Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
businezguy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Considering Yaris vs. Elantra

The alternator on my Ford Focus ZTS (purchased by my wife prior to our marriage) has died, and was replaced by another dead alternator a couple of years ago. In addition, I had to do extensive repairs to fix an issue with the car overheating, and it's beginning to demonstrate the same issue as before. Needless to say, with only 98k on it, I'm fed up and need to replace this car ASAP (the next two the three weeks at the latest). I am forced to drive my wife's 1995 Ford Explorer getting 19 MPG driving 55 MPH.

I'm trying to decide between an Elantra and a Yaris, and I've pretty much made a decision to go with the Yaris. While the Elantra has by far the best interior of the two, and quite honestly is the better vehicle overall, I love the minimalism of the Yaris, and most importantly the better MPG I'll get from it. There is nothing I would love more then to spend less of my money overseas supporting terrorism and saving about $50 a month at $2.50 per gallon.

So I need your help! I would be getting the base Sedan with the convenience and power package, and added on Bluetooth. However, can somebody break down all of the storage compartments that come with this car? I do a lot of commuting (132 miles round trip 5 days a week) and need to have storage readily available for my MP3 player, toll money, cell phone, organizer (can put that in the glove compartment), etc. Also, I love a huge thing of coffee during my commute. How large of a cup could I fit in the cup holder that's in front of the air vent? Could I for example fit a 1 quart bottle of Gatorade in it as an example?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am going to be making me purchase soon, and this will be the first new car purchase I'll make (paying cash so I'll own it outright).

Thanks!
businezguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Storage:
Non-locking glove box,
arm rest (small),
pockets behind the driver and passenger seats
coin box underneath the driver's cup holder.
and Valet locking Trunk-60/40 folding rear seats(they don't fold flat.

Cupholders:
two on dash-- under the vents-can hold up to a large/xltra large of Carl's Jr/Hardee's drink cup.
Driver's and front passenger has an indentation in the lower door pocket that can hold the standard water bottle.
Rear of the arm rest is one more cup holder that flips out.

It looks like you've done your homework. I would pick one or the other of the packages to save money. I hope you are thinking of the manual too-- more money saved. The advantage of the Yaris over the Elantra is the price.... don't option out the Yaris any where near the price of the Elantra. If we were talking Hyundai competitor for the Yaris, it would be the Accent.

When you say you're going to save 50 bucks a month, I'm going to assume you mean over the Focus and not the Explorer. I say you're gonna save a lot more than that if you drive it right.

How large a laptop do you have? Bare with no bag, it should fit with other things in the glove box.

I hope I addressed most of your concerns, Good luck on either car.

Feel free to ask more questions.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #3
businezguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
Storage:
Non-locking glove box,
arm rest (small),
pockets behind the driver and passenger seats
coin box underneath the driver's cup holder.
and Valet locking Trunk-60/40 folding rear seats(they don't fold flat.

Cupholders:
two on dash-- under the vents-can hold up to a large/xltra large of Carl's Jr/Hardee's drink cup.
Driver's and front passenger has an indentation in the lower door pocket that can hold the standard water bottle.
Rear of the arm rest is one more cup holder that flips out.

It looks like you've done your homework. I would pick one or the other of the packages to save money. I hope you are thinking of the manual too-- more money saved. The advantage of the Yaris over the Elantra is the price.... don't option out the Yaris any where near the price of the Elantra. If we were talking Hyundai competitor for the Yaris, it would be the Accent.

When you say you're going to save 50 bucks a month, I'm going to assume you mean over the Focus and not the Explorer. I say you're gonna save a lot more than that if you drive it right.

How large a laptop do you have? Bare with no bag, it should fit with other things in the glove box.

I hope I addressed most of your concerns, Good luck on either car.

Feel free to ask more questions.
Thanks for the information you've provided, much appreciated. I read on some threads that folks were losing coins that were going behind the dashboard when storing them somewhere. Does the coin holder you describe have that issue?

