Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
MeepMeep

Drives: 2017 Yaris SE
Question The Plot Thickens

A few weeks back I posted how my 2017 Yaris SE had the new Toyota Safety Sense (TSS) features that never worked from day one. You must remember that my SE was special ordered with a 5-speed manual and took 9 months to get and the next model year to arrive as I actually ordered a 2016 but it took so long they sent me a 2017. In recent months, the local dealership could not figure out why the auto headlight feature does not activate the hi-beams. Not sure about anti-collision (don't want to test that). Toyota send sent two engineers from Japan and a guy from Texas to where I live (remote Wyoming). The Japanese guys couldn't speak a lick of English. They stayed up until 2am working on the car and could not figure out the issue with all the computers tapping into the system but believe it has something to do with the ECU not recognizing the manual transmission and suspecting the car always thinks its still in PARK. They said my car is the only 2017 manual SE they could find in the US .. wow. They went to Colorado to look at a automatic transmission SE to see how the code responds in comparison to my car. No progress there. Now they contacted my dealership saying they are off to Venezuela, South America as there is a 2017 SE with manual transmission there to study the issue. I knew my "unicorn" was rare but not that rare especially since the Yaris declares the auto transmission as the "option". It will be interesting to find out how Toyota is going to deal with this if it is a major flaw in adding the TSS and not working on manual transmission cars. Seems like Europe would have many manual transmission cars? Why aren't engineers from France directly involved in this? Am I in store for a "buy back" offer since it is a safety system that presents liability to Toyota? Stay tuned.
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote