Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you regret getting the AT?
YES 7 20.00%
NO 28 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #145
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
....and one thing not discussed as of yet on this thread......what if you have a dead battery in a 'no auto club service' area.....IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO COMPRESSION START AN AUTOMATIC and it IS IMPOSSIBLE to COMPRESSION START AN AUTOMATIC SAFELY.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #146
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Back in late '09 when I was looking the 4-door Liftback with a manual tranny was new and very rare here in the states. I wanted one with a 5-speed and the power pac with cruise control. They had two red ones with the PP and CC...an auto and a manual. At the time I had no idea how rare the "hand-shaker" was. I test drove both of them, waited a couple of days, came back and the manual was gone. My dealer did a search in the area and could not find one. He expanded the search to a 300 miles radius...nothing. There were a few 2-door manuals out there, but no loaded 4-doors. I went ahead and bought the auto. Frankly, having owned it for about 2 1/2 years now, I have zero regrets about it. It's smooth and responsive. If I need my "manual fix" I take my dear old '86 Mazda pickup out for a spin.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #147
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I have a MT ... and I wish I had the AT as I do like 85% of my driving in the city where there is lots of traffic. I have been driving a stick for 29 years .. and the time has come for an AT.

So guess when my present Yaris is old, I will just get a new Yaris with an AT.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:46 PM   #148
PaddyMac

Drives: 09 Yaris
I regretted the AT until I saw a MT getting a new clutch
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #149
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Most of my previous cars have been manual, and I especially love driving manual on winding roads out of town. But I don't miss having to change a failed clutch!

I used to know a guy who managed a corporate vehicle fleet and he found that statistically the automatics turned out to be more reliable. He believed it was due to less stress on the engines due to the AT keeping them running more on their "comfort zone".

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #150
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
Most of my previous cars have been manual, and I especially love driving manual on winding roads out of town. But I don't miss having to change a failed clutch!

I used to know a guy who managed a corporate vehicle fleet and he found that statistically the automatics turned out to be more reliable. He believed it was due to less stress on the engines due to the AT keeping them running more on their "comfort zone".

I've never had a failed clutch after 35-36 years of driving nothing but manuals, even on OEM/factory clutches with 200,000 miles on them. Granted they were all Honda/Acura manuals up until my 2015 Yaris. Looking forward to seeing how this clutch holds up in comparison.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #151
tarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I've never had a failed clutch after 35-36 years of driving nothing but manuals
You've led a charmed life, my friend All clutch plates will eventually wear out, and I've had it happen a couple of times with older cars I've owned. Hopefully, your Yaris' will last long.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #152
cparker

Drives: 2014 Yaris L
Manual Transmission hard to find

I wanted to get a manual 2012 -2014 Yaris, but they're hard to find. If you buy a new one, I imagine a lot of times you have to special order it. When I looked at CarMax it seemed that most late model manuals are on the East Coast. Since these cars are built in France there's probably a higher concentration on the East coast. Am I right ? My 2014 Yaris is only the 2nd automatic I've owned in the 12 vehicles I've had over my lifetime. A manual is great for extra mpg and fun out on the open road, but in stop and go city driving I now prefer an automatic. I'm satisfied with 30 mpg city, 40 hwy. Just have to drive gently to get those figures.
cparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #153
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker View Post
A manual is great for extra mpg and fun out on the open road, but in stop and go city driving I now prefer an automatic.
Indeed. While I admit the possibility of higher MPGs with a manual transmission appealed to me for a moment I quickly came to my senses and remembered that I lived in New York City. Driving here with a manual is a major hassle. Call me a wimp if you want but I'll take the convenience of the auto in a situation like that.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #154
ardvark2175
ardvark

Drives: 2012 Yaris LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Hi guys,