As for the price, I need to get the automatic transmission and power package. Since the Yaris has no incentives and the Elantra does, a comparably equipped Elantra with more features standard, actually costs a few hundred dollars less. However, I figured that I would save about $50 in gas per month with the Yaris vs. the Elantra because I drive so much. VS. the Explorer I'll be saving about $232 per month. VS the Focus I'll be saving about $78 per month. All of this is assuming $2.50 for gas of course. If gas goes up, the savings obviously go up as well.

I have a large laptop bag, so I'll just put my laptop in the rear of the car while commuting and obviously if I stop that the market or something on the way home, throw it in the trunk. I'm more concerned with what to do with my toll money, MP3 player, and cell phone. Believe me, when it comes to toll money especially, I feel like I risk life and limb just to get the correct change for the toll.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
One thing to consider if you do a lot of highway driving at higher speeds is the handling of the two cars.

You will find the Yaris does not handle so well at highway speeds, on uneven surfaces or crosswinds. Although it's better for the sedan vs the hatch, this is definitely an important thing to compare between the two cars before you buy. I never go over 55 mph and find the handling good enough, but a couple times a crosswind has nearly blown me out of my lane.

If you stick at 55mph; like you state; you will get about 45-50 MPG in the Yaris auto. I am unfamiliar with the Hyundai, but can guarantee you will not come close to that with the Elantra AT.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
like you said, the elantra is better build quality; tbh the corolla might be a closer match of comparison shopping-- notwithstanding, i still like my yaris ;D
but highway driving does get a bit hairy sometimes, this car is so light (and the hatchback is so tall!)
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
oh, and yes the cup holders are awesome in this car! haha
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
businezguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
One thing to consider if you do a lot of highway driving at higher speeds is the handling of the two cars.

You will find the Yaris does not handle so well at highway speeds, on uneven surfaces or crosswinds. Although it's better for the sedan vs the hatch, this is definitely an important thing to compare between the two cars before you buy. I never go over 55 mph and find the handling good enough, but a couple times a crosswind has nearly blown me out of my lane.

If you stick at 55mph; like you state; you will get about 45-50 MPG in the Yaris auto. I am unfamiliar with the Hyundai, but can guarantee you will not come close to that with the Elantra AT.
I'm sure this is the case, and I'm sure the Elantra would not be effected nearly as much as the Yaris, so I'll keep that in mind. But it also occurs to me that having had to drive the Ford Explorer for the past couple of weeks I ran into that issue once. Nothing like driving a tall, huge box. It's quite possible the Ford Explorer would be worse in that respect then the Yaris.

When I do a test drive, I'll have to try going 65 MPH on the highway. It's not like I plan to stick to 55 MPH ALL of the time.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
businezguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
like you said, the elantra is better build quality; tbh the corolla might be a closer match of comparison shopping-- notwithstanding, i still like my yaris ;D
but highway driving does get a bit hairy sometimes, this car is so light (and the hatchback is so tall!)
I've basically decided that saving $50 per month on gas is more important then the significantly better interior/design of the Elantra. I believe the Elantra would be about 20% less efficient in gas then would be the Yaris (despite EPA estimates stating only a 10% difference).

I really want to be hitting the high 40's to low 50's in this vehicle. I'm looking forward to saving some serious $$$ so I have more money to spend on myself.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
businezguy

The plot thickens!

So I just sent in a counter offer on a 2008 Yaris sedan this dealer still has in their lot. Obviously I'll get a better deal for that car then I would a '09 model, and my last attempt at getting more from the dealer is to have free bluetooth installed.

Anyway, I am expecting the offer to be accepted, and I just looked everywhere and realized that I have lost my driver's license after coming back from vacation in Florida. I'm so pissed! I have no idea where my birth certificate and marriage license are, and I doubt I'll find them over the next couple of days.

Now I'm trying to figure out, do I need to have my driver's license to buy a new car? This is so ridiculous!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I'm not sure if you'll get in "the high 40's to low 50's" on the highway with the Yaris. Although people have posted that they've gotten above 40MPG highway, you'll be happier if you set your expectations at around 40MPG.

The Yaris is one of the best values on the market. Although Hyundai has been making great strides lately, their lower resale value tends to wipe out any savings up front. I recently dumped a new Genesis Coupe for another Yaris due to poor customer service from Hyundai - although your experience with Hyundai might be better. Based on my experience, I think Toyota has more advanced powertrains than Hyundai, too.

