Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #19
50MPGDream

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 93 Camaro
4 MPG, where are you in MO? if you are near the St. Louis region I would go for a ride with you and give you some pointers if you would like. I am not the best out there by any means, but I have averaged 42.7 in an automatic for the lifetime of the car (1.5 years, almost 22,000 miles)

oh, and with recent drops in gasoline prices, the E10 mandate could go by the wayside. MO state law only mandates the E10 blend when ethanol is cheaper than gasoline. this is no longer the case, I have not heard of any changes, but it could happen. (however if you live in the St. Louis metro, this won't help because we have required E10 for years to keep the air clean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
And lastly, I do understand that I'm in SoCal with great weather, but 1/3 of my commute is early morning with temps at 50-60 degrees.
you'd probably be shocked at how much less MPG you get when the temp drops to below freezing
Old 12-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #20
4MPG

Drives: black 5spd hatch yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MPGDream View Post
4 MPG, where are you in MO? if you are near the St. Louis region I would go for a ride with you and give you some pointers if you would like. I am not the best out there by any means, but I have averaged 42.7 in an automatic for the lifetime of the car (1.5 years, almost 22,000 miles)

oh, and with recent drops in gasoline prices, the E10 mandate could go by the wayside. MO state law only mandates the E10 blend when ethanol is cheaper than gasoline. this is no longer the case, I have not heard of any changes, but it could happen. (however if you live in the St. Louis metro, this won't help because we have required E10 for years to keep the air clean)

you'd probably be shocked at how much less MPG you get when the temp drops to below freezing
Im in columbia, mo. What speed do you average on the highway?

I just filled up (3.x gallons lol) of all city driving and I got 35.5x MPG... so I am acutally getting better MPG with all city driving than with city/highway mix.
4MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #21
Bullet120

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MPG View Post
Your running 55 MPH on I-70? During daylight, busy times?

Pure suicide. The semi's alone are doing 70+, and nobody gets over till the last second. If your doing this on a daily basis IMO its only a matter of time until you are either involved in a wreck or cause one between other drivers.

There (other drivers) just stupid... your still getting passed at even 70 MPH, let alone 55.

I used to live in KC, is that the 435 your talking about? 55 MPH on that road??? shudder.

Edit: My car is a 5 speed, so I am in top gear. Also, are you filling up in missouri or kansas? I am not sure if KS has the 10 percent ethanol rule?

Your exaggerations are comical at best. Not sure how one going above minimum speed and below maximum speed limits could "cause" a crash. But I'm sure you'll convince yourself that you can find fault in there somewhere. Go ahead. I'd prefer to blame it on the inattentive speeding drivers who are 'just trying to keep up'.
Bullet120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #22
yarswiss
Albino truck smasher

Drives: '07 Yaris LB Auto
Dropping your speed and going light on the gas is about the best thing you can do at this point, as well as pumping up your tires and installing a grill block.

I used to complain about getting between 34-37mpg while driving at around 70-80mph, and only once I dropped down to 60mph did I notice a significant difference in my MPG.

If I can drive 50mph on the California 110, I-5 and 405 during rush hour, which are some of the fastest-moving, most congested and aggressive roads on the US, I am sure you could drop your speed down a notch. The whole point of driving "well" and economically is being aware of what is occurring around you. Pay attention to those behind you and you should be fine.
yarswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #23
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MPGDream View Post

lol..Yes, I totally believe you. Over here I've duct taped to the top grill and taken off the airbox snorkel.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #24
4MPG

Drives: black 5spd hatch yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet120 View Post
Your exaggerations are comical at best. Not sure how one going above minimum speed and below maximum speed limits could "cause" a crash. But I'm sure you'll convince yourself that you can find fault in there somewhere. Go ahead. I'd prefer to blame it on the inattentive speeding drivers who are 'just trying to keep up'.
We can argue back and forth, but you simply can't tell me people arn't swerving and blowing by you doing 55 MPH on 435. 70 is almost worse, since its only a 2 lane (each direction) road, where you can't use the far right lane to get out of the way. People seem to think the best method of passing is to fly up on you, swerve over, and cut off the semi thats already passing you on the left. regardless of who's fault it is, after getting smashed between a SUV and a semi I don't think your going to be in any shape to argue.

I think the next step for me is to try it around 65 MPH with the "pulse/glide" style method described in the stickys, and forget the cruise control. I can defiantly see how it would kill MPG after reading what loren was saying.

However, I did try it at 60 MPH for 3 days, and I only went up to 39.8x MPG. I would have expected more at 60 MPH using the DFCO/gliding methods? Or is the CC really killing it that bad.

Last edited by 4MPG; 12-13-2008 at 04:17 PM.
4MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #25
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Quote:
So you did notice a difference in MPG simply by buying gas in this state, or not?

I know for sure its not the same gas as all the other states, simply because every state has different (stupid) laws on mixes, ethanol, etc etc. The 10 percent ethanol alone has to account for at least a little bit, as it has alot lower BTU than standard gas.
I just noticed it when I was in/around KC. While I was there I actually did a road trip to Cedar Point (who loves roller coasters? this guy! ) and between KC and St. Loui I got 43.something. I was amazed. I was also doing 60mph +/-5. Didn't feel like doing the mpg for the rest of the trip to Ohio, but I'm guessing the mileage you are getting is related to the way you drive. Acceleration, speed, etc.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #26
briman

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris, automatic
Quote:
You are in denial. Cars are like schools of fish and when large gaggles of cars are moving at 80mph and your driving 65mph, often the case on I-70, then you become a driving hazard. Same is true on 435. I was just on it today. Tractor trailers blowing past and people barely missing your ass swerving into the lane. I try to keep to the flow. Kansas city is noted for its urban sprawl. St. Louis is worse.
briman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #27
Bullet120

Quote:
We can argue back and forth, but you simply can't tell me people arn't swerving and blowing by you doing 55 MPH on 435. 70 is almost worse, since its only a 2 lane (each direction) road, where you can't use the far right lane to get out of the way.
Come over to a real city where we have more than 2 lanes.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #28
briman

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris, automatic
Quote:
Come over to a real city where we have more than 2 lanes.
Aren't you both from the same place?
briman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #29
Bullet120

I thought so, but apparently he has an affinity to terrible drivers and getting run over.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #30
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by briman View Post
Aren't you both from the same place?
Hahahaha! Well, I for one am learning to love going slower... Although I do maintain the legal speed limit (70 on the interstate here), I go no faster and try to adhere to 60 or lower on other roads; am also getting in the habit of coasting when possible and shifting into neutral when stopped at lights. I expect great mileage readings now that I'm out of third gear... Stay tuned!

otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #31
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
Quote:
Im in columbia, mo. What speed do you average on the highway?

I just filled up (3.x gallons lol) of all city driving and I got 35.5x MPG... so I am acutally getting better MPG with all city driving than with city/highway mix.
Filling with such a small amount puts way too much importance on the consistency of the fill itself (ie, which way the car was parked - up or down angle, how sensitive the shut off was, any air in the filler/tank, temperature...etc.).
428CobraJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #32
smacky

Drives: 2008 Liftback AT
CC = Bad FE

Cruise Control is bad for fuel economy. With the CC going the engine, in my opinion, overreacts hills. You'll get much better FE if you just try to keep the gas pedal in the same position most of the time. This is made very easy with the scangauge.
For all those who are unhappy with the fuel economy of the Yaris, if you saw the last episode of Top Gear, on their track they managed to get 17 mpg out of a Prius. They came to the conclusion that it is all about the way you drive.