Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
chriswb

Drives: 09 Yaris Liftback
Used vs. Certified

Hello everyone, I'm considering purchasing a Yaris to replace my old beater and I'd appreciate your advice on a few questions:

#1. Where is the best place to purchase a used Yaris? Dealers around here (Chicago) have a surplus of 2007, 2008, and even a few returned 2009 models. There are a few private sellers with 2007 and 2008 models. Prices from dealers range from $9500-11,000. Prices from private sellers are around $9000. Is it worth purchasing from a dealer, or should I consider private sellers?

One thing I've considered is that I can always add a warranty to a car I purchase from a private seller. Is that a good option?

I am only looking at cars with under 30,000 miles on them with clean CarFax records.

#2. Is purchasing a "certified" car worthwhile? It seems to me that any car I purchase would be under the original Toyota warranty. I can extend the warranty by purchasing the Platinum plan so what benefit will the certification provide?

#3. I am looking at the hatchback and there appear to be a significant amount of variations in the offerings. What should I be looking for?

#4. Is there any difference in quality between the 2007, 2008, and the 2009 models? Ie: is there any reason to pick a 2007 over a 2008, a 2008 over a 2009, and etc.?

Thank you all for your help and advice. Any other advice you can give would be welcome.
chriswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Penguin Garage

Drives: Yaris
i suggest finding someone who knows what to look for in a used car and have them check out the private party cars.

IMO "certified" is bull. the dealer will do THEIR BEST to not help you after the sale anyway, and it's not like the yaris is gonna break down anyway unless it was HIGHLY abused in the first place.

remember, you too can check a carfax on any car you like :)
Penguin Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Rather you buy from a private party or dealer insist on proof of timely oil changes. This will be harder than it appears. A dealer will tell you thay can't prove oil changes that is why they "certify" them. Look for un-even tire ware. Cash deals will help a lot. From a private party be ready to go to their bank to get the title.

In my opinion a warranty in not worth the money. If you were willing to spend 11,000 plus another 1,000 in a warranty consider getting a new Yaris. There are plenty incentive deals out there. Some members on this forum have paid 1,000 less for a new one than I did a year ago. Test drive a new car and when you drive a used one the feel shouldn't be much different.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Buying from a private party would mean that you pay less for the same car than you would at a dealer, so you save money. But getting records from a private party - or proof of oil changes or whatever - may be trickier if they didn't go to a Toyota dealership. Around here, Toyota dealerships keep track of services by computer.

I bought my 2007 Yaris LB Certified from a Toyota dealership with 55K miles on it already about 3 months ago because I couldn't find any similar car, used, in decent condition from a private party at the time (I was really set on getting a SMALL car, Manual Transmission, and the Liftback body-type, and all I wanted to spend was about 8K-10K). But since that time, Toyota had sales, even 0% financing, which - had I known that at the time - might have gotten me in a new car instead. No biggy, I don't drive a lot of miles anymore, so this Yaris will last me forever anyway.

I liked that the car was already Certified because it tells me that it has passed the mechanical inspection. Also, they give you a 3 month "certified" warranty which gives you some peace of mind. Had I purchased the car from a private party, I would have had to take it myself to a mechanic near where the car is, and taken more time off to do that. Getting a Certified car from a dealer saved me a bunch of time.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by tomato; 06-04-2009 at 06:00 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
tomato
Super Moderator

You might want to check out this thread "should I get the extended warranty"

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ended+warranty

people in the forum gave me some good advice at the time when I was wondering if I should get the extended service contract on my Certified Yaris. For the record, I elected to go without the warranty because I just don't drive enough these days so the car probably wouldn't break down during the period covered by the extended warranty.

Last edited by tomato; 06-04-2009 at 05:56 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswb View Post

#2. Is purchasing a "certified" car worthwhile? It seems to me that any car I purchase would be under the original Toyota warranty. I can extend the warranty by purchasing the Platinum plan so what benefit will the certification provide?

#3. I am looking at the hatchback and there appear to be a significant amount of variations in the offerings. What should I be looking for?

#4. Is there any difference in quality between the 2007, 2008, and the 2009 models? Ie: is there any reason to pick a 2007 over a 2008, a 2008 over a 2009, and etc.?.

A couple more thoughts for you:

#2 That's true, too, but I would still want a mechanical inspection of a second hand car, even if almost new, especially from a private party. You never know.

#3 Get what you like. I personally prefer without frills, so I got manual windows, etc., and saved some money that way, but others like stuff like power windows, etc.

#4 I don't know the answer to that question but consumer reports said the "2007" is a "good bet"

Hope that helps.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
chriswb

Thank you all. This is fabulous advice and just what I was looking for.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #8
tomato
Super Moderator

You're welcome! The Yaris is entry level, but it's a good car.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:01 AM   #9
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
The independent mechanical inspection is what will tell you all about the car,The dealers word and carfax are worthless as i found out a few years ago when i bought a low mileage demonstrator from a very large east end Montreal Suzuki dealership,carfax came back clean and the dealer said the car had never been in an accident,so i bought the car,
Within weeks the car felt loose so back to the dealer for a new rack and pinion steering assembly, couple of weeks later something breaks in the transmission so back to the dealer for a new tranny,within days the clutch starts slipping,back to the dealer where now they dont want to cover the clutch saying i burned it out due to aggressive driving,i ended up paying for thatweeks pass and i notice all the door handles are coming loose and the paint is starting to come off everywhere,back to the dealer and seems there is nothing they can do
I call the local consumer protection association and they send out a roving mechanic,as we are walking towards the car he says its been in a major wreck the paint doesnt match in several places,there is overspray on some rubber parts,filler has been used in several areas and welding has been done in the trunk and engine bay,airbags have deployed,etc,etc,etc.The car had been totaled
With this evidence and the threat of legal action the dealer bought the car back so it ended up financially ok but what a stressful few months,and the whole issue could have been avoided with a simple mechanical inspection.
As for extended warranty? if the car checks out you wont need one as its a Toyota.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
chriswb

How would you suggest I get an independent mechanical inspection? I know a good mechanic, but do dealers generally let you take the car to a mechanic to get it tested before you've purchased it?
Old 06-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
How would you suggest I get an independent mechanical inspection? I know a good mechanic, but do dealers generally let you take the car to a mechanic to get it tested before you've purchased it?
If they dont let you take the car to an independent mechanic i'd look for a new dealer or buy brand new.
Let your mechanic know you are car shopping and would it be all right to bring a car over to be inspected,point out that this may need him to drop what he's doing as the test drive cant last all day ,he should understand the need to not have an appointment.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:05 AM   #12
chriswb

Here's another question: when do next year's models typically come out? I think I may just wait a month and then buy a new car as many of you have recommended. It'd be nice to get the 2010 model.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:14 AM   #13
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Here's another question: when do next year's models typically come out? I think I may just wait a month and then buy a new car as many of you have recommended. It'd be nice to get the 2010 model.
In New zealand the 2010 model will start hitting show rooms in
late October early November , and the 2010 model here is the all new
power plants with the stop/start technology , as in this year's europe models.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #14
chriswb

So there's really no way of telling when the 2010 model will be released?