im Hershey.When I purchased my 09 yaris sedan the carfax said that the dealership had replaced the head gasket. Now i have no proof that it was because of an oil leak but I wouldn't doubt it with all the evidence... if you dont think so then thats nice... its not like he's fear mongering he's just trying to inform others. I appreciate it.
TXyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #106
Hershey

" Checked my 07 HB. It looks OK. Just dirty but no oil residue. "

You may want to clean away the oil / dirt and check for fresh oil a week or so later . Hopefully your car is fine . Did find an '07 with the residue . This is how I found our friends 2010 with the black residue ( road dust mixed w/oil ) at 30,000+ miles . Cleaned it thoroughly and found fresh oil about a week later . Last time I checked was over a month ago and ended up with plenty of oil on my fingertips . He puts on about 1,000 mis. a week for his business . Looked at our 2010 few days ago and that is leaking fresh oil at 14,900 plus miles .

" Thanks for the info. "

Welcome .

Last edited by Hershey; 01-15-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #107
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
lol this thread is a mess.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #108
Hershey

Earlier today I put the 2010 YARIS 3 door on ramps to see if oil had gathered on the back of the engine and this is what I found ( circled in BLUE ) . Not all of the oil leaking from the #1 cylinder of the head cylinder gasket can be seen since it's fairly fresh ( clear , so doesn't show in pic ) from the oil change I did in NOVEMBER ( pic of miles on oil , Trip B : 2,764.3 mis. ) . There could have been more oil in the area pictured , but have cleaned it up a few times in between O.C. and now . No , I did not spill any oil while pouring it in . Use a funnel and pour it in very slowly . The car now has 15,034 miles ( pictured ) . Looks quite similar to the pic I previously posted awhile ago . Will let it go until oil change is due and see how much more collects . Then post pics of that .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0586.jpg (141.6 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0599.jpg (73.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0598.jpg (73.8 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by Hershey; 01-18-2011 at 12:25 AM.