Based on your storage requirements, you may have to create some storage for change, etc because the Yaris sedan doesn't have many storage areas in the dash. Check the storage gadget section of your local auto parts store - you can find many things (like ashtrays) that can be used to store change for the commute.

EDIT: I'm not sure about needing a driver's license to buy in PA, but I'll bet you'll need to have it (especially if you're going to finance).

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
businezguy

I'm actually going to pay cash, so I'm not sure I'll need it. Obviously I'll need it so when/if I get pulled over I don't get a ticket, but I don't want to let it hold me back from making a purchase.

As for MPG, I was able to average 34 MPG in a 2002 Ford Focus ZTS. This is a car that is supposed to only get 29 MPG highway, and only 25 MPG combined, and believe me with today's EPA estimates, the MPG should really be lower then that. I should also add that this car has had issues with overheating, and really needed a tune up lately (I was getting more like 36 MPG last year around this time).

I have very high expectations for the Yaris, and would be very disappointed if I got less then 45 MPG. I am willing to drive very conservatively to get the best milage I can.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
I have very high expectations for the Yaris, and would be very disappointed if I got less then 45 MPG. I am willing to drive very conservatively to get the best milage I can.
if you are willing to follow the fuel economy forum and hypermiling tips to the letter, then expect 45+.

Drive normally, and expect 35-42.

Try to drive fast, get 30.

All are better than most vehicles
Old 06-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
businezguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
if you are willing to follow the fuel economy forum and hypermiling tips to the letter, then expect 45+.

Drive normally, and expect 35-42.

Try to drive fast, get 30.

All are better than most vehicles
I'm wondering what I can expect by setting the cruise control to 55 MPH and leaving it at that. I really hope I can get well over 45 MPG by doing that.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #14
rbell

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB
Gald to see you're picking the Toyota. I just purchased a Yaris 3dr hb 3 weeks ago. I don't have any issues tooling around between 70-75 mph. I think it handles fine. Previous vehicle was a 2004 Tacoma. It now has 225,000 on it. I only had to replace the front brakes and change oils and fluids. Toyota quality is fantastic. Hate to be harsh, but I wouldn't consider buying a Hyundai or KIA piece of crap.
rbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #15
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post

The sedan does not do well when there's alot of wind on the highway too, it gets scary at some points with stock sus/wheels.
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #16
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
the elantra is better build quality

Look up some resale values on similar toyotas and hyundais with similar miles. Hyundai doesn't know the meaning of the word quality.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #17
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by businezguy View Post
I'm wondering what I can expect by setting the cruise control to 55 MPH and leaving it at that. I really hope I can get well over 45 MPG by doing that.
If you're not using A/C you'll break 50 mpg sometimes. For me to consistently get over 50 on entire tanks I drive 50-55 mph and no A/C. Solid A/C use will give you about 10% less fe. There is a ton of information out there on what you can expect. We have the sedan with convenience package and it's an auto. I don't drive as far as you do for your commute and if that's all hwy you may see better mileage than I see if you maintain similar speeds.

Going over 55 and using A/C will be your biggest enemies for your commute.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #18
businezguy

Basically all but 4 miles of my commute is highway miles. I'll run into problems many times with traffic jams for a few of those miles, however. Still, if I leave early enough, that doesn't happen that often, and I almost never hit a traffic jam at all on my way home. That is one of the reasons why I have high expectations for my MPG.

I realize this is a forum for the Toyota Yaris, and I obviously am steering towards that as my choice. However, I will give accolades where they are due. The Elantra has a longer record then most cars on the road today, and it is proven very reliable, and equaled the Yaris in reliability. It also has a much better quality interior, and actually has more space then even a Yaris.

Somebody above stated that the drive train in the Yaris is more advanced then the Elantra, and that is very accurate. The other major advantage the Yaris has is MPG.

As a personal opinion, the Elantra is SO smooth, comfortable, and refined that it makes me feel like I'm driving a large luxury sedan to an extent, whereas the Yaris makes me feel like I have a basic commuting car that is more fun to drive, and handles better on country roads. This is all based on having test drove both a couple of times.