Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
One of my rear speakers sound like its pluged up?!?

So my system goes as follows. I have a aftermarket deck with a 4 channel amp and 6.5 components in front and 6x9 coaxials in the rear.

The right rear speaker acts almost like its plugged. Once and awile the sound will stop working. Then if i turn the volume way up i get a teeny bit of sound and then turn it way way up it starts to crackle like the volume is blasting out a clog. And then the sound goes back to normal and will work normal for a day. Then it happens again.

Any stereo gurus have any idea what would be the likely problem? At first i thought it was a blown out speaker but after turning volume up the speaker functions normally.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Yaris - GP

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
First try to run that speaker from another channel of your amp to "see" if the same problem exists. Might be a problem from the amp and not the speaker.
Yaris - GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
sounds like bad wiring. Happened to me to one of my front tweeters. It would stop working, and when i turn up the volume, and/or a high treble song plays, it would come back.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
1: bad wiring like broken speaker wire that barely makes a connection MIGHT do it.
2: frayed speaker wire at the amp shorts out on some metal it shouldn't be touching
3: Speaker is blown - the voice coil got to hot, the epoxy that holds the voice coil together failed, and the coil started to unravel... the unraveled mess of wire prevents the speaker from moving unless you really turn the speaker up loud.

those are my top 3.... in no particular order. Take a look at your wires first.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Okay i will check those 3 things and get back to you if none of those turn out. How can i tell if the speaker is blown besides the obviouse if it looks torn.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
well.... with the voice coil thing you wont be able to see anything wrong... the only thing is that if you push on the cone you might hear a scratching noise.

Sometimes you can hook up a multimeter to a speaker and check its resistance (ohm load) and it'll show a wierd value.... thats a clue to a voice coil going bad... but doesn't always happen. a 4ohm speaker should read around 3.2-3.6ohms normally (DC resistance is always a lil lower than AC).