Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #37
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
vehicle stability control ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MPG View Post
I can't believe someone is comparing the build quality and design of a Suzuki swift to a yaris, at least not unless your laughing at how terrible the swift is. Its a SUZUKI pete's sake.

And stability control? What do you need stability control for on a 2300 pound econobox for? You can pick up a yaris in the $11,500-$15000 range for a reason. Not to mention that I have yet to ride in a car with "stability control" that would actually help out on snow/ice etc.... its built to prevent you from over driving the car around a corner in a performance situation. The thing to do with a yaris is avoid anything to do with "performance situations" in the first place... its an econobox.
only adds $250 to the price . If all vehicles had V.S.C. it would be less expensive . The Liftback is light in the rear as well , so could help in those hair raising moments .
Old 12-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #38
gid

the brake assist could be hazardous when descending a hill during snow and ice . I've noticed if you hit the brake pedal to firm / sudden it'll give a good jolt that may put the car into a loss of control . Especially if your not an good / nervous driver in poor weather . This applies to the '08 automatic sedan we own . The tranny kicks down to 3rd gear ( sometimes abrupt )when brakes are applied on a descent .
Old 12-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #39
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Oh, quite a few... I'd estimate about four round-trips of 100 or more miles on the interestate at around 70 mph each... Poor engine...

Oh well at least it will be well and truely run in , if only in three gears .
Old 12-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #40
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
In all seriousness though.....this should have been something that you took to the grave with you. I am not so sure that you could/will ever live this down. I mean driving around for weeks in D3. I could see maybe a day or two....but weeks???? One word comes to mind -- CLUELESS.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #41
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
The gearshift design sucks... That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...
Old 12-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #42
gid

geesh people . Lighten up a bit . 'Tis the season to be ... .
Old 12-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #43
gid

+ 1 ...

Quote:
and is hard to see on display .
Old 12-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #44
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
the brake assist could be hazardous when descending a hill during snow and ice . I've noticed if you hit the brake pedal to firm / sudden it'll give a good jolt that may put the car into a loss of control . Especially if your not an good / nervous driver in poor weather . This applies to the '08 automatic sedan we own . The tranny kicks down to 3rd gear ( sometimes abrupt )when brakes are applied on a descent .
I would agree with you some what , but it is also a life saver .
$ weeks ago while on a 3000km road trip, it help save my bacon ,
a car in front of us skided on a oil patch ,spun out hit a on coming car .
Which crossed over behind us hitting the car behind .
Mean while i was hard on the brakes , and the car did nothing but stop in a straight line .With out any problems apart from hoping no one would hit us .
A total of 6 car s crashed only 3 had abs and 1 of those had vsc, and he was hit by a on coming car swerving to miss every thing.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #45
Appalachian Trail 2007

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I've got a stick shift so I'd like to see a picture of this "accused" gearshift design.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #46
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Trail 2007 View Post
I've got a stick shift so I'd like to see a picture of this "accused" gearshift design.
This is the best picture I found on google:

Old 12-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #47
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Sure, and the tens of thousands of other Yaris drivers who figured it are just that much smarter than you are!

Y'know, if you hadn't moaned all about the Yaris you probably wouldn't be getting so much flak for this; but you were so critical of your Yaris--and actually claimed the Suzuki Swift was a better vehicle --where it turns out you were to blame.

And now you are claiming it is a design fault!

Sorry, but what sucks is your ability to accomplish simple tasks such as driving an automatic (c'mon, it's about as hard as driving a golf cart) or reading the owners manual (takes all of about ten minutes to accomplish for your average adult, so you should be able to comprehend it in an hour or two).

I don't mind people who realize their limitations and ask for help, but to blame the shifter design only further demonstrates your ignorance. I am glad I don't live anywhere near Frankfort, Kentucky as the mere thought of you operating a motor vehicle on public highways scares me more than brake failure and/or teenagers!
Old 12-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #48
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by lita_g View Post

Yeah, I could see how that is confusing!

Dear God, how did you ever manage to drive a stick?!?
Old 12-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #49
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Sorry, but what sucks is your ability to accomplish simple tasks such as driving an automatic (c'mon, it's about as hard as driving a golf cart) ...
Sorry...but this had me laughing pretty hard. Most of all because...well, it's true.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #50
gid

it's easy to knock the shifting lever from OVERDRIVE to 3rd gear . If you look at the picture you'll see a oval shaped indicator . The lever can be pushed from right ( O.D. ) to left ( DRIVE , 3rd ) with litte force . This is an electric contact to the computer telling it which gear you've selected . If you have kids , pets , or are fiddling around it's not that difficult for it to be bumped into 3rd gear . This could be dangerous if pet(s) , kids , or other are not paying attention or goofing around .
Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #51
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
wtf. I could have sworn i made a comment on this thread but cant find it, haha.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:36 PM   #52
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
what anyone who hasnt used the auto shifter doesnt know is that D and 3 are the same position except that 3 is a slight tap of the shifter to the left of D. Anyone who isn't used to it could easily make the mistake by simply applying some pressure to the shfter as they are moving it to D... also as others have confirmed an accidental tap of the shifter to the left will put it into 3

I also love how some people believe because they drive a shift they are brain surgeons...
Old 12-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #53
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
it's easy to knock the shifting lever from OVERDRIVE to 3rd gear . If you look at the picture you'll see a oval shaped indicator . The lever can be pushed from right ( O.D. ) to left ( DRIVE , 3rd ) with litte force . This is an electric contact to the computer telling it which gear you've selected . If you have kids , pets , or are fiddling around it's not that difficult for it to be bumped into 3rd gear . This could be dangerous if pet(s) , kids , or other are not paying attention or goofing around .
If you have that many distractions going on then you shouldn't be piloting a vehicle down public roads in the first place!

Even without a tach, anyone with half a brain can tell when the engine is revving much higher in third gear than in drive.

Quit making excuses, the Yaris automatic transmission shifter is not a faulty design; the fault lies in people who can't be bothered to 1) read the owners manual or 2) pay even the simplest attention when driving. Turn down the radio, put the cell phone away, tell the kids to shut up and leave the dog at home. And eat the fast food at the fast food joint, not while you are hurdling down the road in a several thousand pound vehicle.

And I love how people who drive automatics think they only have to get in and smash down one pedal or the other! Automatics only mean the transmission shifts by itself, they don't mean you can put your brain in autopilot and mentally wander off to la-la land. Or in other words, they are not idiot-proof! You still have to drive the car and one of those responsibilities includes paying attention to what is going on with your vehicle, to include knowing what friggin' gear it is in; even with an automatic!!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #54
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lita_g View Post

It's like the scary maze game on the Internet. If you are able to move the shift lever all the way to the bottom, Linda Blair screams at you through your stereo.
Closed Thread