Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #19
YenOfIrrelevent
GreenRanger

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
You will be just fine as long as you leave the engine running while coasting in neutral.
Thank you Bailout. Yeah that's what I usually do, I switch it to neutral when I come close to a light and I always thought it's good because when you brake, it's not fighting against the engine when you are on D.
YenOfIrrelevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #20
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
You will be just fine as long as you leave the engine running while coasting in neutral.
you mean sitting at a stop not coasting right?

coasting from 50 or so to a light while shifting from drive to neutral affects gear mesh. essentially will strip clutch packs and teeth...
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #21
YenOfIrrelevent
GreenRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
you mean sitting at a stop not coasting right?

coasting from 50 or so to a light while shifting from drive to neutral affects gear mesh. essentially will strip clutch packs and teeth...
Hmmm I don't switch on 50. More like in the 20-35. Sometimes I caught myself close to the 40 mark. Is that still bad?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #22
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
I'm no trans expert. I'll wait for someone to answer your question with more knowledge....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #23
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
With DFCO, why are you shifting into neutral? There is no gas being delivered anyway...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #24
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YenOfIrrelevent View Post
Thank you Bailout. Yeah that's what I usually do, I switch it to neutral when I come close to a light and I always thought it's good because when you brake, it's not fighting against the engine when you are on D.
From what I've read and my own experience, it's best to coast in neutral when you aren't planning on slowing down and coasting in D will decelerate you too quickly. Like going down a hill or decline on the hwy.

You should stay in D and coast when coming to a stop so your engine is slowing you down and you can benefit from DFCO, where as long as the rpms are above 1200 or so, fuel to the engine is cut off and you're using no gas.

DFCO is best in all circumstances unless it greatly shortens the length of your coast. There's one spot I can coast in N for 3 kms some days, but in D I could only coast for 1/2 a km. In those cases I think it's best to coast in N for a long distance and use less fuel, than coast in D for a short distance and use no fuel.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #25
YenOfIrrelevent
GreenRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
From what I've read and my own experience, it's best to coast in neutral when you aren't planning on slowing down and coasting in D will decelerate you too quickly. Like going down a hill or decline on the hwy.

You should stay in D and coast when coming to a stop so your engine is slowing you down and you can benefit from DFCO, where as long as the rpms are above 1200 or so, fuel to the engine is cut off and you're using no gas.

DFCO is best in all circumstances unless it greatly shortens the length of your coast. There's one spot I can coast in N for 3 kms some days, but in D I could only coast for 1/2 a km. In those cases I think it's best to coast in N for a long distance and use less fuel, than coast in D for a short distance and use no fuel.

I read the DFCO thread, I don't quite understand how to do it. So I leave it in D and just release the gas pedal and let the engine automatically slow down on its own? I have an Automatic so I dunno. Sorry I'm new to cars.