Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #1
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Hyundai i30 N

This is probably my next car. Hyundai's first proper hot hatch turbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSrsSkVvm_g

Apparently there's going to be an awd version to take on the Golf R and Ford Focus RS..

Maybe i should wait for that one.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Too many major issues with their cars for my taste - like the current massive engine recall/investigation fiasco. Some of their models look nice though.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Yes, Hyundai/Kia exterior and interior design is indeed very nice, thanks to chief designer Peter Schreyer (former Audi/VW designer) who works with Luc Donckerwolke (former design director of Volkswagen Group - Bentley/Lamborghini/Audi).

But, if you read the Hyundai and Kia forums, you quickly learn that these cars are not Toyotas.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:59 PM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Yes, Hyundai/Kia exterior and interior design is indeed very nice, thanks to chief designer Peter Schreyer (former Audi/VW designer) who works with Luc Donckerwolke (former design director of Volkswagen Group - Bentley/Lamborghini/Audi).

But, if you read the Hyundai and Kia forums, you quickly learn that these cars are not Toyotas.
I had the same impression when I was reading through the iA forums. Lots of various quality/fitment issues for a new car, including transmission problems, etc. I'm guessing that Mazda has some growing-pain, quality-control issues in their new Mexican plant. The iM forums, on the other hand, were typical Toyota - no notable quality issues, just the usual 'Corolla' complaints of underpowered engines vs competition and such.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:02 AM   #5
junorico24

Well, I will be the guinea pig then. I am going to go for it. It will be out later this year. So when my Mrs gets her license she can have the KIA Sportage and I get to play with the Hyundai 130 N.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:15 AM   #6
junorico24

Quote:

Toyota is reliably boring though.I don't want to fall asleep when I am driving a car. The Yaris was fun but come on man. It got boring after awhile that's why I got rid of it and i don't miss it. Things might break on the Hyundai but at least i had some shits and giggles a long the way lol.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Toyota is reliably boring though.I don't want to fall asleep when I am driving a car. The Yaris was fun but come on man. It got boring after awhile that's why I got rid of it and i don't miss it. Things might break on the Hyundai but at least i had some shits and giggles a long the way lol.
This is the most fair point I've heard you make about buying a Hyundai or Kia. I can actually accept it lol. I've always said the newer Corollas are total yawn.

I can't accept the position of, "Hyundai and Kia have caught up to Honda and Toyota", because the numbers simply don't support it, but there are plenty of cars that break often that I'd love to own. None of them happen to be Hyundai or Kia models (Alfa comes to mind), but the point is the same.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
This is the most fair point I've heard you make about buying a Hyundai or Kia. I can actually accept it lol. I've always said the newer Corollas are total yawn.

I can't accept the position of, "Hyundai and Kia have caught up to Honda and Toyota", because the numbers simply don't support it, but there are plenty of cars that break often that I'd love to own. None of them happen to be Hyundai or Kia models (Alfa comes to mind), but the point is the same.

Hyundai and KIA are coming.This is just to show they can deliver performance cars not just economy cars you know what i'm sayin. Just another feather in their cap.

KIA Stinger and Hyundai I30 N are making their presence felt.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #9
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Y'know what's boring? Sitting around a dealership waiting for them to fix yet another problem on your car!

I'll stick with Toyota's boring reliability before I'd go for Hyundai's crap engineering. I don't think being broken down on the side of the road to be "exciting!"

If I wanted unreliable and exciting, I'd get an Alfa!
Old 05-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
While many cars appeal to me, I'd have to agree with MadMax... Toyota's boring reliability is most appealing in the end.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:25 PM   #11
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Y'know what's boring? Sitting around a dealership waiting for them to fix yet another problem on your car!

I'll stick with Toyota's boring reliability before I'd go for Hyundai's crap engineering. I don't think being broken down on the side of the road to be "exciting!"

If I wanted unreliable and exciting, I'd get an Alfa!
By that definition I previously owned a very exciting VW Golf TDI.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #12
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
While many cars appeal to me, I'd have to agree with MadMax... Toyota's boring reliability is most appealing in the end.
Agreed. Boredom is vastly underrated.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #13
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

Drives: 2006 Yaris 4 door 1.3l
A gazoo racing Hyundai i30 N finished in 51 place at Nürburgring 24h endurance race today. Which is pretty impressive considering that the engine and transmission wasn't changed from the factory car and it almost finished in the top 50 out of 160 cars that started and i think 125 cars that finished the 24h race.

https://livetiming.tracktime.info/wige#screen-results

Article about the car:
http://asiacruisenews.com/news/Virtu...gring-24-Hours

Last edited by DiCaprio; 05-28-2017 at 02:01 PM.
DiCaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #14
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

It also finished 4th in it's class (SP 3T)
Old 05-30-2017, 04:16 AM   #15
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCaprio View Post
A gazoo racing Hyundai i30 N finished in 51 place at Nürburgring 24h endurance race today. Which is pretty impressive considering that the engine and transmission wasn't changed from the factory car and it almost finished in the top 50 out of 160 cars that started and i think 125 cars that finished the 24h race.

https://livetiming.tracktime.info/wige#screen-results

Article about the car:
http://asiacruisenews.com/news/Virtu...gring-24-Hours
Very good result. Toyota has no competition for the 130 N.

Yaris supercharge, maybe...when will come out with it?

Old 05-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #16
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

Toyota Raced with Corolla Altis and GT86 at the 24h race.
But yes Toyota doesn't really have a hot hatch to buy right now from factory.
The Yaris GRMN is coming out soon though.