Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
tried some pulse and glide last night

so i thought id try some pulse and glide stuff in the aveo last night on my way home from work.....there wasnt really anyone around at 5pm....go fig

i dont know about it though...its super annoying to keep speeding up and slowing down.....im not sure i could do it long term or for an extended period of time.

i did it in the city going from 60kph down to 50kph then back up....takes a lot of concentration!

just my thoughts though...
Old 12-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
and what are the results? i believe some hypermiling techniques are overkill and down right dangerous, just my 2 cents
+1!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
i believe some hypermiling techniques are overkill and down right dangerous, just my 2 cents
i agree

no results on economy change....just thought id give 'er a try because there was no traffic. basically i found it too annoying to use and if there WAS traffic is likely be pissing everyone behind me off as a speed up and slow down 10kph every so often...
Old 01-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

as a note on pulse and glide, i test drove an HHR today....has a built-in economy thingamajigger, and i could really see how the pulse and glide dropped the fuel useage when youre off the gas....vs the 8 or 9L/100km it was like 1L/100km off the gas

interesting stuff...

so i can kinda see doing it on a highway trip, but not so much in town...

would still be a lot of concentration on the highway though....and annoying to others in traffic (not that there is much highway traffic in the maritimes)
Old 01-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #5
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
and what are the results? i believe some hypermiling techniques are overkill and down right dangerous, just my 2 cents
I see things on the road every day that are far more dangerous than hypermiling. At least hypermiling forces you to pay attention to the road while just about everything else one can do in a car does the opposite.

Coming into a fuel economy forum and bashing hypermiling would be akin to me going into the cosmetic forum and going on about rice and stupidity, or going into the performance forum and going on about diminishing returns and stupidity, etc. I and those like me leave those forums alone and we expect the same courtesy here in the FE forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
as a note on pulse and glide, i test drove an HHR today....has a built-in economy thingamajigger, and i could really see how the pulse and glide dropped the fuel useage when youre off the gas....vs the 8 or 9L/100km it was like 1L/100km off the gas
I understand that P&G takes work, but going from 9 to 11L/km is a gain of over 20% FE! Over the course of a tank, or a month, or a year, that is huge savings, not only for your wallet but in emissions, too.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I see things on the road every day that are far more dangerous than hypermiling. At least hypermiling forces you to pay attention to the road while just about everything else one can do in a car does the opposite.

Coming into a fuel economy forum and bashing hypermiling would be akin to me going into the cosmetic forum and going on about rice and stupidity, or going into the performance forum and going on about diminishing returns and stupidity, etc. I and those like me leave those forums alone and we expect the same courtesy here in the FE forum.

I understand that P&G takes work, but going from 9 to 11L/km is a gain of over 20% FE! Over the course of a tank, or a month, or a year, that is huge savings, not only for your wallet but in emissions, too.
well, its was 9 to 1 L/100km - - so like 90% savings over regular flat ground driving

i was pretty amazed...

fredericton is quite hilly though going from downtown to uptown....so that 1L/100km going downhill is outweighed by the 34L/100km going up, lol

but i see how it can work for highway commuting...
Old 01-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Were you really pulse and gliding or were you just coasting? Pulse & Gliding involves turning the engine off, so you use 0 fuel while coasting, engine off. If you leave the engine on, but take your foot off the gas it's just coasting, but if you take your foot off the gas and put it in Neutral you're coasting N-ICE on.

At least that's my understanding of these techniques.

I think all of these techniques are dangerous if you use them in the wrong situation, but what isn't dangerous if you're doing it under the wrong set of circumstances and not paying attention? You should never do anything you're not comfortable with, but if I had a MT I would be using P&G when ever possible.

Also, most people who p&g seem to agree you need to go from about 60-45 mph to make it worthwhile. That's a much broader range than the 10 km/h you were able to do, but I can't think of many roads I drive where that kind of technique would be safe.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

ya, like i said there wasnt any traffic....and no, i didnt shut the engine off, im not comfortable with that....

it was interesting to see the mileage change on the HHR, thats all
Old 01-05-2009, 01:07 AM   #9
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Smile

For me most of those efforts didn't do enuff to make it worth the hassle. Now, I just keep my speed down on the freeway a bit and mind the led foot. All that other stuff was taking away from my driving pleasure and didn't amount to much. I still average about 38 mpg and that's just fine.
NJBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:20 AM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Don't think I'm experience enough to do this. hehe.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Just to add, it worked for me quite well when I cared to do it. And no, I never turned the engine off. I did tend to only vary about 10 mph or so, and i could average about 44 us mpg when i did it. But with gas prices the way they are now, I just don't care enough. And saying it saves the environment, well that just wants me to never do it again, eewww.