Well, I'm over the 3,000 mile mark now and kind of regret getting the auto tranny. I was in a rush to get a car, knew I wanted a Yaris, had the option to get a MT, but decided on the AT and now regret it. Any other AT Yaris folk regret not getting the MT?
Should I trade mine in for a MT?
Hey bentjazz.
I was in a similar situation. Wanted a manual, but could only get the manual four door in the sport model, which I did not want. I purchased the 4 door automatic. I did regretted the lower fuel mileage and slightly lower acceleration. I have adjusted to the automatic transmission, and now am happy with the purchase. My fuel mileage did improve as the car broke in. At 20,000 miles my fuel mileage increases leveled off, and I now regularly get 38 and 40 mpg. As far as the acceleration, I have had to slightly adjust my driving habits. There are times I do slightly wish I had gotten the MT four door sport, but then I would not be happy with the stiffer suspension. I purchased my yaris in 2012. Although I did get the auto, I am VERY happy with the car. It was a good decision, and I feel I fully got my moneys worth. I am looking forward to years of trouble free driving. If I had to purchase again, I would make the same decision.
One note, my car will never perform like a MT, but, I have owned several used Toyotas with very high miles. I have never, not once had any trouble with their automatic transmissions. I also own a 1996 Toyota tercel with 300,000 miles on it. I did not trade it in, the dam thing runs to good to let it go.
Overall I believe after the break in period you will be extremely happy with your choice. I researched heavily for 9 months before purchase. Dollar for dollar, you have the best car available in today's
market.
Mike

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
ardvark2175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #155
tarkus

I've mainly driven manual cars myself, and they're huge fun to drive. However, I had to go automatic on my previous Echo (RIP) and my current Yaris, as other family members also needed to be able to drive them. I've been pleasantly surprised to find both cars still a lot of fun to drive, and with excellent fuel economy. With current technology, automatics are very close to manual transmissions for economy, and in the case of quality-built cars, like Toyotas, they will help give better long term reliability, due to reduced engine stress.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #156
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I've driven nothing but manuals in my 35 or so years of driving, and I'm still torn on whether I should have gotten an automatic at this stage of my life or not - though I still love manuals and shifting under the right driving conditions.

I just don't have as much patience with highly congested traffic, not that I am ever in it really that much thank goodness. Usually, I can just putter along in first or second gear constantly without shifting, leaving a big space between me and car in front of me to avoid constant stops and/or clutch engagement - though sometime people behind me get pissed that I am not racing up to the guy in front of me and braking, over and over and over and over again, like so many numskulls seem to do it in those levels of congestion. I would rather just drive at a constant snail pace in heavy traffic than go stop go stop go stop go stop etc.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #157
bassmannate

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
I've been driving manual my entire driving life. When we bought my wife's Yaris, I tried to convince her to get M/T. Glad we didn't because I have a M/T 2004 Corolla and hate driving it now that I live in the Chicago area. M/T is no fun in traffic. Loved driving manual until the last few years.

I am looking forward to when the Yaris is mine since she'll need a larger car for the kids.
bassmannate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #158
Roxstarr

Drives: 2015 Yaris
We had about 5 to choose from on a local lot. I don't regret the AT. I think it's a bit doggy with the eco, but overall for a city car it works for me. I could have gotten a MT for the same price, but it would have been a sedan very base package. I liked the offering of upgraded rims and some power options, love my coupe. I bet the MT is fun as heck to drive though (I miss driving one)! Truthfully, I miss having a tachometer.
Roxstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #159
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I occasionally get to drive manual transmission vehicles as rentals during my travels, which only reinforces my choice of getting an automatic in my 2008 Yaris. What "fun" there is in having to manipulate pedals and a shifter--especially in traffic--is beyond me. Plus, with the advancements in automatic transmission technologies in recent years, the days of the manual shift are numbered. The new ATs shift smoother, faster and more efficiently than the MTs. Luckily I also get to drive some new AT-equipped vehicles in such fun places as Germany and experience where the future of automotive performance is heading. MTs will soon become extinct, being the dinosaurs they are...
Old 10-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #160
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
I guess it depends on if you like shifting gears and holding the clutch down while waiting at stop lights. In my younger days I preferred a stick but now, give me an automatic. I will have to say, I don't like the shiter setup on my 15 model Yaris automatic.
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #161
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra View Post
I guess it depends on if you like shifting gears and holding the clutch down while waiting at stop lights. In my younger days I preferred a stick but now, give me an automatic. I will have to say, I don't like the shiter setup on my 15 model Yaris automatic.
I don't hold the clutch down at stop lights. I'm the worst mechanic on this forum, but I think holding the clutch in at stops while in gear wears the clutch. I keep it in neutral.

I've always enjoyed driving manual far more than auto. I've never owned an auto and don't think I ever will. Manuals just feel more responsive and given the fuel cut off feature, are more fuel efficient if you down shift.

MadMax makes a good point in that if you buy a hyper car, the double clutch / auto / paddle shifting is required to get the most out of the machine, but when given the choice between CVT or 6 speed in something like a new Honda Accord Sport, I'm taking the 6 speed every single time.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote