Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
Why people choose a 5dr Liftback instead of a Sedan??

This question is for Canadian owners because of the actual models available here. I'm just curious why people will choose a 5-doors Liftback instead of a Sedan.

If I'm getting a quote on a Sedan with C-Package (full equip) it cost exactly the same price than a 5dr Liftback LE with B-Package (full equip). But there's some little extra on the sedan; the sedan come with 15" stock instead of 14", sedan come with stock MP3 deck (w/ rear speakers!), sedan come with mugflaps and sedan come with an impressive trunk space.

So, why to choose a 5-doors Liftback instead of a Sedan??
Old 09-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
8. Sedan didn't exist when I bought mine
Yup. I almost forgot the sedan is 1 yr younger than the liftback. Probably a reason for most of peoples.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
1.) 5 drs. is much practical than 4 drs. Imagine you need to pick up a box of LCD TV. With 5 drs. You can put it in easily with flipping up the back seat, however it may not pass the trunk of a 4 drs.
2.) generally hatch back is much easier to park.. since what you see from the rear window is the tail of the car, however for a seden, you need to guess how long is your trunk.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Personally, no disrespect intended but the sedan just looks bland without aftermarket parts. Most of the base model sedans all look the same these days. Yaris, Corolla, Mazda... the HB just plain stands out. Even if the sedan had been available when I bought mine I would have stuck with the HB.
Also, like Boo says, anything large wont go into a trunk. Ive had nothing but sedans and can believe how small the actuall trunk opening is compared to the the room inside the trunk.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Here's some biased reason for 5dr liftback instead of Sedan.

1. Slighly more sporty suspension setup and excellent handling dynamics.
2. Great seating, able to comfortably fit tall adult while sitting front to back. The rear back-rest also tilts.
3. More distinctive look (it doesn't blend in to the crowd)
4. Ability to haul cargo with seats down. (which is a deciding factor for me).
5. Like the Sedan, the 5dr liftback also has mudflaps and rear speakers.
6. Higher up and commanding view of the road. I like being able to look down at the road and not have a hood in the way.
7. easy in/out access for those who have knee problems or difficulty to lift themselves out of the seat.
8. Pull-out on dash cuphold, that can use air vent to help keep drinks warm or cool.

Two things nice about the Sedan is that you don't have to pay extra for decent size tires or side-mirror that are painted to match he body color.

Last edited by Pars; 09-09-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i'm not a huge fan of the sedan, i think it looks ok, but not great, imo.

the hatch is practical.

the sedan wasnt' available when i got mine as well.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
riceboy

Drives: icebox
eh.. and I chose the 3 dr because I think it looks nicer than the 5 dr, and I wasn't particularily interested in a sedan...
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #8
Snowflake

Drives: '06 Scion xA Indigo Ink Pearl
85 pound German Wirehaired Pointer. Flip seats down and doggy has lots of room.

Makes the trips to Home Depot and Ikea much easier too.
Snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #9
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
5 door RS with flip down seat, so I can haul parge equipment like air compressors, engines, camping gear etc.

I also found out when the temps drop way down, you can slide the seats forward, drop the rear seats down and extend the head rests, toss in the inflateble bed and inflate it inside the car and it will keep you dry and warmer then a tent. Just pile the luggae in the tent LOL

Plus the wife liked it more because it has a sportier look
Old 09-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #10
JayCee

Drives: Yaris T3 Spirit Hatchback
It seems like they tried to save money when creating the Sedan to give it a bigger boot.. The Hatchback is just more rounded off inside and not all "plastic"
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:52 AM   #11
Bidoup

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 3dr BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars
8. Pull-out on dash cuphold, that can use air vent to help keep drinks warm or cool.
AHAH so true! I used the vent to keep my water cold with the AC during summer...

Nice feature
Bidoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #12
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I would have loved to get a 5 door liftback, but I live in the USA. No offense, but I think the Yaris Sedan is quite the yawnburger compared to the Liftback! The sedan looks like every other sedan, but the LB looks like nothing else on the road! Plus, like others have said, the LB is way more functional than the sedan. Try fitting a La-Z-Boy recliner in a sedan. My LB did it with no sweat! I also need to take a dryer to the dump. This thing is like a pint-sized version of my Tacoma Pickup that I sold! No contest!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #13
DorytheYaris
aka Eleni

Drives: 10 Yaris LB Auto- Blazing Blue
I honestly think the sedan is rather bland. My boyfriend's brother's girlfriend bought a Yaris Sedan in Pacific Blue in September and I was surprised at how much it looked like any other typical sedan. The Yaris S is a nice upgrade however and it doesn't look as dull. The liftback is definitely a headturner and the interior room and cargo space could blow the sedan out of the water. She tells me that my Blazing Blue Metallic liftback is ugly, but she honestly needs to get her eyes checked!
DorytheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #14
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
For me it was clear. I'm 6.1'. My head was almost touching in the sedan even with the seat as low as possible. When I sat In the rear I had to keep my head "on the side". Also, the sedan has more roll than the HB.
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #15
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
I wish i had bought the 5 door, but i needed a large trunk while still allowing me to have the seats in an up-right position ( babyseat), the sedan is boring, but i plan to give it the VIP treatment next year...
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:26 PM   #16
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
I wish i had bought the 5 door, but i needed a large trunk while still allowing me to have the seats in an up-right position ( babyseat), the sedan is boring, but i plan to give it the VIP treatment next year...

Yeah, I got a babe on the way and if I knew it at the time, I might not have bought the liftback. Luckily, I've found a few good carriages that fit in the back, with the rear bench up (Pre-Perego A3 and similar). Also, having the tight space behind the rear seats works in my favor, cause now the wife's car is the primary babe car which leaves my car free to haul cargo.

Regarding sedan vs liftback. The ratio between 3drs and sedans is very close, but the 5drs blows them all aways. There about 3 5drs for every sedan on the road (based a personal observation in the GTA area).
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:33 PM   #17
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
no particular reason, i had a dead sexy 3doors hatch before. i wanted a yaris, because of all the better features and better sound deadning.

i put on 45000km on my 3doors hatch in less than 2 years, and didn't want to put more money on it to make it more comfy. (RS seats, lowering suspension, sound system, powerdoor locks, keyless entry, spoiler, side skirts, 15" yaris TS alloy wheels-> thanks to echo_hrs<-, borla exhaust) i think i have enough of that car. all that money and yet, i still didn't have power side mirrors and power windows!! my previous car (suzuki swift 1.6L glx) had power everything!

so, my final decision was parting it out, and selling the car. Buying another hatchback didn't do any justice, so i bought a sedan with areo package (aka S sedan full equip with fog lamps and alloy wheels)

below, a picture of my 3doors echo hatch RS... as mentionned few lines up, this 3doors echo hatch had the seats of the RS, powerlock with keyless entry, spoiler of the RS and the 15" alloy wheels of a Yaris TS.. the missing RS side skirts weren't painted and installed yet when i sold the car.. i put too much money on it..
Attached Images

IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:03 PM   #18
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
the sedan is ugly
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote