Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
xanekka

Drives: Yaris 2009 4D Sdn Pwr Pkg
Making Space for 10" Tablet in Dash (Moving Hazard, Odo & Clock Buttons)

Hi everyone,

I have a 7" tablet in my dash right now. I am very happy with it. But I would be a lot happier with a 10" tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S T-Mobile). I have made the measurements and found that I need to move the following:
  • Hazard light button
  • Odo/trip button
  • Clock button
  • Air ducts
The air duct are easy as I will 3D print the instrument cluster cover with built-in ducts. They won't be able to move but it will work.
However, I am a bit concerned about moving the three electronic buttons to the blank spots near my handbreak. I don't have much experience with it.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks I should use for this project?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash.jpg (247.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
Alain93

Drives: Yaris 12
ok let's see If I got it right here.
You replaced the stereo with a tablet and added I supposed a small amp in the back, you did something to control the volume, maybe by software (easiest), you had to set up the power cable to the tablet, you say that you are going to 3D print the cover.
And now you are asking tips to move 3 ridiculous buttons, too funny!
Alain93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
shiroyaris

Drives: 2007 yaris 4 door basic
The only thing I can think of doing is to completely redo the whole mounting face for where the radio, vents and buttons are. You could relocated the buttons and hazard light to the instrument cover facia since there is enough space and it is only one plug. However, I wouldn't do it since you are minimizing the vent functionality, and there are only two other ones on the outside. Secondly, I think its a safety hazard with having to deal with a touch screen when the user interface and screen sensitivity has not been optimized for road use. Other than that, good luck.
shiroyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
IIRC those wires are pretty long. You may be able to get enough length to move the switch and SRS stuff to a different location(s). Failing that, learn how to correctly extend wires. If you do them one at a time, use proper pliers/connectors you really can't go wrong.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote