Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #37
tubacase

Drives: absolute red 5door
The Corrolla is just too big for my use - since I'm a traveling teacher I always get the hard to find spots! And the 5door yaris has that usefull hatch, gotta upgrade to the Matrix for the Corrolla equivilant, again too big. My little Yaris makes my Xb look like a gas hog!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #38
Dorkinheimer

Drives: Yaris 2007 *manual*
I really loved my 2007 Yaris. I change cars often, and would get another brand new one, but one thing bugged me,well lets say 4 things bugged me.

1) RPM too high with the manual at highway speeds
2) clutch friction point too precise and hard to start in a hill, so as the corolla, its a toyota charactristic, not Yaris's problem
3) Gas pedal way too close to the central part ( carpet ) and too close to the brake pedal, so when I wear boots in the winter, it's hard to drive.
4) I prefer seeing the speedometer right in front of me, instead of in the middle of the dash. Often I wondered if my lights were ON, because it was pitch black infront of me.
Dorkinheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #39
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
While the Corolla is an excellent choice, the Yaris shows more character and styling. Your car is an extension of your personality.
daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #40
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Another note that base corolla dosnt really exist. Well it does but you cant just walk into any dealer and ask for one. If they have one its only going to be one and not the color you want. Point being no one buys a corolla with no power windows locks etc. They are out there just very hard to find. Id rather just have a deck out yaris for the same price as a stripped down corolla
There is a dealer near me that is selling 2009 Corollas for 12999. They are manual, AC, and that is it. They order them and sell them for cheap to people who always wanted a Toyota, but can't afford them.
daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #41
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkinheimer View Post
On Toyota's site

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObje...2findex%2ehtml

Wait for page to load properly, then put your mouse over the sedan yaris and then the corolla. Less than 1000$ apart.

13,990 $ for the SEDAN yaris
14,835 $ for the Corolla

You get a bigger motor, bigger car, more comfort, more power, just about as good mileage per gallon, new model, and you get more when you eventually trade it in.

Don't get me wrong, I had a Yaris and liked it, but why not pay 845$ more for a Corolla
The Yaris Sedan's starting price in my area is $12,965. The Corolla is $15,350. Thats a difference of over $2300. So maybe thats why I didnt buy one.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #42
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
Because I havent come across CorollaWorld.com yet...

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #43
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
There is a dealer near me that is selling 2009 Corollas for 12999. They are manual, AC, and that is it. They order them and sell them for cheap to people who always wanted a Toyota, but can't afford them.
Maybe could just be your area. Most dealers wont do that because there is zero profit margin doing that. They make only a few hundred dollars if that much selling a base corolla.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #44
cfiimei

Drives: Sedan
Character.
cfiimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #45
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Even if a Corolla was cheaper - I'd still have bought the Yaris.

To steal a line from Jeep owners (of which I am one) 'It's a Yaris thing.'
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #46
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Send a message via AIM to dvlnblkdrs Send a message via Yahoo to dvlnblkdrs
having sex in a yaris is much easier than having sex in a corolla

dvlnblkdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #47
DefStarYaris

Drives: '08 Liftback and Mountain Bike
Send a message via AIM to DefStarYaris
When I got my Yaris I was pretty much deciding between it and a Corolla I liked. I chose the Yaris for both price and the fact that I see about 100 Corollas everyday to and from work. I'd prefer my car to stand out a little bit in the sea of boring sedans.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #48
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Another note that base corolla dosnt really exist. Well it does but you cant just walk into any dealer and ask for one. If they have one its only going to be one and not the color you want. Point being no one buys a corolla with no power windows locks etc. They are out there just very hard to find. Id rather just have a deck out yaris for the same price as a stripped down corolla
Exactly. It's like finding a real "base" Yaris (no radio, ect.). They almost don't exist.

Plus, model segments always run into each other. A loaded Corolla is as much as a low end Camry, and so on...
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #49
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzyamis View Post
Corolla in U.S. is built in U.S., while Yaris is still 100% built in Japan.
And..., "looks..matter" - marcus
the '09 Corollas we've test driven and looked at on dealer lots have said made in JAPAN . All of them . I sh*t you not . Not from CANADA or NUMMI plant in CALIFORNIA .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #50
gid

Quote:
I really loved my 2007 Yaris. I change cars often, and would get another brand new one, but one thing bugged me,well lets say 4 things bugged me.

1) RPM too high with the manual at highway speeds
2) clutch friction point too precise and hard to start in a hill, so as the corolla, its a toyota charactristic, not Yaris's problem
3) Gas pedal way too close to the central part ( carpet ) and too close to the brake pedal, so when I wear boots in the winter, it's hard to drive.
4) I prefer seeing the speedometer right in front of me, instead of in the middle of the dash. Often I wondered if my lights were ON, because it was pitch black infront of me.
the COROLLAs and VIBES I've driven had smoother , longer clutch engagement . The YARIS is very pinpoint , quicker . Still like it tho . Little fart grows on yeh like a wart on your butt cheek ( a BLAZING BLUE wart ) .

Last edited by gid; 01-26-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #51
gid

we could of had an base model '08 COROLLA with a 5 speed manual and the convenience package for around $500 more than the '08 5 speed base model YARIS L.B. with convenience package . Both were at same dealer . After test driving both preferred the YARIS for its looks ( nostalgia ) and had no rattles at that time like the COROLLA did ( test drive all new cars on poor back streets / roads for rattle test or other noises ) . The COROLLAs clutch engagement was much easier than the YARIS but wasn't enough to sway us it's way .
Old 01-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #52
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
On Toyota's site

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObje...2findex%2ehtml

Wait for page to load properly, then put your mouse over the sedan yaris and then the corolla. Less than 1000$ apart.

13,990 $ for the SEDAN yaris
14,835 $ for the Corolla

You get a bigger motor, bigger car, more comfort, more power, just about as good mileage per gallon, new model, and you get more when you eventually trade it in.

Don't get me wrong, I had a Yaris and liked it, but why not pay 845$ more for a Corolla
Because I didn't want to drive a car famous for being pokey and jamming up traffic. After ~35 years on Canadian roads I've learned the four cars to never get behind are...Corolla, Camry, Cadillac, Jaguar. The demographic who buy those models are typically ultra conservative, ultra cautious/paraniod types (I won't call them drivers) or just plain OLD. The newer Camry SE (for those who still have a pulse) thankfully being an exception.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #53
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
my reasoning? because a fresh off the assembly line corolla cost about $3,000-3,500 USD (not sure what model but they're all close probably) sooo you can tell me why you would want to pay another 8-10k for one.....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #54
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Even if a Corolla was cheaper - I'd still have bought the Yaris.

To steal a line from Jeep owners (of which I am one) 'It's a Yaris thing.'

I also own a Jeep, and it is the simplicity of the Wrangler that draws me to other vehicles that are of the same lack of complexity. I don't even have ABS on either vehicle, in the Jeep it is just something else to break offroad, and on the Yaris I would prefer to learn how to brake properly than to allow a machine to do it.

And before anyone starts an ABS debate, I am well aware of the benefits of the system. I just think an experienced and alert driver can do better.

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote