Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Custom Intake

Well after the obstacles chino ran into, I decided to give it a shot myself. A little custom work, and I was able to to get a SRI installed with no cel codes thrown. Right now its very generic and installed, but I will be working on cleaning it up, changing coupler colors and hose colors.

There is definately a noticable change in sound, mean as shit is how I put it HA! Performance wise I noticed a very small amount at mid and high RPM.

If there is enough desire, I could definately get some of these kits together for anyone who wanted one. Its not gonna be so much involved like chinocharles was, I dont have enough time. But I could definately fab them up if anyone wanted to.

heres some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake.jpg (109.7 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg intake2.jpg (69.3 KB, 337 views)
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Nice job. What is your MAF sensor mounted in? In case you didn't know, it needs to be mounted so the actual sensor is exactly in the center of the pipe.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
RShatchback

Drives: 07 yaris liftback
damn - clean and gets the job done..
RShatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
sboy
Yaris Sedan 2007

Drives: toyota yaris sedan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Nice job. What is your MAF sensor mounted in? In case you didn't know, it needs to be mounted so the actual sensor is exactly in the center of the pipe.
yeah, i'd like to see the MAF sensor too.
sboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
mandriu
11b1p

Drives: yaris s
looks like maf sensor on bottom.
mandriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:03 PM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Dang Chino's got compitition... but I want to your MAF adapter plate before I call you real compitition
Old 06-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #7
07typeS

Its a little off center, can you explain why it needs to be mounted dead center of the pipe? What about CAI's where the piping is longer and you cant get the sensor more centrally located? Do you mean it should be located a little closer to to the throttle body?

Like I said I am not 100% done with it, I wont say I am until I am completely happy with it.

the maf adapter plate lines up perfectly and fits great.

I want to try some more trial and error on the silicone hose, im thinkin a 45 degree angled piece would work better...

when im done I will get pictures together and probably write up a how to piece it together yourself and also offer others who dont have the skills/tools/time to pull it off themselves...

feel free to ask questions guys
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
Old 06-16-2007, 11:41 PM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

I think your placement of the MAF in referance to the throttle body is correct.
what material is it made out of?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:48 PM   #9
07typeS

the maf adapter? aluminum....same as the piping.....
Old 06-17-2007, 01:56 AM   #10
fu_im_from_texas

Drives: Liftback
Send a message via AIM to fu_im_from_texas
Exclamation velocity profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07typeS View Post
Its a little off center, can you explain why it needs to be mounted dead center of the pipe? ...
The velocity of air passing through the intake does not flow at a uniform speed. At the edges of the pipe the velocity of the air is 0 (theoretically), as shown in the figure below. For more info, do a google search on "no slip boundry condition" or "velocity profile."

The MAFsenser is calibrated for the velocity of the air at the center of the pipe...

pm me if your interested in suggestions to maximize air flow...i have studied the topic extensively...
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (52.5 KB, 307 views)

Last edited by fu_im_from_texas; 06-17-2007 at 02:24 AM.
fu_im_from_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:01 AM   #11
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07typeS View Post
the maf adapter? aluminum....same as the piping.....
where did you get the MAF adapter and/or the pipe with the adapter already attached?
Old 06-17-2007, 02:11 AM   #12
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by fu_im_from_texas View Post
The velocity of air passing through the intake does not flow at a uniform speed. At the edges of the pipe the velocity of the air is 0 (theoretically), as shown in the figure below. For more info, do a google search on "no slip boundry condition" or "velocity profile."

The MAFsenser is calibrated for the velicity of the air at the center of the pipe...

pm me if your interested in suggestions to maximize air flow...i have studied the topic extensively...
Playin' with the big brains now... time for bed!!
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:23 AM   #13
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
The MAFsenser is calibrated for the velicity of the air at the center of the pipe...
Soooo....you're saying if off center the maf doesn't sense as much velocity and would send less fuel, causing a lean condition?
Old 06-17-2007, 02:32 AM   #14
fu_im_from_texas

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Soooo....you're saying if off center the maf doesn't sense as much velocity and would send less fuel, causing a lean condition?
i think the maf wont see as much air, the computer will see that the airflow falls outside the acceptable tollerence, and a code will be thrown...

just a guess though...depends on too many conditions to make a blanket statement...i think a lean condition would be worst case...
Old 06-17-2007, 02:54 AM   #15
fu_im_from_texas

Exclamation clarification

Quote:

The MAFsenser is calibrated for the velocity of the air at the center of the pipe...
Clarification: Center measured along the diameter, not the length ... clear as mud, right?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:27 AM   #16
07typeS

I get you texas, the piping is the same size as the original accordian tubing. the maf adapter plate doesnt look like its any thicker than the stock mount, but then again I eyeballed it. So I will pull the pipe off and check it again.

I was driving on the freeway and either the svs or cel light came on, i tried to check it with my code reader but nothing came up. I unhooked the battery lastnight for 10-15 minutes to see if this would clear it up, we will see.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
For future reference, it will be about 50 miles before your ECU throws a CEL due to anything airflow related. Therefore, to properly test a setup you have to clear the code (disconnect the battery) and drive 50-80 miles before you can say for sure it throws no codes. At any rate, way to be proactive and give it a shot. Good luck!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:07 PM   #18
mandriu
11b1p

Drives: yaris s
fuimfromtexas

the stock maf sensor is at the mouth of the airbox. I think reynold's number would not be significant in a 2.5"ID tube. Laminar and turbulant flow are calculated for use in fluid mechanics. but as an example the chart you have show a coefficient of friction of .04 or four-hundredths. Air probably produces less friction or drag at such low velocities.
mandriu is offline   Reply With Quote