Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
DaleyDumpling

Drives: Yaris 1.0 vvti
Yaris 1.0VVTI Electrics issue - ECU?

Hi All, I have a 2002 Yaris VVTI which has served me well over many years, earlier today I left the headlights on and flattened the battery completely, I borrowed a set of jump leads and connected them to my neighbours car but as I connected them it sparked a little, I tried to start the car but although it turned over ok it wouldn't fire, also the dash lights never came on. I disconnected the leads and called the breakdown services, when they came they found a blown fuse in the inside fuse box (to the ECU apparently) and also one of the main fuses (130 amp I think he said) under the bonnet had also gone, he changed both fuses and although the dash lights all came back on and the engine turned over fine it still wouldn't fire, he tried connecting his diagnostics machine up but it couldn't connect to the ECU so his diagnosis is the ECU has fried and basically the car isn't worth repairing. I'm heartbroken as I've become quite attached to my Yaris, I did a bit of web searching earlier and found a post suggesting that if the ECU was fried the dash lights wouldn't wouldn't work at all so I have a glimmer of hope it might be something else.... any ideas greatly appreciated? Thanks
DaleyDumpling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
woops

Drives: Jeep Cherokee XJ 1996
is your car a JDM spec?
woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
DaleyDumpling

Drives: Yaris 1.0 vvti
No
DaleyDumpling is offline   Reply With Quote