Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #19
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
cant believe this is gonna come out of my mouth, but here goes: i was just looking at the chevy sonic, and i prefer it inside and out, asthetically speaking only.
I agree, the interior is more inspiring. And I heard the power is the same or similar to the Cruze. So the power to weight ratio should be great considering it weighs less or I assume than the Cruze. So we'll see when it comes out.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #20
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
this car is butt ugly...sorry but i had much higher hopes for the new yaris
the angle of the c-pillar is the worst

i think it's going to have a tough time considering the competition this car has now in north america from the ford fiesta, mazda 2, and the usual sub-compacts

was this car designed in japan?
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #21
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
this car is butt ugly...sorry but i had much higher hopes for the new yaris
the angle of the c-pillar is the worst

i think it's going to have a tough time considering the competition this car has now in north america from the ford fiesta, mazda 2, and the usual sub-compacts

was this car designed in japan?
I wouldn't throw the Mazda 2 in there. The 2012 Yaris looks far far better. The Mazda 2 is even uglier than the Nissan Versa, IMO. It is already a sales failure (I have yet to see one on the road and its been out nearly a year!).

The biggest new threats to the Yaris is the '12 Accent, '12 Sonic, as well as an upcoming all new Versa which we have yet to see - it's also due to be redesigned for 2012. The Fit and Fiesta are still going strong.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #22
stuffy

i've seen a few mazda 2's on the road and i think it's a far, far better looking car than this new yaris...of course have yet to see the yaris in person but i can't see that changing anything for me.

toyota really had to knock on out of the park to stay in the subcompact game (the category they used to own)...this is going to be an utter failure judging by the looks, it's going to have to be amazing on gas and have great road manners for it to even have a chance against a really competitive segment
Old 01-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #23
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
toyota will sell plenty of these IF the mileage numbers are good enough.

the mazda 2, at 33 mpg, was a big disappointment. 40 mpg should now be the minimum for a car of this size. if the new yaris isnt there, i will not buy one.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #24
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
the mazda 2, at 33 mpg, was a big disappointment. 40 mpg should now be the minimum for a car of this size. if the new yaris isnt there, i will not buy one.
Especially when its platform cousin, the Fiesta, gets 40mpg and is bigger and more powerful. The Mazda 2 is now the smallest car outside of the Smart and iQ. It should have been an mpg leader.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #25
3dr5speedblk
StickShift

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB
I can't see it myself!! a step backwards!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
Am I the only one who absolutely hates the interior redesign? I can't for the life of me understand why they got rid of the center console speedometer. That was one of my favourite features and to see it go, well ... let's just say I would not be getting one of these anytime soon. :P
I'm with you, Leave it in the center with the new gauges!!
Looks like a matrix? More premium features more $$$.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #26
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
I wouldn't throw the Mazda 2 in there. The 2012 Yaris looks far far better. The Mazda 2 is even uglier than the Nissan Versa, IMO. It is already a sales failure (I have yet to see one on the road and its been out nearly a year!).

The biggest new threats to the Yaris is the '12 Accent, '12 Sonic, as well as an upcoming all new Versa which we have yet to see - it's also due to be redesigned for 2012. The Fit and Fiesta are still going strong.
I wouldn't say the Mazda2 has been out nearly a year. Maybe 5 months or so. But yeah I haven't seen one on the road yet either. I like it cause its designed like most Mazda's to be fun and engaging. Sure its down on power compared to its rivals but its that fun tossable light weight car. Miata in hatch back form, in principle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
i've seen a few mazda 2's on the road and i think it's a far, far better looking car than this new yaris...of course have yet to see the yaris in person but i can't see that changing anything for me.

toyota really had to knock on out of the park to stay in the subcompact game (the category they used to own)...this is going to be an utter failure judging by the looks, it's going to have to be amazing on gas and have great road manners for it to even have a chance against a really competitive segment
I like the Mazda as well even if its just as dated as the current Yaris. Or about.
Toyota not only needs to be competitive with mpg but also features and interior. Which it seems as late they are behind.

Quote:
toyota will sell plenty of these IF the mileage numbers are good enough.

The Mazda is more geared towards "performance" rather economy. Its like performance with economy on the side. Think of its bigger brother the 3. In principle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Especially when its platform cousin, the Fiesta, gets 40mpg and is bigger and more powerful. The Mazda 2 is now the smallest car outside of the Smart and iQ. It should have been an mpg leader.
They share the same platform, abiet modified, but I think that's where it ends. The rest is Mazda exclusive. So the engine, transmission etc. Like I mentioned above, gearing is a big reason the mpg is not where you would think it would be. Its decent mpg but if you put fun driving above that, the the 2 is right for you.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #27
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Too many odd angles and flattened panels... I like the interior, but only because it doesn't seem quite as plastic and cheap, and has nice looking analog gauges (which might change when it comes to the US). The middle gauges don't make or break the car, as far as I'm concerned. I rather like the change, if only to not put off so many possible buyers. However I think they are going to put off more buyers with the exterior styling changes, then they will gain with the interior changes.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #28
SailDesign

Drives: .
It looks like they sawed the tail off a Prius, then stretched it out again. I hate the grill shape (too "V"ed) and the whole package leaves me cold.
Blech!
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #29
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
no center console.??
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #30
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I'll hold off on "hero or zero" till I actually get to see the thing in the flesh.....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:43 AM   #31
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Drives: '09 3DR "S"|'87 Caddy Brougham
Send a message via MSN to computerlove87
just in terms of looks i find it a little bit higher quality looking than our car, but ugly nonetheless, and I am a huge fan of the center mount console, so I am disappointed with the new one. So far, aside from the drivetrain which is yet undisclosed for usdm, the only thing i like about the car is the rs's new chunky, perforated leather wheel. And if it is only available in 5 door, that is a deal breaker for me LOL

Please ignore the Ferrari
computerlove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #32
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Drives: '09 3DR "S"|'87 Caddy Brougham
Send a message via MSN to computerlove87
OOH also, i spy with my little eye, the potential for the same rear suspension geometry adjustment that we currently have on pic 6.

Please ignore the Ferrari
computerlove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #33
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I'm with those who don't like it, it looks like Toyota took the current Yaris and tacked on the Matrix front and rear ends to it. And I for one prefer the center console instruments, I have yet to own a car where I can see them completely when they are behind the steering wheel.

Cheers! M2
Old 01-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #34
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
i like the regular gas gauge i hate the digi gauge in the previous versions
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #35
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
for me the 12 has lost the individuality of design which attracted me to my 09 hatch

that individuality is what sold me on the Yaris originally- the 12 just looks like a mixture of all the current B class competitors which makes it a tough sell I think because being a Japanese built model the cost structure in Japan makes it awfully difficult for them to compete with a Mexican Fiesta and Versa or a Korean Accent or Sonic.

So right from the get go Toyota can't compete feature to feature. So what's left? Individuality of design? - gone, mpg - doubtful based on other non hybrid Toyotas sold in the US unless they go with their stop-start, smaller engined gasoline model but I just don't see Toyota moving that way since it would further increase their cost structure on the Yaris, reliablity - yes but Toyota as a whole has seen that tarnished.

Toyota could have brought in their diesel, stayed with a Euro design theme which does set our cars apart right now but by playing it safe they give one no other reason to buy the Yaris but initial price which really hasn't helped them too much up to now against their higher priced competitors like the Fit and Versa.

the necesscity to compete on price also kills Toyota's and the dealer's margins on the Yaris which is why so many dealers try to "upsell" potential Yaris buyers into a Corolla.

Toyota doesn't make enough on the Yaris to use it's marketing muscle on the model so after an initial "bump" with the new model I hate to say it but I predict the Yaris will continue to bring up the rear in B class US sales numbers.

the paradox is going for safe (middle of the road) can be unsafe- it's better to forge an identity. you want fun to drive - you have a Mazda 2, you want refinement - there's Fiesta, you want utility and versatility- there's Fit, you want a bit more room and comfort- there's Versa, you want value- there is Sonic and Accent. What exactly is the selling point with the new Yaris?

Last edited by Lewis; 01-29-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:57 AM   #36
stuffy

well put Lewis...if stop/start is standard and doesn't come with a big price tag it might have the edge with fuel economy/green car identity