Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #73
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
I did not solder but the physical connections are all good - I have lots of experience with car and home audio stuff. (section of ecu wire stripped (without cutting), then fmu wire securely attached, then the joint pressed with pliers and insulated.

Last edited by TOLMACH; 03-20-2013 at 11:13 PM.
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #74
TOLMACH

Update: Just disconnected a bunch of wires and reconnected the same way again: IT WORKS.. dunno what happened

JEEEEE... THE CAR FEELS TWO TIMES FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN NOT BELIEVE HOW GOOD THIS THING IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #75
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
Update: Just disconnected a bunch of wires and reconnected the same way again: IT WORKS.. dunno what happened

JEEEEE... THE CAR FEELS TWO TIMES FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN NOT BELIEVE HOW GOOD THIS THING IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's great that it is now working. I would recommend either soldering the connections or using some form of crimped connectors. Twist and tape is not a good way to go under the hood.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #76
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
CT, do you by chance have any pictures of your soldering process? I'm not 100% sure how to strip the insulation on the OEM harness w/out cutting any of the wires. Small torch?

I soldered the lights on my trailer last weekend and it was a pretty big pain trying to hold both wires steady enough to get the solder to set. In addition, I ended up cutting the wire that was being spliced in to so that I could get the heat shrink over just those two wires. There were a few stray strands that got nicked by the wire stripper, but I'm not as concerned with trailer lights as I am with the ignition wiring.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #77
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
CT, do you by chance have any pictures of your soldering process? I'm not 100% sure how to strip the insulation on the OEM harness w/out cutting any of the wires. Small torch?

I soldered the lights on my trailer last weekend and it was a pretty big pain trying to hold both wires steady enough to get the solder to set. In addition, I ended up cutting the wire that was being spliced in to so that I could get the heat shrink over just those two wires. There were a few stray strands that got nicked by the wire stripper, but I'm not as concerned with trailer lights as I am with the ignition wiring.

I didn't take pictures of that process, but I typically do inline soldering by either of two methods:

Stripping the wire:

1. Strip and smush - Take the wire to connect to, cut through the jacket with a wire stripper (one that has separate holes for each wire size, to prevent cutting the strands). Once you are through the jacket, push the stripper along the wire towards the longer side of the wire (i.e. away from the nearest connector). You can typically get 1/2" to 1" of access to the bare wire by doing this.

2. Carve the insulation - Using a hobby knife (or the stripper above and hobby knife), ring the insulate at two points about 1/2" apart, and then slit between the two rings to remove the section of insulation.

Soldering:

Wrap your wire to attach around the exposed wire, heat the two wires with a soldering iron, and wick the solder into both. Then, a wrap of electrical tape or a shrinkable tape seals the deal.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #78
TOLMACH

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hands-Free-S...item3f24913214
Old 05-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #79
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
^Now that you mention it, I think I have one of those around here...
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #80
TOLMACH

^ I think this thing can also help prevent (to some extent) the heat from going towards the ECU and potentially damaging smth.. My soldering skills are kinda mediocre - overheating the wires is a real possibility ((
Old 05-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #81
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
^ I think this thing can also help prevent (to some extent) the heat from going towards the ECU and potentially damaging smth.. My soldering skills are kinda mediocre - overheating the wires is a real possibility ((
You won't really have enough room to use a tool like that, but there are no real worries about overheating the wire. You will be splicing into the wire a few inches from the ECM connector and can even do so with it unplugged...