Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
18k km UOA on Mobil 1 0w30

above is my most recent UOA using mobil 1 0w30, all 3 sample shown was using that same oil. The most recent sample has over 300km from the track (2 track days) and hard spirited driving with a severe cold winter on it. The two oldest samples were from my 1nz and my most recent is from my 2zr. The 1nz had 175k km on it when i swapped it out and the 2zr has 120k km on it at the time of this sample.

I currently have Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 in my engine and have noticed it is a bit quieter and takes a bit longer to warm up. There doesn't seem to be any significant changes in oil pressure between the two, if anything maybe 3-5 psi higher in the Pennzoil, but I can't confirm that.

After reviewing the oil samples I am impressed with the 2zr being another solid engine. Wear metal were well within spec. I am also impressed with the 0w30 Mobil 1 oil holding a really decent total base number (TBN) and being able to handle 18k km of track days, extreme cold and hard driving and be able to go even longer. You can see the viscosity is starting to come down over time. This isn't a concern for me if I only DD my car, but I wouldn't put more track days on the car at over 18k km on the oil with the viscosity dropping. It is still well within spec and I'm not saying it's a concern but I wouldn't want to push that limit on a track with my DDer.

Going forward what I think I'm going to do is run Mobil 1 0w30 for up to 21k km but only during the winter months (~Nov-early Apr) and run Pennzoil UP 5w30 in the summer and during the track days. The plan is to just drain and store the oil when not being used. I plan on starting with a 12k km OCI on the Pennzoil UP after a hard summer of track days and see what the result is.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Looking great man, nothing to be concerned about here.

I would like to see the comparison of a 5w30 to this, to see if there is a difference in wear metals. We already know that my 10w40 sample results looked similar to yours, so this makes me think that any weight oil we use will provide similar results.

So if most synthetic oils produce the same amount of protection, and so do different weights....

Does it not matter at all what oil we put in our engines?
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Your question is exactly what I was going through in my head earlier today.

Oils have come a long way the last decade. Are we nearing the point of not needing a really heavy weight race oil? Is it possible that much of this has carried over from old technology and just stick with us even if it is no longer relevant? Questions worth asking
Old 03-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
I believe you’re right.

I even asked Blackstone if the results showed I needed an oil cooler.....they said no.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote