Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Yaris 1.0L, 1.3L, or Diesel

I remember the old Geo Metros with the 1.0L 3cyl. engines, and what kind of gas mileage they got. I know Yaris makes these vehicles in other markets around the world, and my question is why won't they offer them here? It's insane, considering gas prices will only get worse. Given the choice, I'd always invariably choose the smaller engine. And if I had been given the choice, I'd choose the 1.0L Yaris or diesel Yaris. I think it sucks that we are denied the choice given to everyone else around the globe.....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
corventure

Drives: 2010 3 door hatch back
I just picked up a 2010 3 door hatch back with automatic. First two tank fulls worked out to 35 mpg. I have a 4 year lease and look forward to the Diesel Yaris coming to the states someday. But in reality it may never happen, as the government has subsidized the corn to alcohol for a gas additive lobbyists to so many zillions of dollars... a diesel would not be using this corn money!!! So I'm sure diesels will be kept out. Too bad... I was looking forward to eating more french fries to fuel it! Ha
corventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Hi corventure,
Wish I was getting 35mpg with my 2010 3 door hatch automatic. I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong. I'm averaging 30mpg, albeit it's been very cold recently here in Cincinnati. I'm hoping to get better mpg when it gets warmer. If I don't, I'll be very upset.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
The 1-litre is sold here, got one myself. When it was introduced, the 1-litre was available in two equipment levels- the lowest (Linea Terra) and the middle (Linea Sol, which I've got). The highest, Liena Sol Plus was reserved for the 1,3 gasoline and 1,4 diesel engines (the TS is considered a special model in its own right).

In about 2 years of its introduction, the middle spec was pulled from the options for the 1-litre- so only the basic spec remained. The same logic applies to the Auris as well, where the smallest engine of the range, the same 1,33 used in the Yaris and iQ, can only be had with the lowest Linea Terra spec. Sure, you can order some of the bits and pieces which are included in the Linea Sol equipment and thus build the car with most of the kit you desire, but such optional equipment will cost you lots more when compared to the factory-option higher equipment levels. For example, the simple addition of the A/C (not standard on the Linea Terra but found on Linea Sol models) will make up for most of the price difference between the two levels.

These small engines are obviously there to keep the CO2 count for the Toyota model line-up low and to offer an option for the environment-friendly customer. I can also see the marketing logic behind it (in order to maintain sales of the later-introduced Aygo and iQ both sporting the same 1-litre engine). But what's the use of that when you can't get a frugal engine with a decent level of equipment? The only car with the 1-litre engine and plenty of kit is the iQ but that's hardly a competitor to the Yaris in terms of interior space...

tl;dr?
The smallest engines are only offered with the lowest-spec equipment level. So effectively, a frugal Toyota with reasonable equipment is a costly job of ticking boxes on the options list, ending up costing more than a similarly (factory-)specced same model with a larger engine.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluYrs View Post
The 1-litre is sold here, got one myself. When it was introduced, the 1-litre was available in two equipment levels- the lowest (Linea Terra) and the middle (Linea Sol, which I've got). The highest, Liena Sol Plus was reserved for the 1,3 gasoline and 1,4 diesel engines (the TS is considered a special model in its own right).

In about 2 years of its introduction, the middle spec was pulled from the options for the 1-litre- so only the basic spec remained. The same logic applies to the Auris as well, where the smallest engine of the range, the same 1,33 used in the Yaris and iQ, can only be had with the lowest Linea Terra spec. Sure, you can order some of the bits and pieces which are included in the Linea Sol equipment and thus build the car with most of the kit you desire, but such optional equipment will cost you lots more when compared to the factory-option higher equipment levels. For example, the simple addition of the A/C (not standard on the Linea Terra but found on Linea Sol models) will make up for most of the price difference between the two levels.

These small engines are obviously there to keep the CO2 count for the Toyota model line-up low and to offer an option for the environment-friendly customer. I can also see the marketing logic behind it (in order to maintain sales of the later-introduced Aygo and iQ both sporting the same 1-litre engine). But what's the use of that when you can't get a frugal engine with a decent level of equipment? The only car with the 1-litre engine and plenty of kit is the iQ but that's hardly a competitor to the Yaris in terms of interior space...

tl;dr?
The smallest engines are only offered with the lowest-spec equipment level. So effectively, a frugal Toyota with reasonable equipment is a costly job of ticking boxes on the options list, ending up costing more than a similarly (factory-)specced same model with a larger engine.
what's your average mpg with the 1 liter engine?
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:30 AM   #6
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
what's your average mpg with the 1 liter engine?
Check out the sig. Mind you, these are 90% constant stop-start trips of less than 3 miles, when the engine barely warms up. Highway mileage is over 42 US MPG.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
kenora

Drives: 2009 Yaris LE 5 dr
wow that's discouraging, I am able to get 55 mpg(imperial) on the highway easily (100 k/hr) and 40 mpg city with my 1.5 2009 Yaris hb. I thought the 1.0 would be into the 70 mpg zone!
kenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
746watts

Drives: 2014 yaris hybrid
Pity you folks can't get the diesel, 90bhp and a genuine 63mpg. 0-60mph in 10.7secs so it's not bad at that either.
I wish I had your fuel prices though......... here diesel is now 1.43 euro per litre (roughly 8.49 dollars/USgal in your money), petrol is 1.52 euro per litre (9.03 dollars/USgal)
746watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
746watts

Drives: 2014 yaris hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenora View Post
wow that's discouraging, I am able to get 55 mpg(imperial) on the highway easily (100 k/hr) and 40 mpg city with my 1.5 2009 Yaris hb. I thought the 1.0 would be into the 70 mpg zone!
1.0L manual here do 55mpg on average, one of the best economy petrol cars available. 68bhp 0-60 in about 15 secs.
746watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
sickaroll

Drives: 2001 Yaris 1.0
Our 2001 1.0L has averaged 7.1L/100km (40 mpg UK/33 mpg US) over the last year, mostly urban but once monthly 550Km round trips, thought this was way off, but fuelly.com users report values around this too.

+1 on fuel prices though, we hunted around last weekend to get anything lower than €1.49 per litre for petrol. Doing 500km round trip to Cork next Tuesday, I'll be sure to shop around in advance.
sickaroll is offline   Reply With Quote